Pursuing A MS in Finance Degree vs. MBA Degree

Basically, show epic progress this next year and absolutely destroy the GMAT. A 99 percentile score (>750). Lock up a job and work as hard as you can to get a promotion/show you are capable in a leadership/decision-making position. This is what great schools look for if you don't have the top grades. Some people do get in.

This is the information I really need. 
laugh.gif
 Constructive criticism. Some great info. I definitely know it will be time to bust my !%+ this last year and studying for these tests, even though I can't quite make up for the mistakes I made earlier in my collegiate career.

My grades really don't show exactly what I can bring to the table, but I do understand that entry-level jobs will look at that first. What about grades in my major courses? My grades in my Major/Minor courses are A's, B+'s and B's. Would they consider that more so than looking at my overall GPA? 

How many credits are you taking a semester?  If its the bareminimum, add another handful to boost that gpa.  18-21 credit hours asemester is do-able, even while working full-time.

I'm taking 18 hours this upcoming semester and finishing out with 15 hours my last semester. I did only take 12 hours this past semester and probably could've boosted it a little higher if I went all out and took a full load.

This is the information I really need. 
laugh.gif
 Constructive criticism. Some great info. I definitely know it will be time to bust my !%+ this last year and studying for these tests, even though I can't quite make up for the mistakes I made earlier in my collegiate career.

My grades really don't show exactly what I can bring to the table, but I do understand that entry-level jobs will look at that first. What about grades in my major courses? My grades in my Major/Minor courses are A's, B+'s and B's. Would they consider that more so than looking at my overall GPA? 

How many credits are you taking a semester?  If its the bareminimum, add another handful to boost that gpa.  18-21 credit hours asemester is do-able, even while working full-time.

I'm taking 18 hours this upcoming semester and finishing out with 15 hours my last semester. I did only take 12 hours this past semester and probably could've boosted it a little higher if I went all out and took a full load.

Simple answer

MS in Finance Degree > MBA Degree

Main reason

Getting a MBA when you already have a BA in Business Admin is pointless because you learn basically the same thing. An MBA is just about developing connections, you dont learn any new skills but with a MS in finance your developing a new skill.

The trend on Bay street (Canada's Wall street) is to hire someone with MS in Finance before a individual with a general MBA

Simple answer

MS in Finance Degree > MBA Degree

Main reason

Getting a MBA when you already have a BA in Business Admin is pointless because you learn basically the same thing. An MBA is just about developing connections, you dont learn any new skills but with a MS in finance your developing a new skill.

The trend on Bay street (Canada's Wall street) is to hire someone with MS in Finance before a individual with a general MBA

Since you have some time, when you go back to school, why don't you ask your professors? Most of your professors probably have day jobs and work in Nashville or in Franklin, which is big in the Healthcare industry.

I've looked into the MSF somewhat too, and I'd say look at the various programs and what courses you'd be taking. Some of the programs are more quant than others.

You say you want to be a CFO, so try to find various people who have those titles or have the ambition to do so. Whether that be your professors or your alumni network or even companies that hire on your campus, you should be able to find some people who can help steer you in the direction that you wish for.

Since you have some time, when you go back to school, why don't you ask your professors? Most of your professors probably have day jobs and work in Nashville or in Franklin, which is big in the Healthcare industry.

I've looked into the MSF somewhat too, and I'd say look at the various programs and what courses you'd be taking. Some of the programs are more quant than others.

You say you want to be a CFO, so try to find various people who have those titles or have the ambition to do so. Whether that be your professors or your alumni network or even companies that hire on your campus, you should be able to find some people who can help steer you in the direction that you wish for.

2 cents coming from someone with 1 year of professional work experience and owning my own business...

If I were you, I would use that internship experience to land a job in the Finance field... you said you'd like to do financial advisory - wealth management is a generally very accessible job for college graduates with business degrees, all you'd be required to do is have some sales skills and obtaining your licenses. This kind of position can also land you in banking if you'd like as the licenses are also used by personal bankers I believe. Alternatively, you should check to see if your university/school provides post-undergraduate certificate programs - which are 3 course programs that teach you specific skills and abilities within a specific field. Very useful and in my opinion, just as good as a graduate degree - because again, it teaches you specific skills that are used in that field.

It has also been from my experience and knowing about other MBA students/graduates that MBA school is not nearly as useful as many make it out to be. Personally, I would only get one if my employer was offering to pay for the education and secondly, if they were guaranteeing a promotion and raise with it. Otherwise, getting an MBA just to open your options up is not that good of an idea. I say go to MBA school if you have professional experience, ideally 2-4 years (most MBA students are in their late 20's with years of experience) and are looking to promote yourself within your own company by learning leadership abilities. Alternatively, MBA school is a great place to network with future or even current business leaders.

In my opinion, a more educational experience than business school or even MBA school is simply owning your own business. You learn so much by doing this, it opens your eyes to how business works, and eventually learn a lot about yourself and your own goals. As a business owner myself, I wish I had not majored in Business because I have learned more this past 6 months than I ever did my entire undergraduate experience.

Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll find your way.

2 cents coming from someone with 1 year of professional work experience and owning my own business...

If I were you, I would use that internship experience to land a job in the Finance field... you said you'd like to do financial advisory - wealth management is a generally very accessible job for college graduates with business degrees, all you'd be required to do is have some sales skills and obtaining your licenses. This kind of position can also land you in banking if you'd like as the licenses are also used by personal bankers I believe. Alternatively, you should check to see if your university/school provides post-undergraduate certificate programs - which are 3 course programs that teach you specific skills and abilities within a specific field. Very useful and in my opinion, just as good as a graduate degree - because again, it teaches you specific skills that are used in that field.

It has also been from my experience and knowing about other MBA students/graduates that MBA school is not nearly as useful as many make it out to be. Personally, I would only get one if my employer was offering to pay for the education and secondly, if they were guaranteeing a promotion and raise with it. Otherwise, getting an MBA just to open your options up is not that good of an idea. I say go to MBA school if you have professional experience, ideally 2-4 years (most MBA students are in their late 20's with years of experience) and are looking to promote yourself within your own company by learning leadership abilities. Alternatively, MBA school is a great place to network with future or even current business leaders.

In my opinion, a more educational experience than business school or even MBA school is simply owning your own business. You learn so much by doing this, it opens your eyes to how business works, and eventually learn a lot about yourself and your own goals. As a business owner myself, I wish I had not majored in Business because I have learned more this past 6 months than I ever did my entire undergraduate experience.

I graduated with a degree in Finance from Georgia Southern University (no top tier school either) in Dec 2009. I now have an internship thats going pretty well. You said you had a few in the past and honestly thats the best way to get into what you like. Anyone exposed to the corp world knows its not about "what" but "who." If you want a MSF get one. Who says you cant get a MBA as well?

Also, you better get out here in the workforce and try to become a certified Green Belt through Six Sigma training. To be young and have that on your resume is HUGE. Project management is all the rage these days. The reason is because if affects every business process there is. I never knew it before I started working but its def. a game changer.

Good luck in whatever you do OP.

I graduated with a degree in Finance from Georgia Southern University (no top tier school either) in Dec 2009. I now have an internship thats going pretty well. You said you had a few in the past and honestly thats the best way to get into what you like. Anyone exposed to the corp world knows its not about "what" but "who." If you want a MSF get one. Who says you cant get a MBA as well?

Also, you better get out here in the workforce and try to become a certified Green Belt through Six Sigma training. To be young and have that on your resume is HUGE. Project management is all the rage these days. The reason is because if affects every business process there is. I never knew it before I started working but its def. a game changer.

Good luck in whatever you do OP.

its all relative to location.....these dudes on NT kill me sometimes.....like 100k + job in america is held by some %#++%+#!%!*% from the Ivy league

its all relative to location.....these dudes on NT kill me sometimes.....like 100k + job in america is held by some %#++%+#!%!*% from the Ivy league

Originally Posted by Ducky Quack

This guy speaks the truth...I'm in one of those non-top 20 mba programs and feel as though it's overrated. The mba won't advance you very much unless a job specifically says so. I don't pay for mine so I win either way. The job field for an MS Finance is going to be more narrow but in the long-run will lead to a job that is more geared towards the exact needs of a company. I haven't got the official word yet but it looks like I'll be starting as a personal banker next month and I have an undergrad in econ from another non-top 20 school.

At the end of the day...job experience > education    

Originally Posted by Ducky Quack

This guy speaks the truth...I'm in one of those non-top 20 mba programs and feel as though it's overrated. The mba won't advance you very much unless a job specifically says so. I don't pay for mine so I win either way. The job field for an MS Finance is going to be more narrow but in the long-run will lead to a job that is more geared towards the exact needs of a company. I haven't got the official word yet but it looks like I'll be starting as a personal banker next month and I have an undergrad in econ from another non-top 20 school.

At the end of the day...job experience > education    

Well again it depends on what you wanna do. An MBA can get you into McKinsey then it's game over. They take hundreds every year

Well again it depends on what you wanna do. An MBA can get you into McKinsey then it's game over. They take hundreds every year

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Thank you!!! NT kills me with this if you're not at atop tier school non-sense.. I know plenty of people making 6 figures who didnt graduate from anivy league or top 25 school... My dad went to a HBCU and makes well into the 6 figures as do his brothers. Nt puts WAY too much emphasis on GPA and what school you attend.. that stuff means nohting when you actually get out in the field.  Its different since he's trying to apply to different grad school programs but you all kill me with this whole you need to go to an ivy league school to get a good job non-sense..  Half of the people saying that haven't even graduated high school yet.

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Thank you!!! NT kills me with this if you're not at atop tier school non-sense.. I know plenty of people making 6 figures who didnt graduate from anivy league or top 25 school... My dad went to a HBCU and makes well into the 6 figures as do his brothers. Nt puts WAY too much emphasis on GPA and what school you attend.. that stuff means nohting when you actually get out in the field.  Its different since he's trying to apply to different grad school programs but you all kill me with this whole you need to go to an ivy league school to get a good job non-sense..  Half of the people saying that haven't even graduated high school yet.

I can agree with some of the things being said about not having to graduate from a big time school to get a great job. Most of the people I've networked with in high positions didn't go to ivy league schools or even top 50 schools. Now in days, its more about who you know. I got some good connections, but I'm not simply trying to rely on that either. I want to be able to back it up with my education, resume and abilities as well especially when it comes to entry-level jobs in other areas.

The thing is, most of my connections are in the Memphis/Nashville area. If I'm trying to get out and venture into another state (in which people don't know me), I would have to show that education background. Job experience will look good as well though.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Young_Street86, have you already completed the Six Sigma training? If so, what was the process like for you? I've read a little about it online.

It has also been from my experience and knowing about other MBAstudents/graduates that MBA school is not nearly as useful as many makeit out to be. Personally, I would only get one if my employer wasoffering to pay for the education and secondly, if they wereguaranteeing a promotion and raise with it. Otherwise, getting an MBAjust to open your options up is not that good of an idea

I was also thinking about that as well. If I were to receive a job after graduating, would they be willing to pay for it. I do know of a few places that I've worked in the past that will pay for you to go to school. Its just all about getting hired full-time to work there and being able to stay long enough to where they would want you to go get your MBA.

I can agree with some of the things being said about not having to graduate from a big time school to get a great job. Most of the people I've networked with in high positions didn't go to ivy league schools or even top 50 schools. Now in days, its more about who you know. I got some good connections, but I'm not simply trying to rely on that either. I want to be able to back it up with my education, resume and abilities as well especially when it comes to entry-level jobs in other areas.

The thing is, most of my connections are in the Memphis/Nashville area. If I'm trying to get out and venture into another state (in which people don't know me), I would have to show that education background. Job experience will look good as well though.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Young_Street86, have you already completed the Six Sigma training? If so, what was the process like for you? I've read a little about it online.

It has also been from my experience and knowing about other MBAstudents/graduates that MBA school is not nearly as useful as many makeit out to be. Personally, I would only get one if my employer wasoffering to pay for the education and secondly, if they wereguaranteeing a promotion and raise with it. Otherwise, getting an MBAjust to open your options up is not that good of an idea

I was also thinking about that as well. If I were to receive a job after graduating, would they be willing to pay for it. I do know of a few places that I've worked in the past that will pay for you to go to school. Its just all about getting hired full-time to work there and being able to stay long enough to where they would want you to go get your MBA.

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

Try getting into McKinsey from a non-top 10 MBA. goodluck

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

Try getting into McKinsey from a non-top 10 MBA. goodluck

Back
Top Bottom