Raw Cell Phone Video Of Fatal BART Police Shooting

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Like I've said throughout this entire post - INTENT.

If he intended to kill the guy, or even shoot him with his gun...he should be sentenced to death.

However, like it's been reported and stated, if he honestly thought he was grabbing a taser, its a whole new level of circumstances.

Like the car scenario. If someone purposely aimed to hit you with a car, those are totally different circumstances then someone who didn't. Right?

BINGO

Yo...

My gut feeling is that this cop did this on accident. That may be the unpopular opinion but seriously...no idiot would point blank shoot a defenseless personwith a pistol in front of all of those people. Taser? Yeah. Pistol? Nah...

I was in a situation like this at the KY Derby. Some shooting happened around the corner. We couldn't leave from the scene because my idiot friend killedmy battery by blasting my system without the car on. We're like...1 of 2 cars left in the area. The other was a group of girls we knew. As we was waitingon a jump, this cop comes over and asks why we was still there. We tell him about my car. He leaves. An non uniformed cop comes up and asks if we were okay. Wesay yeah. He leaves. There are like...20 cop cars in the area by now. The cop comes back...asks if we have any weapons. My friends had 2 registered pistols inthe car so my friend starts off like..."Well, sir. We are registered..." He couldn't even finish. This cop pulls his gun out facing the back ofmy friend's head and is screaming hysterically like his life was in danger. "Help! Help! They've got guns over here!!!" We was just +%%@+!+standing there waiting on a jump.
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

We get on our knees and I get completely smashed into the ground by like 8 cops...all asking where was my weapon. I didn't have no damn weapon.
eyes.gif
But I did have about 4 knees into the back, some on my legs, and one to my head.

%*$$ the police...but I think this cop made an idiot mistake. You can see him turn around like...what did I just do?! And the other cops look backlike..."Dude...what the %*$$?"

Oh well too bad for him..so with what you went through with the cops you are saying he did this on purpose..because you are saying you were waiting on ajump..your friend said the weapons were registered, so were all that necessary..NO..I think there are better ways to resolve an issue and for those sayingthink about how federal prison will be like..hey I don;t wanna ever go to jail or see what it's like you feel me. I stay outta trouble.

Originally Posted by Ajwings23

That's right..are they suppose to have the taser and their gun at the same spot? I don't know.
I mean an officer should know what to do..there was no pressure or what so ever on him. He wasn't by himself to say he felt so threatened
by the dude..
The other aspect of the taser is BART doesn't issue one to every officer. They're shared amongst everyone on the force, therefore,there's often times they don't carry one at all.
Let's say you carried one for a week or two straight, but then due to NYE, you don't because they're aren't enough of them. The habit you havecreated over the last week or two could have possibly led you to instinctively grab your gun while subconsciously thinking its a taser since you're used tocarrying one.

Its not like this all happened in 10 minutes, the decision, action and result were all in a matter of a few seconds. He reacted, wrongly, but I hope to Godeven among the sickest criminals he never would have intended to kill a man like this.

You have a train and platform full, numerous officers, cameras on the platform and on the train, plus those with cell phones....

And, to top it off...he just became a father. If you've been around any new father, for the most part (at least those who wanted to become one)they're generally more compasionate than someone who would kill a person in cold blood like its being portrayed. Maybe he was on edge given what washappening in his life plus NYE, its bad judgement for sure, on both his and BARTs, but I can see where a tragic mistake could occur.

No.

Don't get me wrong, throughout all I've said, I'm not defending his actions more so than I'm establishing the possibility that he didn'tpurposely attempt and kill a man.

A man is dead regardless, so he should be held accountable for those actions. If he made an ignorant mistake, then he should be held to it.

But a mistake without intent shouldn't cost the guy his life as well.

I just watched this video and it brought me back to the 92 riots. That could be any one of us right there getting shot by a moronic police officer. I seriouslywant to break something right now.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

I just watched this video and it brought me back to the 92 riots. That could be any one of us right there getting shot by a moronic police officer. I seriously want to break something right now.

Slightly different circumstances....those officers didn't think they were being filmed and no witnesses were around, or so they thought....right?

No.

Don't get me wrong, throughout all I've said, I'm not defending his actions more so than I'm establishing the possibility that he didn't purposely attempt and kill a man.

A man is dead regardless, so he should be held accountable for those actions. If he made an ignorant mistake, then he should be held to it.

i understand what youre saying.. but i watched the vid and i still dont see why he felt like he needed to pull out a weapon (whether its a taser or a gun) ..it wasnt a chaotic situation .. everyone seemed somewhat subdued and restrained.. it just doesnt make sense..

RIP to the victim

I found some more info.

[h1]Death threats against BART officer[/h1]
(01-06) 22:06 PST San Francisco -- Johannes Mehserle, the BART police officer who fatally shot a man on the Fruitvale Station platform in Oakland early New Year's Day, is being kept under wraps and moved from place to place after receiving a number of death threats, BART spokesman Linton Johnson confirmed Tuesday night.

Mehserle, 27, a two-year veteran of the BART police force, shot and killed 22-year-old Oscar Grant of Hayward as Grant lay face-down on the station platform following a fight between two groups on a train.

While the nature of the threats hasn't been revealed, Johnson said at least one of the threats was made to Mehserle's family. As a result, he has been moved twice.

Mehserle is described as "devastated" over the shooting, but has yet to give a statement to investigators. Johnson said the delay was caused when Mehserle's attorney showed up at the station within two hours of the shooting and invoked the officer's right to "retain counsel and not say anything."

Probes by BART police and the Alameda County district attorney were further hampered because investigators were off over the holiday weekend.

On Friday, Mehserle's girlfriend had a baby - and then, to further complicate matters, BART passengers' videos of the Fruitvale Station incident began showing up on the airwaves. BART lawyers and brass have been in scramble mode ever since.

Johnson said Mehserle's attorney "has not made it easy to schedule him for an interview, but hopefully he'll be coming in very soon."

Odds are: If Mehserle is charged with a crime in Grant's shooting, it will be a first.

No one we talked with - from the district attorney's office to lawyers who work either side of police shootings - could remember a case in the last 20 years in which an on-duty officer had been charged in a fatal shooting in Alameda County.

"By and large, police officers have been reacting to some type of situation before they shoot someone that usually provides a legal justification," said District Attorney Tom Orloff, who has seen dozens of police shooting cases during his nearly four-decade career as a prosecutor.

Orloff, whose office would ultimately decide whether Mehserle should be charged with anything, hastened to point out that many details about the Fruitvale Station shooting remain unknown and that it is far too early to know whether the case will enter the criminal arena.

The most recent controversial police shooting in Alameda County happened July 25, when Oakland police Officer Hector Jimenez shot a drunken-driving suspect in the back as the man ran from an early morning traffic stop in the Fruitvale District.

Police said Jimenez shot 27-year-old Mack "Jody" Woodfox III because he thought Woodfox was reaching into his waistband for a gun, although no gun was found. Jimenez gave the same reason for taking part in the fatal shooting New Year's Eve 2007 of another man, Andrew Moppin, who, like Woodfox, turned out to be unarmed.

Police and a deputy from the district attorney's office interviewed Jimenez after the Woodfox shooting, then went out to the scene at night and re-enacted the incident as the officer related it.

The result - although technically the case is still pending, no charges have been filed.

John Burris, the Grant family's attorney, has sued Oakland police on behalf of the Woodfox family, filing a $25 million civil rights suit in federal court.

Burris filed a legal claim in the BART case Tuesday, a precursor to what he says will be another $25 million suit.

"Police don't get charged because D.A.'s and police work together, so they sort of get a pass," Burris said.

"That's why you have lawyers like myself. If you didn't, nothing would be done."

So most likely this cop will get a slap in the wrist.
mad.gif

RIP Oscar Grant (22 years young)
mn-bart05_ph_gra_0499620499.jpg

Finally saw vid of this. This is a travesty of justice!
smh.gif

robot cops for 2015, come on big O make it happen.
If this guy gets off all hell is going to break loose in Oakland.

jeyel wrote:
LazyJ10 wrote:
No.

Don't get me wrong, throughout all I've said, I'm not defending his actions more so than I'm establishing the possibility that he didn't purposely attempt and kill a man.

i understand what youre saying.. but i watched the vid and i still dont see why he felt like he needed to pull out a weapon (whether its a taser or a gun) .. it wasnt a chaotic situation .. everyone seemed somewhat subdued and restrained.. it just doesnt make sense..

RIP to the victim

- some people are just scared of too many black people in one place, especially in a potentially hostile situation. i cant remember that amount of times iveseen a group of black kids doing any number of things non violent, not even being loud or causing a ruckus. but someone (usually older or white) walked by,seen it, and called the police or security because (in their words) "it looked like there was going to be a fight".
- im sure subconsciously they see it as being trapped in a cage with a bunch of wild animals or something. the animal may not even be paying any attention tothem, but the surrounding noise and their fear causes them to do something extremely stupid in fear for their life when there was nothing to be fearfulof......the situation was under control.

That's right..are they suppose to have the taser and their gun at the same spot? I don't know.
I mean an officer should know what to do..there was no pressure or what so ever on him. He wasn't by himself to say he felt so threatened
by the dude..
The other aspect of the taser is BART doesn't issue one to every officer. They're shared amongst everyone on the force, therefore, there's often times they don't carry one at all.
Let's say you carried one for a week or two straight, but then due to NYE, you don't because they're aren't enough of them. The habit you have created over the last week or two could have possibly led you to instinctively grab your gun while subconsciously thinking its a taser since you're used to carrying one.

Its not like this all happened in 10 minutes, the decision, action and result were all in a matter of a few seconds. He reacted, wrongly, but I hope to God even among the sickest criminals he never would have intended to kill a man like this.

You have a train and platform full, numerous officers, cameras on the platform and on the train, plus those with cell phones....

And, to top it off...he just became a father. If you've been around any new father, for the most part (at least those who wanted to become one) they're generally more compasionate than someone who would kill a person in cold blood like its being portrayed. Maybe he was on edge given what was happening in his life plus NYE, its bad judgement for sure, on both his and BARTs, but I can see where a tragic mistake could occur.

It doesn't matter if he is a father or wanted to be one that bad..if he thought about his family that much he wouldn't have done what he did.
And about the whole cameras thing..you should know technology doesn't stop people to act stupid..that's no excuse ma dude..like i said before..thewhole taser gun thing..me personally I don't know but just thinking about it..a gun and a taser gun won't be at the same place..so what he can shootsomeone and say sorry he really wanted to taser him but forgot he didn't have his taser gun today..come on be real.

Originally Posted by what are you gonna do

the cops gonna get off spot free, funny how it works

no way that happens. Do you know how much court time/paperwork you have to do when you decided to pull out your gun on duty. You have to be able to justifyevery action you take. There's no way this guy can justify what he did. In the end he'll most likely lose his job and go to jail. Sometimes examplesneed to be made. I'm sure they'll make an example out of a 2 year BART officer.

by the dude..
The other aspect of the taser is BART doesn't issue one to every officer. They're shared amongst everyone on the force, therefore, there's often times they don't carry one at all.
Let's say you carried one for a week or two straight, but then due to NYE, you don't because they're aren't enough of them. The habit you have created over the last week or two could have possibly led you to instinctively grab your gun while subconsciously thinking its a taser since you're used to carrying one.

Its not like this all happened in 10 minutes, the decision, action and result were all in a matter of a few seconds. He reacted, wrongly, but I hope to God even among the sickest criminals he never would have intended to kill a man like this.

And, to top it off...he just became a father. If you've been around any new father, for the most part (at least those who wanted to become one) they're generally more compasionate than someone who would kill a person in cold blood like its being portrayed. Maybe he was on edge given what was happening in his life plus NYE, its bad judgement for sure, on both his and BARTs, but I can see where a tragic mistake could occur.

It doesn't matter if he is a father or wanted to be one that bad..if he thought about his family that much he wouldn't have done what he did.
And about the whole cameras thing..you should know technology doesn't stop people to act stupid..that's no excuse ma dude..like i said before..the whole taser gun thing..me personally I don't know but just thinking about it..a gun and a taser gun won't be at the same place..so what he can shoot someone and say sorry he really wanted to taser him but forgot he didn't have his taser gun today..come on be real.
Dude, its about circumstances and intent. You're assuming he did what he did on purpose by that. Which is the argument at hand. Did heintend to kill the guy or not? The end result is death, but its certainly a matter of how it got to that point.

from how it got that point no one really know but the people at the scene..but it's clear that it wasn't necessary..going that far and taking out a gunI will say was intentional.

do NOT give him the electric chair...put his !!@ in a cell, I guarantee you once the inmates find out who he is, he will not last a year..

Back
Top Bottom