Saw SHUTTER ISLAND tonight- vol. yes, it's better than The Departed **Spoilers within**

Great movie!

totally mind blowing, but in a good way

I love hearing all of these theories because there are justifications either way!

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

there really shouldn't be any sort of argument regarding if leo was crazy or if he was tricked. the fact that they showed the scene of how dolores drowned the kids and got shot by andrew brought everything together. scorsese didn't add it for no reason.

This. I thought it was pretty clear that he was crazy, and everyone going along with it was apart of his treatment. 
My question is: Did they say his trembling and migraines were  withdrawal from the medication or from alcohol? 

Good thread.

Me and the wifey talked about the movie the whole way home, and there ain't nothing like a good $$+ movie to get you thinking.

After I left the theatre, I was 110% sure that Leo was crazy, but the theories that some of you have for Leo being sane is on point.

I'm still sticking to what RFX has been preaching, but there's been good debate on the other side.

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

If he was really such a danger... why would they let him freely run with Chuck? 
I thought it was all part of the intricate role play and they knew that risk going into it.
What makes him special that they did this "role playing" treatment with him but nobody else?
He was a highly intelligent patient that they saw had a potential for recovery.
Doesn't really seem like to good of an idea to just let him mingle with other crazies if he was one of them as well.
They weren't actually patients they were actors within the role play.

Really enjoyed it.
After watching the movie I believe he was crazy but a couple of things question my theory and have me thinking it could of been a set up....
1) if Leo was the most dangerous and feared patient, how was he able to sleep in the same room as the orderlies without someone watching him. Even though he might have been 100% committed into his role as Teddy at that time, its logical to think he can snap anytime.

2) if he was so feared by all the other patients, why weren't the patients he was interviewing even remotely scared of him. Even though guards were present, the patients didn't even seem nervous around Leo.

3) don't know how relevant this one is since I don't know anything about withdrawals and stuff like that but here it goes......Kingsley told Leo that they haven't been giving him his meds for a couple of weeks which were causing him to go through withdrawal. Now when u're going through that for not taking ur meds is it OK to give them aspirin?

My bad if these question were already postrd

I was expecting a little more. I left confused. I still don't know if he was really crazy or they was making him seem crazy at the end. The "Would you rather live like a monster or die as a good man"  line through me for a loop. Like is he accepting death because he know he isn't crazy and he really is a good man or would he wana continue to live as the monster they tried to convince him to be. Feel Me? Does anybody understand what I'm trying to say?

yea after further thought, there are plenty of key details in this movie.

crazy or not, hes in an institution to help him, maybe the treatments did help him in the end so he "died a good man"

the whole part about a trauma causing someone to go crazy and using that trauma to convince said person they are crazy plays a big part.

now the other part is the way they handle treatment with either drugs and time and care

so whose to say after 2+ years on the island that he overcame his trauma and dealt with his monster

the ending had me confused as HELL... honestly, when i was walking out of the theater i literally questioned whether or not i was insane myself
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 18key

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

btw when leo laid his dead daughter on the grass anyone see her legs move, like ALOT
Haha yeah. I was like wth? Did everyone involved with the movie miss this?
laugh.gif
yeah, those little kids were moving like %%@$... you could see thembreathing and everything. my little cousin could have done a betterjob.

i got the whole point of the movie and all (Leo was crazy)... BUT,think about it. his wife drowned their three children, he comes homeand sees what happened, he kills his wife... why were they making himout to be some terrible monster? when they said "what you have done isso monstrous that you cant even bear to face it" or something to thateffect, i actually thought they'd reveal that he was the one who hadkilled his children AND his wife. there were probably patients onShutter Island who had done worse than kill their psychotic, murdererwives.

there were some
laugh.gif
points in the movie too... people in the theater were rollin at all the mentally insane characters

I was one of the people who believed that Leo was sane prior to arriving to Shutter Island for many reasons. Think about the ending, where Ben Kingsley's character was literally recording Teddy and asking him to confess the "true" story. I felt that they were just trying to get evidence to be able to show the people Teddy worked for, that he indeed had gone crazy. The way they were asking him questions was eerie to me, made it seem like they needed him to say it out loud to have the proof they needed to keep him there against his will.... At that point Teddy internally had taken the L.. and realized that they had really pulled a number on him and there was nothing he could do about it.

Spoiler [+]
Delbert Grady:No sir, YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I ought to know: I've always been here

Is the line I keep thinking of when theories are passed around.

Spoiler [+]
When they went into the graveyard and ended up inside the little tomb(?) and the guy knew where to find them, was it because they already did this before? 

THIS WHOLE THING IS A SPOILER.

My whole take of the ending was that Teddy was in fact crazy. The whole thing about his wife killing their children and then him killing his wife because she killed the children was true. He mentioned how his wife had a mental illness and by not helping her, he actually indirectly aided his wife in killing his own children. He was then cured for the second time in the movie (the doctor told him of the time he was cured 9 months before, but relapsed).

Now that he has been cured, at the end it's made to seem that he has relapsed back again when his doctor comes up to him at the steps and he goes into the delusional role of a Federal Marshal again. But then he says the quote along the lines of "I'd rather die a good man than live a monster." This tells you that he's still aware of the truth, but now even though he's cured, he can't live knowing he aided in killing his children and killing his wife (this would be living as a monster) so he would rather get the lobotomy to erase his memory (this would be symbolism for death and with no recollection of the past he has a clean slate to be a good person).

Also, if you remember how the guards were on edge in the beginning of the movie, this would make sense because Teddy was one of their most dangerous patients and was essentially free to do whatever he wanted.

I can't respect this movie, despite liking both the director and the lead actor and all of their past work.

The plot seams simple and cliche, another big named star studded attempt to bring in money.

Meh... I'm waiting for Green Zone with Damon and Greengrass.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

I can't respect this movie, despite liking both the director and the lead actor and all of their past work.

The plot seams simple and cliche, another big named star studded attempt to bring in money.

Meh... I'm waiting for Green Zone with Damon and Greengrass.

lol these folks ain't worried about no money. This was never meant to be a "blockbuster" 
laugh.gif

SPOILER.

The movie would have been a thousand times better if the ending went out with a closeup of Leo's face and some really creepy piano music, this also would have justified the whole movie.

Spoiler [+]
So what is it with this Rachel Solando person in the beginning? Why is she in Teddy's dreams (assuming she isn't Teddy's wife) and why does she call him Jim?

Originally Posted by illmatic34

Spoiler [+]
So what is it with this Rachel Solando person in the beginning? Why is she in Teddy's dreams (assuming she isn't Teddy's wife) and why does she call him Jim?
Spoiler [+]
she was a nurse

doosta45 wrote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker

like, i had no idea who was telling the truth near the end
this

what was the deal with the scratching of the notepad by leo, didnt get that.

One of the little many things to let me know he was indeed crazy the whole time......

How else would he know that would get under the patients skin? I think he subconsciously knew the patient.

Back
Top Bottom