Snowboarders Please Enter..

Great channel for sure. Watched his videos a lot when I first started out, which helped out! 
pimp.gif

Hah! I just watched that last night. He has a great channel, and some great tips from youtube. Pretty eager to go back up ASAP so I can try. I was contemplating buying a used board on CL, since this would be my 3rd time renting. But the deal I wanted got swooped up :smh:
Keep your eye on evo. They have some steals from time to time.

Thanks for all the info and tips fellas!

I will check out evo. I now know why people rave when winter comes and they can board/ski. It's fun as hell.

Been riding for almost 5 seasons now going into 6. Was falling leaf for the first season and half, but my experience got much better once I learned how to ride toe-side.

Best advice I can give anyone trying to board for the first time is to be patient and learn your turns properly. You'll save yourself from a lot of frustration and bengay :lol:

The video posted above is good for reference, but once you get a lot better and go down tougher trails, you won't have the time to guide your turns with your arms as the video instructs. The key is to keep your entire upper body still. Experienced riders will only move from the hips down, especially maneuvering out of corners quickly. You know you have it down when you can properly carve and ride on your edge as your turn. eg. you'll see a line on the snow as your go on your toe side (reg stance, opp. for goofy).

Be careful carving and riding on your edge as your turn, because you'll pick up speed and may find yourself in a situation where you'll have to stop and you may land on your face, which is never fun.

Also, if you are learning and on a green, do everyone a favor and try to stay on the sides of the trail. Skiers are notorious for using the entire width of a trail as they turn. Makes it really hard for others to "bomb" the trail :lol:

Do not go on a blue or a black if you're not totally comfortable riding toe side. They may seem easy or similar to a green, but some trails will have certain parts with drop offs and you may catch some air or even some times be on a part of a trail thats too steep. I've seen many beginners fall trapped to this and then you see them going down the trail sliding from their *** :rofl:

Last edited:
albeit im still not great at it, the way i learned to toe-turn/slide was to 'see-saw' down a decent sized run, maybe a little bigger than the bunny slope. kinda like when most people first learn how to snowboard, they have you on your heels and go side to side down a hill little by little. i just did the same thing toe-side

im itching to snowboarding so bad. i went like two weeks ago in flagstaff but fog was so thick, they closed the lifts early. might head to big bear sometime soon

albeit im still not great at it, the way i learned to toe-turn/slide was to 'see-saw' down a decent sized run, maybe a little bigger than the bunny slope. kinda like when most people first learn how to snowboard, they have you on your heels and go side to side down a hill little by little. i just did the same thing toe-side

im itching to snowboarding so bad. i went like two weeks ago in flagstaff but fog was so thick, they closed the lifts early. might head to big bear sometime soon

Yea thats what I was planning on doing on my next trip. Just committing to the toe-side a couple runs facing up the mountain on some small bunny or bunny like slopes. Homewood was nice because it wasn't crowded and I wasn't getting into anyones way or board/ski time.

I just bought my first pair of ski boots, they were comfortable in the store but when I got home and tried them on with ski sock they felt very tight and hurt the side of my foot. Should I go back and get the larger size??? (I wore them at home for about 30mins. Walked around in them for about 5 mins the other 25 was wearing them while watching tv)

I just bought my first pair of ski boots, they were comfortable in the store but when I got home and tried them on with ski sock they felt very tight and hurt the side of my foot. Should I go back and get the larger size??? (I wore them at home for about 30mins. Walked around in them for about 5 mins the other 25 was wearing them while watching tv)

Ski boots are generally very tight/stiff.

Yes I understand that they should be tight, but this tightness hurts the side of my foot.

You should try to see if you can break them in through a day of skiing.

I purchased a pair of Solomon Synapse BOA boots (very similar to ski boots in terms of stiffness and response) a few seasons ago and remember experiencing the same discomfort you're describing. I took them back to the shop where I purchased them and the guy suggested I try to break them in by riding for a full day. After a few hours, I didn't feel the discomfort anymore and now LOVE my boots. I'm not crazy about the BOA technology, but that's a separate topic for a separate discussion.

Try talking to the shop where you bought your boots from and see if they'll allow you to wear the boots for a day. If not, go a size up, but you're running of risk of breaking them in and finding yourself with a loose fit, which is NOT a good thing. Especially when you're skiing.

Last edited:
If your feet are size 11 up, you need a wide board. Length wise, should be a few inches shorter than where your nose is

Yes I understand that they should be tight, but this tightness hurts the side of my foot.

You should try to see if you can break them in through a day of skiing.

I purchased a pair of Solomon Synapse BOA boots (very similar to ski boots in terms of stiffness and response) a few seasons ago and remember experiencing the same discomfort you're describing. I took them back to the shop where I purchased them and the guy suggested I try to break them in by riding for a full day. After a few hours, I didn't feel the discomfort anymore and now LOVE my boots. I'm not crazy about the BOA technology, but that's a separate topic for a separate discussion.

Try talking to the shop where you bought your boots from and see if they'll allow you to wear the boots for a day. If not, go a size up, but you're running of risk of breaking them in and finding yourself with a loose fit, which is NOT a good thing. Especially when you're skiing.

Couple points Id add to this, specific to ski boots

Do both feet hurt the same? If its just one foot, then you might need a shop technician to grind out some more space in the plastic. You can choose this option for both boots if you want, but if they hurt the same then its possible its not the right fit

There are also aftermarket boot-liner options that are vastly superior to what comes with most boots. They have liners that give a better lockdown fit and are thinner and less bulky all at the same time. So this may be something to look into. Some of these liners are not cheap (couple hundred) but they're a lot cheaper than a new pair of boots if you're past the ability to return

Lastly, if you can return and decide to do that, keep in mind that some brands are known for a narrow fit

looks like snowboarding soon .. What board size would y'all suggest for a newbie? Go by recommended charts or size a little differently

Get a board that has a height up to your nose. If you're above a size 11 shoe, you will need to get a wide board.

If you want to go fast, get a longer board (closer to your eyes). If you want more control and maneuverability, get a board with height shorter than nose.

Since you're new, I'd suggest you get something closer to your nose or shorter. You want to be comfortable going in and out of turns before you start wanting to go fast.

If you end up getting a taller board, you'll find yourself going fast, but you'll have a harder time with turns. Not that you wont be able to make proper turns, but it'll require more effort on your part. It's actually not a bad way to make yourself a better rider :lol:

When i started riding, I bought a Burton Custom X that was up to my forehead. I'm 5'10" 200 lb for reference. I had a really tough time controlling that board, but once I got the hang of it, it made me a much better rider because of it. Sometimes my friends and I will swap boards for a few runs and they absolutely can't control my board (riding 2015 Burton Custom X). They find themselves struggling with turns and the margin for error is VERY slim. One mistake and you'll be eating snow.

Just some things to think about.

Last edited:
looks like snowboarding soon .. What board size would y'all suggest for a newbie? Go by recommended charts or size a little differently
Personally I believe weight plays a more important role than height. Use one of those weight calculators. I use a 158 and a 156 and I weigh 180lbs.

Edit. Other than that I think you've got some really good advice in the post above mine. I'd also suggest sticking with a shorter board while you're learning. 

Last edited:
Personally I believe weight plays a more important role than height. Use one of those weight calculators. I use a 158 and a 156 and I weigh 180lbs.
these are facts. How spongy the board feels will depend more on your weight. I'm 6'1 and I would never consider riding anything over 161 but I can't really ride noodles because I'm so heavy. Stiffness compared to your body is something they could incorporate in these charts.

Last edited:
Best advice is hit a legit mountain and demo a few boards to get an idea of what you're most comfortable on.

@GRIMEYY  Where do you board? 

For anyone looking for boards, try out a few Never Summers if you can. Check craigslist, kijiji and snowboardingforum.com if you're on a budget, they're not the cheapest boards, and want to go second hand. I bought my first one second hand from some guy who reviewed it and sold it to me for half price after one day on it. Never looked back since, I've tried quite a few boards but these are my absolute favourite. One of the few boards that performs as well as they look. Of course you're going to want to develop a riding style or preference before really deciding on a board. 

Last edited:
gsmokez gsmokez Usually Blue Mountain. But Ill go to Glen Eden on days where Im lazy to drive the 2 hours or if Im going with noobs

@gsmokez Usually Blue Mountain. But Ill go to Glen Eden on days where Im lazy to drive the 2 hours or if Im going with noobs
Nice, I've been going to Blue and Mt St Louis for years, figured I'd check out Glen Eden this season just for convenience. 

@GRIMEYY
 Where do you board? 

For anyone looking for boards, try out a few Never Summers if you can. Check craigslist, kijiji and snowboardingforum.com if you're on a budget, they're not the cheapest boards, and want to go second hand. I bought my first one second hand from some guy who reviewed it and sold it to me for half price after one day on it. Never looked back since, I've tried quite a few boards but these are my absolute favourite. One of the few boards that performs as well as they look. Of course you're going to want to develop a riding style or preference before really deciding on a board. 

View media item 2287044
I came real close to pulling the trigger on that proto you really like it?

Last edited:

@gsmokez Usually Blue Mountain. But Ill go to Glen Eden on days where Im lazy to drive the 2 hours or if Im going with noobs
Nice, I've been going to Blue and Mt St Louis for years, figured I'd check out Glen Eden this season just for convenience. 
Glen Eden is a spot you go for a quick fix 
laugh.gif
 It honestly gets boring after a few runs, just because their "Black Diamond" is barely a Green at Blue Mountain 

I came real close to pulling the trigger on that proto you really like it?
It's amazing, I love it. I really do feel like it does it all. Of course since it's the all purpose board there are other comparable boards from other manufacturers but I've got nothing bad to say about the Proto. Its nothing short of amazing. 

Glen Eden is a spot you go for a quick fix 
laugh.gif
 It honestly gets boring after a few runs, just because their "Black Diamond" is barely a Green at Blue Mountain 
Yeah I figured that'd be the case, we'll see. It'll be my first time going, and then I'm off to Tremblant in February. 

Back
Top Bottom