STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Any strong papis got good chicken breast recipes? A lil tired of the blandness 
I either do regular adobo, more pepper, some parsley.
Or let them marinate in some Italian dressing. Some extra seasoning if you like and then in the oven they go
450 degrees for 20-25min depending how big the pieces are. Comes out juicy too

Never squated more than 225 just because I never felt confident. But I know I can. Deadlifts Im still tweaking my form, I tend pull with my groin if that make any sense similar to a squat and it hurt my groin where my thigh bone connect with my pelvis. Haven't dead lift any more than 295 once. ,Broke 315 off the ground 1 inch and that's it.

Not necessarily, bench doesn't really factor into squat or deadlift strength.

For real. :lol:

What the hell your chest have to do with your posterior chain?

There's plenty dudes at my gym wearing jeans and Timbs benching 3 plates for reps but couldn't squat their body weight.

What exactly are you asking? Most PLers squat with a low bar position because it uses more muscle groups thus helping you move more weight.

It seems the low bar squat is using the back with hold the weight hence the leaning forward, while the high bar squat upright.

What muscle groups are working in he low bar to get the weight down and up?

"When you drop the bar a little lower on your back, you’re effectively decreasing how long the lever of your torso is for the movement. It’s like moving the 25-pound plate a little closer to your shoulder and farther from your wrist. The same basic principle applies to how far forward your knees track. Since they typically won’t track quite as far forward when squatting low bar, that’s also analogous to moving the 25-pound plate a bit closer to your shoulder. That means that your muscles don’t have to produce quite as much force to produce the required torque to overcome the resistance."

http://strengtheory.com/its-time-to-end-this-nonsense-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squatting/

pretty good article explaining it.

To answer your question there isn't much of a difference in muscle activation high bar vs low bar according to the article. Most people can squat 10-15% higher weights at low bar due to the above mentioned torque vs resistance.

Also, the way I understand it is that high bar squatting is more of a quad dominant exercise. Low bar squatting you're really getting more assistance from glutes and hams.

Basically this.

I'd say that the majority of casual gym go-ers are between the two.

A true low bar squat is a weird thing to get used to. It doesnt feel normal, at allll. :lol:

Good job Hendrix.

Agree with the statement about guys having good bench but no other strength, saw a guy about 50 years old or so hit 500 for a double the other night on bench and can barely quarter squat 315 :lol:

Nah, I don't feel good benching heavy. I have metal plates in my arm that just sends a shooting pain up and down my arm. It's not worth it to me, I won't injure myself but it's not worth the pain.

I also can't curl more than 25 pounds in my right arm because of that. :lol:

^^^

Some real nice #'s for 165 my man, I see you.

Thanks, man. I won't be happy til I have a combined total of at least 1000.

Funnily enough, with the exception of bench all my lifts were better last August while weighing 150. I got lazy and took several months off while getting tattooed.

I was bored as hell and restless at work last night so I decided to workout at the gym at my job. They only had 15 pound dumbells so I decided to do 5 sets of max reps with it and do sets of 10 of pull ups. It was a decent workout. Idk what happened to all the equipment at work. They used to have a squat rack and a bar and plates and everything [emoji]128557[/emoji]

There's also a basketball court at work. I wanted to shoot around but they locked up all the basketballs :lol:

Last edited:
Good job Hendrix.

Agree with the statement about guys having good bench but no other strength, saw a guy about 50 years old or so hit 500 for a double the other night on bench and can barely quarter squat 315
laugh.gif
That's funny because I know a hell of a lot of guy who can DL and squat some serious weight for their size (im talking 160lb> dudes with 405 squats) but their upper body strength is complete 
sick.gif

Good job Hendrix.

Agree with the statement about guys having good bench but no other strength, saw a guy about 50 years old or so hit 500 for a double the other night on bench and can barely quarter squat 315 :lol:

That's funny because I know a hell of a lot of guy who can DL and squat some serious weight for their size (im talking 160lb> dudes with 405 squats) but their upper body strength is complete :x

I'm 169 right now and can do 3X10 of 225 on bench. I can barely squat 135 3X12 right now. And I'm scared to do heavy weight on DL. My issue is the torn meniscus, which makes my mechanics for lower body god awful. I'm sure part of it is mental also, but yeah I feel like a pansy doing just 1 plate for anything While 60 year old men are reppin out after me with 3,4, and 5 plates on each end :rofl:

Torn meniscus? How old is the injury? You had it repaired? Removed? Or left it alone? If it's an old injury, don't be scared b...and I mean that in a respectful way.

Last edited:
Torn meniscus? How old is the injury? You had it repaired? Removed? Or left it alone? If it's an old injury, don't be scared b...and I mean that in a respectful way.

A year from surgery. Removed 50% of my left knee, the medial side. The biomechanics of my knee is all out of whack, so my movements are really awkward and unpredictable. I've done a lot of physical therapy but yeah I'm still struggling with the movements which scares me.

I can relate. I had knee surgery myself, for a torn acl. A yr should be more than enough to recover from meniscus removal. Your roadblock is likely mental unless your doctors f'ed up the surgery.

But I can understand the mental roadblock. I been there.

They've mentioned it could also just be the muscle memory issue. I'm used to running, jumping, squatting a certain way and with the knee being structurally different, it forces me to move differently and build new muscle memory related to those movements. I feel like DROSE when he would sit out games even though team docs said his knee was fine. Post acl surgery, do you use any sort of braces or wraps?

I used a knee brace for a while. I can't tell you how long I used them for. Hard to remember now cuz the surgery was 12 years ago. I don't use anything for my knee anymore.

The other day at was at one of the 24s I got to (since they have the heavier dumbbells, rubberized, too) and I saw a dude tie rubber bands around the 125s. He was tying 5lb plates to the ends using those thicker bands.

I thought it was genius. I haven't been able to hit the 115lbs since they're not at my usual gym. So I finally found what I was looking for on Amazon and am gonna try the same thing. Would make life easier (just throw 5/10lb plates on the 100 lb dumbbells, never have to worry about gym's missing ****). I'll report back.

To y'all who have had knee surgery, how long were you out of commission? I may need to get my right knee checked out eventually but I'm scared imma be out for too long if I need surgery :smh:. It's not awful pain but every now and then it's pretty bad and it's tough to squat or deadlift. I completely stopped doing leg curls and extensions cause those would have my knee wrecked for weeks after

That's funny because I know a hell of a lot of guy who can DL and squat some serious weight for their size (im talking 160lb> dudes with 405 squats) but their upper body strength is complete 
sick.gif
Thats because majority of 160 pound guys have no upper body mass, which plays a big role in being a strong presser.

It took me a yr before I started playing basketball again and likely another yr after that before I could say that I didn't worry about my knee anymore.

Back
Top Bottom