USC or Berkeley?

I'm a newly admitted freshmen to both schools and I'm having trouble deciding which school to attend next fall. I've been admitted to both schoolsas an undecided major, but I'm thinking about majoring in engineering. USC had always been my dream school, but now that this situation as actuallypresented itself I really do not know. Money is not a factor in my decision because I basically have full rides to both. However, I think my decision boilsdown to whether I want to stay in Los Angeles. I love LA, but I've lived here my whole life and I do not know if I want to experience a completelydifferent environment. I know that ultimately it'll be my decision, but I'd like to hear as many opinions as I can. Which school would give me the bestcollege experience? Thanks
happy.gif

You lucky mofo. Berkelely diploma will be more impressive when it's all said and done.

experiences outside of your comfort zone will make you mature in so many other ways. with that being said i would pick Berkley.

even tho LA is
pimp.gif
x 10.

sick.gif
to both really. This pains me to say it, but go to kal. If youplan on having any type of career/life outside of southern california in the future, you'll be taken more seriously when you get started. You'll get abetter education there when it's all said and done.

I personally think Cal's undergrad is extremely overrated...not to say USC's isn't, but maybe less so. It really depends what you want to study asboth schools have programs that may offer a better curriculum.

I think USC's business undergrad is better than Cal's, along with their law path....but Cal's grad programs are pretty good too which may be easierto get into if you go there for undergrad.

Originally Posted by 8KBMJ23

I'm really having a tough time deciding.....I plan to go visit Berkeley next week.
yup thats what you should do. visit and see if its the place for you. berkeley has a whole different vibe.

I'm interested in either aerospace or civil engineering......what can you tell me about viterbi?

Originally Posted by Poogibucker

damn son, u got into cal and usc ? ? ? wuts ur GPA like 4.6 or something?

naw it was not that high lol....it was like 4.0, but I think it was more based on being well-rounded.

Originally Posted by curt2121

sick.gif
to both really. This pains me to say it, but go to kal. If you plan on having any type of career/life outside of southern california in the future, you'll be taken more seriously when you get started. You'll get a better education there when it's all said and done.
laugh.gif
, this dude.

Take you time with your decision, visit both campuses. Seems like you are on the right track, by taking a visit to Berkeley. You will get a great educationat both places. USC has a strong network, not just in Southern California.
laugh.gif
. You are lucky, since you have the choice of going to two prestigious universities. The school name on the degree you get will be impressive eitherway.

Originally Posted by curt2121

sick.gif
to both really. This pains me to say it, but go to kal. If you plan on having any type of career/life outside of southern california in the future, you'll be taken more seriously when you get started. You'll get a better education there when it's all said and done.

laugh.gif
really
sick.gif
...both are GREAT schools, Berkley is better, but what does better mean now anyways?...Go to which school you think you will do better in. Ipersonally think you should get away from home for the true college experience though.

Originally Posted by 8KBMJ23

I'm interested in either aerospace or civil engineering......what can you tell me about viterbi?

I can tell you that education wise you probably will want to put Cal ahead of SC in those area's. As someone who has engineering friends at Cal I can saythat they have much more resources in terms of equipment and leading professors in aerospace. Civil engineering I'm not too sure about. I'm not doggingSC, because I feel I'm getting a fantastic education and have a great network of talent and opportunities. Someone said earlier in the thread if you planto leave the west coast Berkley has more name pull. I can agree with that but if you plan to stay in Cali the USC network is phenomenal. Other than that Calhas a totally different vibe to it. I grew up in So-Cal and toured the campus when I was applying for undergrads. The whole vibe, the type of people, the area,it just wasn't my thing. I can definetly say take the education aspects into account but make sure it's the right "fit" wherever you go.

Back
Top Bottom