USC or Berkeley?

Females and parties are everywhere man. You're clearly a smart guy and your education is what's gonna help you make money in the future. Seeing thatBerkeley is the better school (in terms of education), you should go there.

Take your trip, like you said and then decide. But as of now, I'd say Berkeley. Better program for your major and the fact that you get to move away fromhome during your college years. Everyone needs to go through that experience.

Originally Posted by NIKERAINBOWS

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Berkeley is a college town. Isnt USC located in the ghetto? But USC will have hotter females
I've visited my friends at UC Berkeley and it is pretty damn ghetto too...hobos sleeping in the parks
indifferent.gif
No it's not, it may be trashy looking in some areas, but it is far from ghetto.

Originally Posted by lazybonejone

USC is a clown college. I write papers for grad students and undergraduate students at Marshall. Their standards are beyond low. I can guarantee a B without reading the book or attending a single class.

The only reason to go to SC is that you can sleep through 50% of your classes and still get a 4.0 when you apply for grad school.
Same can be said about Cal and other UCs. I've seen some of the work and papers my friends have turned in and got an A at Cal and UCs...thesepapers would not fly be C level at many other schools.

Berkeley is better for Engineering. I got in as an Engineer and let me tell you, they don't f around at all. I switched my major later
laugh.gif

Cal
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

both are great though, USC has been a lot better recently, but Cal is a great college town, and it's cheaper too (if you're in-state).

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Berkeley is a college town. Isnt USC located in the ghetto? But USC will have hotter females
I've visited my friends at UC Berkeley and it is pretty damn ghetto too...hobos sleeping in the parks
indifferent.gif
No it's not, it may be trashy looking in some areas, but it is far from ghetto.
I guess man, all my friends said it's pretty bad up there... bums alkin around campus & stuff

but i GUARANTEE you it's not as bad as the area surrounding USC.

I used to work down the street from there (Adams & Western) and seriously, if you cross the street into the hood, it's a totally different world... butI'm pretty sure you know that.

it makes me angry that 99.9% of the people living in that area/grew up in that area couldn't dream of getting into a school like that, don't even thinkabout paying for it...
tired.gif

Originally Posted by 8KBMJ23

I'm interested in either aerospace or civil engineering......what can you tell me about viterbi?
%*@$ changes homie. I'm tellin' you right now, unless you've had pathway programs at your highschool towards Engineering, andyou're absolutely positive that you want to do engineering, you probably don't know if that's truly what your interest is. I declared forEngineering last year, and here I am changing my major 2 quarters in.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

USC is a clown college. I write papers for grad students and undergraduate students at Marshall. Their standards are beyond low. I can guarantee a B without reading the book or attending a single class.

The only reason to go to SC is that you can sleep through 50% of your classes and still get a 4.0 when you apply for grad school.
Same can be said about Cal and other UCs. I've seen some of the work and papers my friends have turned in and got an A at Cal and UCs...these papers would not fly be C level at many other schools.
That's #%@%%+$%. If it happens there, happens everywhere. I wouldn't generalize a school based on "some" papers you've seengetting good grades for sub-par quality writing. TAs grade that stuff, and chances are they had a #+*+!@ TA.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Same can be said about Cal and other UCs. I've seen some of the work and papers my friends have turned in and got an A at Cal and UCs...these papers would not fly be C level at many other schools.
That's #%@%%+$%. If it happens there, happens everywhere. I wouldn't generalize a school based on "some" papers you've seen getting good grades for sub-par quality writing. TAs grade that stuff, and chances are they had a #+*+!@ TA.
qft

CAL is a better school overall...my sister got into both and is going to CAL

also think about costs of school, u dont wanna have loans etc

USC is much more expensive

Thanks for the input guys!.....and cost isn't a factor in my decision because I basically have full rides to both (the cost is actually less at sc for me).

if you want to do engineering, it's a no-brainer to go to Berkeley.

you better be prepared though, Cal engineering will tear you a new one

indifferent.gif
Looky here silver spoon, if thats "ghetto" to you, you need to get out the house more.

If you plan on going to grad school, then either should be acceptable.

However, if you don't see grad in your future your best bet would be UCB.

One suggestion, If you want to get a real experience during your visits, you should try to attend some classes to get a better feel of what you're gettinginto. If you just walk around campus, you might like the girls or not, you may like the building or not, but essentially you don't really know what theclass environment is life. Also, you have no idea of what the dorms are like unless you hang out there for a while. My best advice is to try to have as much asa "normal Cal or USC day" as your visit at these campus. I go to Cal and I think it's a fantastic school but remember to choose the school thatis RIGHT for YOU!

I was in the same position as you a few years ago. The choice boiled down basically to USC (closer to home, had a great journalism program that I wasinterested in) versus Cal.

You'll get a great education at both schools. Really. This is coming from a Cal grad.

It's just like any other college - you get out of it what you put into it. Bust your !@$ at either school, and you'll get good grades at a highlyrecognized school. Networking, internships, and work experience are what will get you far after school, not just your GPA and the school name on the diploma.

I agree with everyone who said that you should try to shadow a student for a day. The Cal Day stuff is lots of fluff and pomp, not really close to a realschool day. CalSO student orientation is better, it's a weekend where you get to sleep in the dorms and meet other students, have the whole registrationprocess explained, get a tour, and at night, you can party at the fraternity houses (if you meet some brothers around campus) or hit up the local haunts.Ideally, you can hit up someone who's currently a student and chill with them during a normal school day to get a feel for walking around campus andsitting in on larger lectures and smaller discussions.

Cal really is a GREAT college town. But you have to visit it to see if the vibe is right for you...I know more than a few people who prefer a more "LosAngeles" feel...but most of those idiots came from L.A.
laugh.gif
: Don't get me wrong, I'm from L.A. as well, but I liked the Bay Area vibe so muchthat I've decided to stay after graduating.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom