Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should his only reason for playing be making the playoffs? 

He can't afford to sit a season out. All eyes are still on his development as a player. 

Should his only reason for playing be making the playoffs? 

He can't afford to sit a season out. All eyes are still on his development as a player. 
Honestly though i think everyones reason for playing is to make the playoffs and win the championship.. don't you think? But yeah I still think he should play as much as possible, sitting a whole season can't be good for a young player.

Why did they cut Shelvin Mack in the beginning of the season anyways.. thats stupid.

Good win. We got a lead and for once and played some defense. Okafor on the defense end was solid. And if we ever lose a game where Crawford shoots that well we are officially the worst team of all time.

Crawfords half time interview lolololol "I'm just looking for my shot" x2

Dudes want Cousins but don't want "bonehead" players. Makes no sense.

There is a difference between talented bonehead players and..........bonehead players.

Nick Young is a bonehead player......Cousins is a talented, young, boneheaded player.

Nothing makes sense with the Wizards anyhow. I think Ernie is just seeing how much outlandish stuff he can get away with before he gets relieved of his duties.

Oh word ESPN?

I can see why Washington would like to pick up Cousins, BUT this man is shooting 41% this year as a BIG man 
sick.gif

That is.................well....................piss poor.

I'm sorry. I hope John Wall can help turn that percentage around, if this duo were to ever happen.

Well lost to the mavs after being up 14 at one point......
Vince Carter shot insanely well though and had that nice dunk to seal it up.

I still hate Jordan Crawford when we run the offense through him. Temple had a BS turnover late too for no reason when we were only down 6 or so. Just threw a cross court pass that hit i think Shawn Marion in the back.....

Brad Beal at least shot well.

Honestly though i think everyones reason for playing is to make the playoffs and win the championship.. don't you think? But yeah I still think he should play as much as possible, sitting a whole season can't be good for a young player.

Why did they cut Shelvin Mack in the beginning of the season anyways.. thats stupid.
That should be everyone's GOAL. Not their sole reason for playing. Those are two different things.

And Shelvin Mack is buns. The Wizards are literally the only team in the NBA where his services can be looked at as a positive thing.

The Wizards drafted Vesley, Singleton, and Mack in the same draft.....3 swings and 3 misses. How/why did they pass on Chandler Parsons three times? Front office is so pathetic.

Let's trade the rights to Rubio for Foye and Mike Miller.

Let's trade Caron Butler for Josh Howard.

One head scratching decision after another....They just don't ever get "it."

The Wizards drafted Vesley, Singleton, and Mack in the same draft.....3 swings and 3 misses. How/why did they pass on Chandler Parsons three times? Front office is so pathetic.

Let's trade the rights to Rubio for Foye and Mike Miller.

Let's trade Caron Butler for Josh Howard.

One head scratching decision after another....They just don't ever get "it."

I thought the butler trade was done cause of cap reasons and cause they wanted to disband that "wizard" team and the main components of those teams were Arenas/Butler/Jamison

I have no problems with them wanting to trade Caron....but the best you could garner was Josh Howard!?
caron was involved in a 7 player trade that immediately cut over $2 million in salary expenses and saved over $7 million that otherwise would have went towards a luxury tax penalty in the offseason. at the beginning of that season, they had nearly $80 million in contracts with players of a team DEAD LAST in the eastern conference.

it's not personal, just business.

caron was involved in a 7 player trade that immediately cut over $2 million in salary expenses and saved over $7 million that otherwise would have went towards a luxury tax penalty in the offseason. at the beginning of that season, they had nearly $80 million in contracts with players of a team DEAD LAST in the eastern conference.

it's not personal, just business.

And where are they now.........DEAD LAST IN THE NBA. At a certain point if a Business is not productive nor profitable (neither of which the Wizards are at this juncture and time), you shut it down.

The luxury of watching a losing team playing non-competitive basketball > luxury tax penalty. From the fan's perspective?

This is a joke and there are no positive angles for this franchise. 4-26 is 4-26 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I am all for running a profitable, productive NBA franchise/business.......but neither is occuring in the District.

[h1]Stan Van Gundy says John Wall not good enough for Wizards to build around[/h1]
Brett Pollakoff

Jan 2, 2013, 1:31 PM EST

17  Comments

610x40.jpeg
Getty Images
The Wizards are unquestionably the worst team in the league this season. At a record of just 4-25, Washington has four fewer wins than the Bobcats team that just finished up an 18-game losing streak.

Things are not only dismal in Washington, but few see any sign that the franchise has even begun to put the pieces in place to begin the long climb to legitimacy.

Go ahead and count Stan Van Gundy among the non-believers.

Appearing on ESPN 980′s The Sports Reporters last week (via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post), Van Gundy was clear in his assessment — not only does he not see a fit with the current players on the Wizards roster, but he also doesn’t believe that John Wall, whom the team selected with the number one overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, is good enough to build around as a franchise player.

“You know, I don’t see it, to be honest,” Van Gundy said. “I’d love to tell you you’re two years away; I really don’t [see it]. That roster doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I know they’ll be better when John Wall comes back. He’s certainly got talent, but I don’t know that even John Wall is a great player to build your franchise around. I don’t know WHO  you’re building around, so it’s tough to even think about what the construction of your team is. That’s just a bad basketball team.”

“I think maybe they thought it was gonna be John Wall – maybe they still think it is. I think there’s a lot of people in the league – I’d certainly be one that would share this opinion – I don’t think John Wall’s good enough to be the guy that you build around. I think he’s got great speed and quickness, but point guard is a decision-making position. That’s what makes you great as a point guard, is your decision-making. I haven’t seen any indication that John Wall is a great decision-maker.”

Not exactly what you want to hear if you’re a Wizards fan.

Wall has yet to play a game this season due to injury, so kicking a guy when he’s down doesn’t necessarily feel all that great here. But he didn’t show marked improvement a season ago, finishing with averages that were either right at or a hair below those of his rookie campaign in nearly every statistical category.

We don’t know if Wall will turn into that cornerstone player once he gets healthy, and it’ll take even longer to evaluate Jan Vesely  and Bradley Beal, the team’s two lottery picks that followed. Time will tell, but the start to this season hasn’t been all that encouraging.

With that in mind, the fact that one of the more respected former coaches in the game isn’t a fan of the combination of young talent that’s been compiled so far shouldn’t be much of a surprise.

Last edited:
I think folks were expecting Wall to be the next Rondo.....

Maybe Wall can take all of this negative criticism and come back with a vengenance and show drastic improvements and growth. I don't think a lot of players in this league could flourish on the Wizards though.

You put Westbrook, Rondo or Chris Paul on the Wizards and imagine the frustration they will experience playing with guys like Vesley, Crawford, Okafor.

I don't think anyone expected him to be the next Rondo. Although Rondo is a more accurate comparison that guy who he was most frequently compared to and expected to be similar to - Derrick Rose.

He was being compared to Derrick Rose the minute he signed up to be Cal's next big time PG. That followed him all the way to his rookie season when people finally understood how different players they were.

I don't really think Wall has an accurate comparison. He has the attributes that will remind you certain players like Rondo or Rose but then you factor in size and that changes the whole dynamic. 

I just feel bad for the kid that he's being written off and not mentioned as one of the next superstar players because of the team he's on.

Meanwhile...people are ready to call Kyrie Irving an MVP candidate and his team is almost just as bad the Wizards WITHOUT John Wall.

team needs to be sold to someone who actually cares about WINNING. The owner is always bragging about potential and patience, i have been patient for 20 plus years as a fan. Give me a team that has a legitimate title shot.

Another close loss.. we are easily the best 4-27 team in NBA history, I'm not even saying that sarcastically.

Beal is looking like a player

Well now that the skins are done.....

I actually hold Van Gundy's opinion in decently high regard. But i really don't think his statement is that bad to the wiz. You can't really build a franchise around a pg in general i think. You need some one to score. You build franchises around scorers/big men.

And as much as people like to think, one player can't win you a championship in the NBA eventually some one needs to contribute to help out. I think Wall is an excellent building piece. But we obviously need that go-to scorer. That we need a bucket clear a side, iso him, let him go to work, type dude. We have jordan crawford.......... thats it. Only player on our team that basically can create his own shot....if you call what he takes 50% of the time an actual shot.

I think John will progress well if he is confident that the guys he passes the ball to can make a shot. But since he does play for the Wizards....that may take a very long time

This man Beal has really impressed over the last month, started slow but like y'all said give him time and he'll improve. I'm thrilled he dropped Perkins then later hit the game winner on his bum *** :smokin

Can't ask for anything more than effort from this team and they give it every night. We gotta get healthy tho, please [emoji]128591[/emoji]

This man Beal has really impressed over the last month, started slow but like y'all said give him time and he'll improve. I'm thrilled he dropped Perkins then later hit the game winner on his bum *** :smokin
Can't ask for anything more than effort from this team and they give it every night. We gotta get healthy tho, please [emoji]128591[/emoji]

He's been a different man since the New Year:

2nc31xk.png

VERY encouraging. Only 19 and will get better.

I told ya'll not to give up on Beal man.. best wing of the draft imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom