whats a good first car

When did son say he wants a BMW to impress girls? Maybe he just likes the cars.

The projection in here is amazing. Anyways, cop a honda and call it a day fam. My boy has a 2003 3 series and he constantly has problems with it and you talking bout buying a 99
laugh.gif
i love the body style. i could care less about women at the moment. i just wanted something i could also drive out of high school. i didnt know maintenance was a ***** like that

and im being dead serious when i say ive been driving since i was 11 

i love the body style. i could care less about women at the moment. i just wanted something i could also drive out of high school. i didnt know maintenance was a ***** like that
and im being dead serious when i say ive been driving since i was 11 
Nah b if you can't find a bmw in warranty it's not worth it. Consider it a ticking time bomb

3k will get you

Another 4k will make it look like

It will run forever. You will love it. You will be best friends with it. You will drive it fast. You will use the ample hatch space for fun stuff. You'll check out honda forums. you'll want to do some performance mods. When you see other ones on the street you'll feel good. You're maintenance will be dirt cheap.

Then an old white man will hit you with his truck and the insurance company will total it out and give you 3500 even though its worth about 7k to you. Which you'll have to use to try and find another one like yours but you'll fail because no ones is as clean as yours was so you just use the money as a down payment on a GTI.

....Yeah i'm pretty salty...

but seriously.. go find a honda to love.

Damn NT is full of some salty mu*****s lol. I can tell some of you didn't drive in HS and hated the dudes that did. I had to rep FlyNY just for his unabashed boldness lol @ Barbie backpacks.

Anyway, OP I do have to side with the consensus that the BMW probably isn't a good idea. 5k isn't a lot to work with so focus on reliability/longevity. That said, Honda and Toyota are your friends. Look into an Accord or a Camry. You might be able to get an EX-L or XLE with decent options. Look for something with a clean body and find a seller with proof that services have been performed on time. I maintain service records for all my vehicles. Get eyes on those receipts! Otherwise, have fun, and don't let these old dudes on NT rain on your parade. Carry on.

Last edited:
Damn NT is full of some salty mu*****s lol. I can tell some of you didn't drive in HS and hated the dudes that did. I had to rep FlyNY just for his unabashed boldness lol @ Barbie backpacks.

Anyway, OP I do have to side with the consensus that the BMW probably isn't a good idea. 5k isn't a lot to work with so focus on reliability/longevity. That said, Honda and Toyota are your friends. Look into an Accord or a Camry. You might be able to get an EX-L or XLE with decent options. Look for something with a clean body and find a seller with proof that services have been performed on time. I maintain service records for all my vehicles. Get eyes on those receipts! Otherwise, have fun, and don't let these old dudes on NT rain on your parade. Carry on.
it's nt bruh......especially car threads you're gonna get got if you come in here at 16 askin for 'approval' to whip anything luxurious when we all KNOW you don't got the cake to make that worth your while and actually nt did give you some good info, just in that magical nt big brother way.  read between the lines, get something you can afford to buy AND upkeep.

it's nt bruh......especially car threads you're gonna get got if you come in here at 16 askin for 'approval' to whip anything luxurious when we all KNOW you don't got the cake to make that worth your while and actually nt did give you some good info, just in that magical nt big brother way.  read between the lines, get something you can afford to buy AND upkeep.
thats what  im gonna do lol. 

take it from me

something that you can beatup...you're definately going to hit things parking, bushes, rub up against the car with your jacket, etc.

buy used with something that is reliable. you dont want to be spending all your money on repairs and engine/transmission issues

i drove a 98' explorer for 5 years and it was falling apart. windows didnt roll down, front console was broken off, one of the doors didnt open but you learn to appreaciate what you have and take care of it even if it is a POS

take it from me

something that you can beatup...you're definately going to hit things parking, bushes, rub up against the car with your jacket, etc.

buy used with something that is reliable. you dont want to be spending all your money on repairs and engine/transmission issues

i drove a 98' explorer for 5 years and it was falling apart. windows didnt roll down, front console was broken off, one of the doors didnt open but you learn to appreaciate what you have and take care of it even if it is a POS
yeah ive saved up 2,000 so far and i go to work at the shop this summer for 7 dollars an hour and if not that i work on a framing crew for 8.50 an hour. hopefully i can get about 3-4k over the summer and then i get a job at platos come school time to pay for insurance 

3k will get you

View media item 1501005

Another 4k will make it look like

View media item 1501006

It will run forever. You will love it. You will be best friends with it. You will drive it fast. You will use the ample hatch space for fun stuff. You'll check out honda forums. you'll want to do some performance mods. When you see other ones on the street you'll feel good. You're maintenance will be dirt cheap.
Then an old white man will hit you with his truck and the insurance company will total it out and give you 3500 even though its worth about 7k to you. Which you'll have to use to try and find another one like yours but you'll fail because no ones is as clean as yours was so you just use the money as a down payment on a GTI.

....Yeah i'm pretty salty...
but seriously.. go find a honda to love.
Rice is for eating

OP why don't you just lease?
If you have $6,000, you can lease a 2015 3 series for about $400/month.

Edit: just seen you only have $2,000 saved up.
Fam, that might not even be enough to cover annual insurance for you

Best advice I can give you is don't make plans for money that you don't have yet. You're planning on working $7/Hr this summer to make an extra 4k? After tax, you'll be lucky if you get $1500

Last edited:
yeah ive saved up 2,000 so far and i go to work at the shop this summer for 7 dollars an hour and if not that i work on a framing crew for 8.50 an hour. hopefully i can get about 3-4k over the summer and then i get a job at platos come school time to pay for insurance 
Damn Bruh that sucks working for dirt.( I know everyone gotta start somewhere) Over here in Cali min is at 9 and 10 starting jan 1st
Gotta work on your side hustle op and make them dollars

Its cool when I was 19 I was making 7.50 at Panera bread. Ain't have not 1 bill so I thought I was doing it

Rice is for eating
At 16, dude is a growing boy... needs all the nourishment he can get. 

Nothing wrong at all with "ricing" for a while. Keeps you out if trouble and still lets you have fun. Most dudes eat it at some point in their first whip so it might as well be cheap. It's a lot easier to stomach the ramen noodle budget diet if you dress em up with stuff. Don't come over here bashing ricers bruh, my food metaphor game is on point. When his wallet grows up he'll be ready for an engine thats big and strong.

That said.. leave the muffler stock on your Acura/Honda... don't be a rice burner.

I live in las vegas by the way. Not far from Cali but we don't pay what y'all pay to live by the beach ands our car scene is wayy smaller

Last edited:
Ya bro, go for something reliable. You can get a nice mid 2000s carry, civic, Passat etc for cheap, and drive it through college.

Damn Bruh that sucks working for dirt.( I know everyone gotta start somewhere) Over here in Cali min is at 9 and 10 starting jan 1st
Gotta work on your side hustle op and make them dollars
i work  around 40 hours a week and after taxes i will make about 300 a week and ive been doing this for 2 years so last summer i made 3,000 recorded and made about 700 before i turned my w2 in 

platos is $9 an hour and 15-20 hours a week so that's like 150 and like 135 after taxes per week. that should be enough for insurance lol 

Back
Top Bottom