Why don't young "shoe-heads" live in the "now" rather than chasing retroes??

Originally Posted by Jimmy Blanco1983

I'll be 26 next Monday and have been in Jordans since 2nd grade. First pair was the white/black/red V's (back when kids sizes were Sky Jordans haha). After that I was hooked. Back in those days, you really could break necks if you had the new Jordans. All my cousins and friends had em as well. It's hard to put into words the impact Jordan had on people in those times. People who never even watched basketball was tuning in to watch him and the Bulls. I remember my auntie used to call into work sick sometimes to catch a game. Crazy. I love the NBA, but The late 80's and 90's were some of their best years. Wearing Jordans during that time was all about the admiration/ imitation of MJ (Like Mike, if I could be like Mike hahaha) and a symbol of status. As a kid it was hard to keep up with all the Jordan releases. Back then I had to be extra choosey with what sneakers I got. It's not like my folks would get me a new pair every few weeks. Plus, there were other shoes that caught my eye. Penny's, Barkley's, Larry Johnson's, Huarache's, Iverson's, Bo Jackson's. Just to name a few. Now, I just cop shoes I used to have or shoes I always wanted and couldn't get. I've always felt like these newer shoes like Lebron's or Kobe's are more for hooping. Jordans and a lot of other retros are more like kicking it shoes (can be worn with just about anything). I think history repeats it's self, so that's why a lot of kids are into a lot of things from the 80's and early 90's. I remember when I was younger and how my parents would tell me that a lot of the fashion from 10-15 years ago had a 70's feel. So, time is just taking its course. Maybe in 5 years somebody to bring back Fubu jerseys hahaha. At the end of the day, get what you like and enjoy your shoes.

Well that was a very clear message and a great way to put it. Not like how the OP wrote to the younger heads in a condescending kind of way.

retro J's to this day are still a status symbol...
owning retros for a youngin is like you old guys going out and purchasing a movado for youself...

im 17 right now, and im gonna be a senior in high school next year. for some reason in about 8th grade, freshman year, some kids were talkin about these shoesthat were releasing, i think it was the concord 11s (i cant recall), but ever since i saw those i wanted em. and i saw all the other j's and wanted themtoo. me and my friend and known to be "stuck in the 90's" becuase we love everything about it. i loved the look of everything back then. themusic was great, and so were the tv shows! u all know what im talkin bout. but jays were the iciest things ive ever seen in my life! not only did i watchjordan play in his last years, but i wanted his shoes to be like him. i dont like what shoes look like now. idk why. theyre all thin, and light. I love thosebig, clonky, heavy sons of guns. jays r just the way to go.

to be honest i used to buy iversons as a kid, watching him in philly....but as i got older i got what looked good

Originally Posted by windycity58

Why is it grown ##* people trying to fit in with the whole tight jean moovement etc ?
sick.gif
Why is anyone trying to fit in with the whole tight jean movement?

If the young generation didnt wear or care about retro jordans then jordan brand will stop producing em, cuz noone would buy retro jayz except few from bakinda day

I never realized there were so many young heads on here. I started when I was 18 (im 23 now), and like the man who started this post, I'm an 80's baby,I remember the NBA on NBC. I just wanted to say that it's the young people like you that give the shoe game hope, not these knuckleheads that only rockJ's because of status..... It's about more than that, each person has a different reasoning, but it is their own. I am glad to see that so many of youhave come to understand this, and don't just buy kicks "because"

Originally Posted by saymoregotsole

Here's a paradox, some of you teenie boppers are saying the mature collectors need to "get a life and stop living in the past," one of you said we shouldn't try to follow trends and should rock new balances like other people our age lol, YET you get hyped over a shoe you know nothing about. For example, the Pippens or Pennys retro and you logon NT and see everyone going ape**** so you run and go get them...sounds like you all are the ones living in a past you never even lived. Let's just be real here, the only reason you young heads want OG's is to show them off. As a mature collector I get OG's that I remember having or had always wanted. So all that "we like the design" noise should be silenced, because the truth is you just like the HYPE.
QFT

I see it all the time.

Just look at it this way, who sleeps outside for a pair of Jordans a week before RD?

I never had to go through this from 95-01 .

BTW i'm 27.

Originally Posted by Trav T

Originally Posted by 23collector1985

Originally Posted by no vert

Trav T wrote:
To the OP: How about you stop acting selfish and stop this notion that only old heads deserve to rock Jordans. Why don't you go rock some Pumas and Shell toes if it's really about what was out when you were young and not what is the best design. This is a really stupid argument that you have brought up.

Take your time and manifest what he was saying. Stop getting so defensive. He said what is your attraction to J's.
If you read his post, he is pretty much implying that these kids shouldn't be wearing Jordans because they are too young to remember when they were released.
I say that if these kids can recognize what is a great shoe design and color way, then they should be able to rock them. What, should I not be into Michael Jackson's early music because I can't say "Oh, I remember how old I was when this song came out."? People like Jordans because retro designs are much better than the generic crap that is being made right now.

Trav... You are WAY off. Did you really read the entire post? I suggest you re-read the post again. If you do, you will realize that rayray is asking a question to the younger sneaker heads, NOT saying that they don't deserve anything. I suggest you re-read it. This thread was not supposed to be an "us against them" thread, it was just supposed to start a good discussion.

Directly from original post:

"My question is.... all you current collectors who are in high school or younger, what is your intrigue for all these retro shoes coming out? There is no way you can look at a pair of Jordans coming out and say, "oh man, I remember when he wore those" or "I used to have a pair of those". Why not live "in the now" and get the shoes that your current favorite players are wearing? (Lebrons and Kobes for example)
Just wondering what you young guys thought about this notion, cause I often ask my students the same question and I usually get a confident shrug or a confused look
smile.gif
"

keep it positive fam"
It amazes me how some of you have gotten so far off base of what the original post intended. You hear what you want to hear, I guess. I bet half of you didn't even read past the thread title...
Uh, no. I think I understood his post pretty clearly. I don't know why it's so hard for the OP to understand that no one likes crappy LeBron's or Kobe's. They are just horrible looking shoes that are made for performance.

Thanks for continuing to be stubborn and misunderstanding the OP. If you had understood the OP, you would not have answered the way you did.

Once again, he is just ASKING what draws you to Jordans. We older collectors relate certain models to certain memories we have of the shoes, either personal memories or memories of something we saw MJ doing in the shoes. That's why we collect. The OP is just ASKING what makes you guys collect. If it's just the way they look, fine. If it's because you older brother, or father or uncle wore Jordans, fine. This thread IS NOT about bashing younger collectors/sneakerheads... stop trying to make it about that.
Once again, you are not getting me. The OP pretty much said that the young kids should "live in the now" and stop "chasing" retroes. I mean, how could you miss that part?

You just proved my point by a) quoting the title of the thread. And b) misinterpreting the thread by saying that the OP "pretty much said" when hewas clearly ASKING you guys a question, not saying that you "should" do anything. Look at the top of the page, Trav... what's the first word inthe title? "Why". Now, look at the end of the title... what punctuation is used? A question mark. Both of those indicate that it is a question,not a statement.

If you choose to see this as some kind of slam against younger collectors, that's unfortunate, because it is very clear that all the OP was trying to do isstart a discussion about what draws the younger sneaker heads to shoes that are 20+ years old. It's too bad, this could have been a fun discussion, butyou and a few others have turned it into something that it wasn't meant to be.

I'm done trying to explain this thread. Believe what you want.

Originally Posted by cmoneymontana

Originally Posted by saymoregotsole

Here's a paradox, some of you teenie boppers are saying the mature collectors need to "get a life and stop living in the past," one of you said we shouldn't try to follow trends and should rock new balances like other people our age lol, YET you get hyped over a shoe you know nothing about. For example, the Pippens or Pennys retro and you logon NT and see everyone going ape**** so you run and go get them...sounds like you all are the ones living in a past you never even lived. Let's just be real here, the only reason you young heads want OG's is to show them off. As a mature collector I get OG's that I remember having or had always wanted. So all that "we like the design" noise should be silenced, because the truth is you just like the HYPE.
QFT

I see it all the time.

Just look at it this way, who sleeps outside for a pair of Jordans a week before RD?

You never had togo through this from 95-01.

BTW i'm 27.
laugh.gif
let's face it, it's a lost decade (when it comesto shoe fashion, more specifically, jordan shoe fashion)...... 20 years from now, the only Jordan's the 25-35 crowd will remember from the 00's will beRetro J's and their bastardization with wack colors and quality.....

Originally Posted by JLking

I love how MJ gamed it with the "last shot" 3 pointer on the Jazz with 5.2 seconds left.
Last shot wasn't a 3 pointer.

Im 17 going into my senior year of high school and my whole life till about 8th grade I was in love with basketball, so I knew about MJ and how dominant he wasbut I couldnt afford his shoes till about a year ago from now. I wear Jordans because MJ is the best basketball player ever and his shoes are nice and I reallydont like nike's basketball shoes to wear all the time. LeBron 4s dont make the best shoes to wear all the time.

Originally Posted by courtking01

Originally Posted by JLking

I love how MJ gamed it with the "last shot" 3 pointer on the Jazz with 5.2 seconds left.
Last shot wasn't a 3 pointer.

Im 17 going into my senior year of high school and my whole life till about 8th grade I was in love with basketball, so I knew about MJ and how dominant he was but I couldnt afford his shoes till about a year ago from now. I wear Jordans because MJ is the best basketball player ever and his shoes are nice and I really dont like nike's basketball shoes to wear all the time. LeBron 4s dont make the best shoes to wear all the time.
your right it wasn't, my bad I was half-asleep when I said that
tongue.gif

I'm 16. I didn't see any of Michael Jordan's games on TV. Only the Wizards games, but my dad was a big Jordan collector. When he bought some I gotsome two. I still have some OG Cardinal 7s from when I was a baby. I've been basically wearing them all my life. My dad has given me about 4 pairs of hiskicks since now we wear the same size. 3 pairs of 12s and Cool Grey 9s.I love the look and feel of the kicks. Also MJ is one of my favorite players(the otherbeing AI I'm from PA and Kobe) and the greatest to ever play. I used to love playing in my Jordan's don't do too much of that anymore they are moreof a fashion symbol now.. Whenever I get my job I'm copping all the heat I missed out on. Some of my peers just cop just to say they have them but Mike wasone of my idols and I dreamed about being like the dude.

To answer OP's question, some people buy the shoes for hype, some buy to resell, some buy because they like the shoe, etc. People have their own reasonsfor wanting Jordans. I'm 16 and I only saw him play his last years with Washington, but I like the way his shoes look.

Also, I don't have a problem spending money my parents give me on Jordans, because I don't have a job at this point. I don't care if y'allpeople bash me for this, either.

I don't get that 'feeling' that some of you OG Jordan heads get from watching him play, but I do appreciate OG and Retro Jordans. I own some ofboth.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Blanco1983

At the end of the day, get what you like and enjoy your shoes.

This. While a few of you OG Jordan Heads are acting mature, SOME of you OG Jordan Heads need to act your age and not your shoe size (YES that wascorny
laugh.gif
).

because MJ is the greatest of all time. another reason is i like the style of them and what they represent. as a basketball player you look up to players and ilook up to MJ

I guess you could consider me a young head....

I've played basketball even before I was even born, I've been
Watching MJ since about the finals against the Sonics...I've seen
Him play in Jordans since the 11's...so I can viidly remember seeing
his greatness and shoes. Which is why I collect them, every shoe
I seen him play in I buy because of the story behind them and because
Of the design

I can't lie I can't stand looking at these people walking around with
Fusions on, but hey as long as I know they wearing fusions vil be rocking
My OG's and retros. I'll let them be suckers and spend 150 for fusion 6's
smh.gif

Originally Posted by MySolesSoar

Do we have to have a history with a brand to like a shoe? Yeah, yeah, yeah, "I remember MJ playing in these in this game"

"I remember him doing whatever with these on" Shut up, no one cares.

It's really a generalization to say that the younger heads only like Jordans because of the "hype". Excuse me, I didn't know it was impossible for me
to like a shoe because of the design.
Like I've stated before, I don't care how much hate the 6 rings get, or the 60+, I will cop them regardless if I like the way they look. That's why I have august 15th pegged.
You all need a reality check, not everyone is down with the hype.

No one cares how much Jordan facts you can spit out, the point is at the end of the day it's a damn shoe and you either like them or you don't.
Another one who has completely missed the point of this thread...

Once again... all the original post is ASKING (not telling) is why younger heads are into Jordans. Older collectors have a history with the shoes, and he is just curious what makes you younger kids collect them. NO ONE is saying you shouldn't buy them because you are younger and don't have a history with them... he is just asking why some of you collect... that's it. This thread was not meant to put down younger collectors, it was just to pick your brains and find out what makes you like shoes that were popular 20+ years ago.
Oh, I see I jumped to conclusions. I didn't really read it and thought it was just another tantrum thread by an "OG".
Since he's curious,
Some people are just mere fans of MJ, I mean you don't have to have lived in his era to be a fan of him, correct?
Some people just like the design of his shoes, It shouldn't be surprising that people want to buy what they think looks good..
Maybe because we weren't around when the retros came out, that intrigued us more to buying them.
Despite all these "glorious memories" you OG heads have with JB. The young-heads and OG-heads are very alike in terms of why you like
these shoes. It's not some great mystery.

I understand exactly what you are saying, rayray. I'm 35 years old and I work in a high school. I wear my Jordans to work and the kids all love to see what I'm wearing each day. They all say they want my shoes, but for a completely different reason than I wanted Jordans growing up. They just know that they are popular and that's it. They know the numbers of the retros, but have no idea the history behind them.

My own personal history with Air Jordans is... I was 12 years old when I got my first pair of Jordans, which were the black/red AJKO I's, I did my first dunk wearing the OG white/cement III's, I won my first dunk contest wearing the OG black/red IV's, I got my first scholarship offer after a scout saw me play in a tournament while I was wearing the OG white/black/red V's... etc, etc. It feels like Jordans have been a part of my entire life.

Now... the reason I became obsessed with Air Jordans is because of MJ himself. I was 11 years old when MJ entered the NBA. Perfect age... I got to see his and appreciate his entire career. I watched him explode into the league, I watched him break records, I watched him win 2 dunk contests, win MVPs, I watched him struggle year after year against the Pistons and was overjoyed when he and the Bulls finally beat them and went on to beat Magic and the Lakers for his first championship. I witnessed the entire first 3-peat, then cried when he retired the first time. I was overjoyed again when he came out of retirement and witnessed the entire second 3-peat, then cried again when he retired a second time... then I cried when he played with the Wizards LOL. Basically, I wanted Jordans because of what I saw MJ do in those Jordans.

Long story short, I have a personal history with these shoes, and when I ask kids about why they like the shoes, I get the same answer as you, rayray... an "I don't know". Some of them have never even seen MJ play, not even on video or DVD... which really bugs me when they try to tell me that Kobe is better than MJ and they haven't so much as watch clips of MJ on YouTube LOL.

Anyway, it seems like there are fewer and fewer collectors who have their own personal story as to why they collect Jordans. Which is only normal, I guess, as the sneaker heads become younger and younger and the older heads get older and older, you can't expect every kid to have a personal experience related to MJ because MJ has not played in years. It just makes me sad that it seems that side of Jordan collecting, the collecting because of the personal history the collector has with the shoe is slowly (or maybe quickly) fading away.
You know, its really refreshing to come onto this forum from time to time and read personal, insightful testimonies if you will of sneaker headswho actually know why they collect Jordans. I thank you 23collector1985 for your personal story. I'll be 32 thisyear and I can remember my very 1st Jordan was the black/cement III. I was in the 6th grade at the time and wanted to wear them with literally everything(dresses and all LOL). I'm the oldest of 3 kids, so my parents couldn't afford to be shelling out money like that for sneakers. Honestly, I can'tsay that I was glued to the TV watching every game Jordan ever played, but I do remember thinking to myself that he was the best player I had ever seen andonly hoped that I could achieve the same(if not better) level of accomplishment with whatever I decided to do in life. I purchase Jordans for the nostalga, the memories, and because I couldn't get them back in the day. There are many other legends that came before Jordanthat my father and uncles argue are better than Jordan. Every generation will have its icon.

My passion for sneakers are not limited to just Jordans. I have a sincere passion for sneakers and consider it an art form. It takes a gifted individual tocreate something that is loved, hated, mimicked, and replicated by others. My only issue is the lack of knowledge by young and old alike. I understand buyingsomething you like, not hating on that at all, but for crying out loud at least know something about what you'respending your (or whomever's )money on. I detest ignorence, and those who are comfortable in their ignorence. I was a kid once, and of course there werethings I wanted that other kids had. I mean who doesn't go through that, or who hasn't gone through that. I just find it unnecessary for all of the mudslinging that goes on in some of these threads. We so easily lose sight of why we're here in the first place...the love of the sneaker.

A simple answer to this intriguing thread (absolutely no pun intended, I really do it's an intriguing thread) is that there is no player like MichaelJordan "in the Now."

Not just the fact that he was/(is) the greatest bastketball player of all time (and yes this is a FACT), but it's also what he and Nike brought to thesneakers/fashion market industry that was so refreshing.

Originally Posted by MySolesSoar

Do we have to have a history with a brand to like a shoe? Yeah, yeah, yeah, "I remember MJ playing in these in this game"

"I remember him doing whatever with these on" Shut up, no one cares.

It's really a generalization to say that the younger heads only like Jordans because of the "hype". Excuse me, I didn't know it was impossible for me
to like a shoe because of the design.
Like I've stated before, I don't care how much hate the 6 rings get, or the 60+, I will cop them regardless if I like the way they look. That's why I have august 15th pegged.
You all need a reality check, not everyone is down with the hype.

No one cares how much Jordan facts you can spit out, the point is at the end of the day it's a damn shoe and you either like them or you don't.

COSIGN...but i mess wit the six rings...dont like the 60+ tho

I understand exactly what you are saying, rayray. I'm 35 years old and I work in a high school. I wear my Jordans to work and the kids all love to see what I'm wearing each day. They all say they want my shoes, but for a completely different reason than I wanted Jordans growing up. They just know that they are popular and that's it. They know the numbers of the retros, but have no idea the history behind them.

My own personal history with Air Jordans is... I was 12 years old when I got my first pair of Jordans, which were the black/red AJKO I's, I did my first dunk wearing the OG white/cement III's, I won my first dunk contest wearing the OG black/red IV's, I got my first scholarship offer after a scout saw me play in a tournament while I was wearing the OG white/black/red V's... etc, etc. It feels like Jordans have been a part of my entire life.

Now... the reason I became obsessed with Air Jordans is because of MJ himself. I was 11 years old when MJ entered the NBA. Perfect age... I got to see his and appreciate his entire career. I watched him explode into the league, I watched him break records, I watched him win 2 dunk contests, win MVPs, I watched him struggle year after year against the Pistons and was overjoyed when he and the Bulls finally beat them and went on to beat Magic and the Lakers for his first championship. I witnessed the entire first 3-peat, then cried when he retired the first time. I was overjoyed again when he came out of retirement and witnessed the entire second 3-peat, then cried again when he retired a second time... then I cried when he played with the Wizards LOL. Basically, I wanted Jordans because of what I saw MJ do in those Jordans.

Long story short, I have a personal history with these shoes, and when I ask kids about why they like the shoes, I get the same answer as you, rayray... an "I don't know". Some of them have never even seen MJ play, not even on video or DVD... which really bugs me when they try to tell me that Kobe is better than MJ and they haven't so much as watch clips of MJ on YouTube LOL.

Anyway, it seems like there are fewer and fewer collectors who have their own personal story as to why they collect Jordans. Which is only normal, I guess, as the sneaker heads become younger and younger and the older heads get older and older, you can't expect every kid to have a personal experience related to MJ because MJ has not played in years. It just makes me sad that it seems that side of Jordan collecting, the collecting because of the personal history the collector has with the shoe is slowly (or maybe quickly) fading away.

QFT... that's what im talking about right there! nice fam

Michael Jordan has become a way for many generations to be involved in ONE culture. This is the power of the man they call legendary. If I remember correctly,even my parents enjoyed watching him when I was a kid. Now my nephew likes watching DVD's of MJ. He's 6. Wears Jordans and all. I fell in love with theshoes when I saw the black/ infrared VI's being worn by MJ in a game. That was the first Jordan I ever recognized. Who cares what type of people like him.Just enjoy what you like. It's that simple. We should pass this on to our youth so the legend continues to expand into further generations.

Back
Top Bottom