Would you marry a girl if her credit was bad?

If she isn't working then a loan agreement is being signed and I'm getting my money back. I wouldn't want to stand idly by while her credit gets destroyed but at the same time this isn't a charity.

Just throwing a hypothetical out there....

Let's say she's job hunting aggressively, but is having zero luck. Would you step in to help out w/ her payments?

I could see you saying yes, but with a stipulation that she pays you back :lol:
Wouldn't you do the same to other people?

For your spouse, tho? :lol:
That doesn't make her exempt. Those things are reserved for my parents and siblings.

Payment plan for your spouse... :lol:

Have a great day.

This was part of the reason I didn't wanna get married until I was at least 30. I know how tough student debt can be, but I've always assumed if you don't have your personal finances in order by the time you're 30, I wasn't going to be pulled down with them.

On that note, Wife and I with 800+ scores. 
How thorough do mortgage lenders research to see if you're married?

Because my credit is stellar. I could just apply for the loan individually.
You definitely still can, but I'd assume you'd get a much higher mortgage loan if there were two of you. One of my boy's left his wife off his mortgage for their crib, but it wasn't exactly a dream home either.
Some ppl graduate med school with 300K on debt in their late 20s. Impossible to have it in order by 30 if you live anywhere coastal during residency when you get paid less than minimum wage per hour
I'd agree here. For professional degrees, med school, etc., that's all gucci.

But if you're racking up debt on things not related to those, that's kinda curious.

i dont understand going hard on a spouse, but saying anything can and will be done for parents/siblings...

does that support come with any caveats?

Last edited:
i dont understand going hard on a spouse, but saying anything can and will be done for parents/siblings...

does that support come with any caveats?
None. Those people can ask anything and everything of me. They are the reason I am who I am. Everything I have achieved in life is a result of their efforts.

Anything I have in life is theirs because without them I wouldn't have it.

One of my homeboys is dead set on marrying this girl with bad soending habits. I'm all for finding happiness but ish is going to be a problem in the future :smh:

How did the convo come up in your relationship. Did you have her run her credit report in front of you or you just took her word for it?

I agree that undergraduate debt should be paid off by 30 if one didn't go to graduate school.

My fiancée went to an expensive B-school and is the current breadwinner so I can't be tripping in a couple years just because I'll be making more then :lol:

My wife's credit is bad as well as mine but it's only from student loans. We got a master plan mapped out. It's different marrying because of student loan bad credit than bad/foolish spending habits bad credit.

How did the convo come up in your relationship. Did you have her run her credit report in front of you or you just took her word for it?

I agree that undergraduate debt should be paid off by 30 if one didn't go to graduate school.

My fiancée went to an expensive B-school and is the current breadwinner so I can't be tripping in a couple years just because I'll be making more then :lol:

We had a frank conversation about finances when we knew we wanted to get married.

My wife's credit is bad as well as mine but it's only from student loans. We got a master plan mapped out. It's different marrying because of student loan bad credit than bad/foolish spending habits bad credit.

Student loans can dock you a little bit but it shouldn't cause bad credit

I wouldn't marry a girl if her credit was good 
If she isn't working then a loan agreement is being signed and I'm getting my money back. I wouldn't want to stand idly by while her credit gets destroyed but at the same time this isn't a charity.

God damn you are cold man :lol:
SMH how? Because I don't want to give away thousands of dollars to someone with little to no hope of seeing it back?

That doesn't make me crazy.

@Antidope  I completely understand where you are coming from. No bull. It is easy to use the, "But it is your spouse" goggles NOW, but when those thousands of dollars are not returned, I could see why one would be frustrated.

You are going to have to find a special type of girl that is able to separate the logical from the emotional. I am cold blooded so that might be why I can see where you are coming from, but it will be hard because you KNOW people equate stuff like that with, "You don't really love me."

I just view it as insurance. Insurance is put on everything else in the world, why shouldn't it be put on the biggest business decision most of us will ever agree to?

@Antidope  I completely understand where you are coming from. No bull. It is easy to use the, "But it is your spouse" goggles NOW, but when those thousands of dollars are not returned, I could see why one would be frustrated.

You are going to have to find a special type of girl that is able to separate the logical from the emotional. I am cold blooded so that might be why I can see where you are coming from, but it will be hard because you KNOW people equate stuff like that with, "You don't really love me."

I just view it as insurance. Insurance is put on everything else in the world, why shouldn't it be put on the biggest business decision most of us will ever agree to?
But love isn't a business decision.

It is an emotional decision that intertwines 2 beautiful individuals together into a lasting relationship.

SMH how? Because I don't want to give away thousands of dollars to someone with little to no hope of seeing it back?

If this is the mindset while in a relationship, you probably should up your standards of the people you choose to date.

Student loans can dock you a little bit but it shouldn't cause bad credit

Well I mean, it's still the fact that it'll take a while to pay off which is the hindrance.

I don't see it as a big deal? I feel like
Majority of men have horrible credit so...

@Antidope
 I completely understand where you are coming from. No bull. It is easy to use the, "But it is your spouse" goggles NOW, but when those thousands of dollars are not returned, I could see why one would be frustrated.

If she wants to play that card then she didn't understand me to begin with. My mother always raised me to never lend money with the expectation of getting it back, that is how you lose friends and destroy relationships. But there's a limit to that. If we're talking paying someones student loans we're likely dealing with a dollar amount that's truly material. This isn't giving your boy 20$ to go get some food here, that's thousands of dollars. I'm not giving that to anyone without an agreement in place.

If this is the mindset while in a relationship, you probably should up your standards of the people you choose to date.
This has nothing to do with the people I choose to date, this applies to EVERYONE that is not my parents/ siblings. No one is exempt.

If she wants to play that card then she didn't understand me to begin with. My mother always raised me to never lend money with the expectation of getting it back, that is how you lose friends and destroy relationships. But there's a limit to that. If we're talking paying someones student loans we're likely dealing with a dollar amount that's truly material. This isn't giving your boy 20$ to go get some food here, that's thousands of dollars. I'm not giving that to anyone without an agreement in place.
This has nothing to do with the people I choose to date, this applies to EVERYONE that is not my parents/ siblings. No one is exempt.
Yea, I see nothing wrong with this mindset at all.

Maybe if pro athletes had this mentality, so many of them would get milked for everything.

id only marry a girl with debt/bad credit if she can work on it and get it together

good thing i dont gotta worry about that with my current girl :smokin and i dont see myself getting married until way later anyway :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom