‘Nina’ Film Poster Released, Twitter Not Feeling Zoe Saldana as the High Priestess of Soul

How is Fantasia gonna be Nina when she can't even read the script?
roll.gif

Zoe's been in Star Trek and Avatar. In addition to being one of the few females who has done a action movie as a lead with Colombiana. She's a known actress. That's why they got Don Cheadle as Miles instead of a no name.

I see the argument. But I don't see it as big a deal compared to how history is white washing Northern Africa in all these moves. Zoe isn't light to me. She's just lighter than Nina Simone. I think putting her in darker make up was unnecessary.

Leslie Jones from Ghostbusters / snl would have been perfect

1003190512220241217v12.jpg
Too big and kinda fat :lol:

Also not completely sure about her dramatic acting. Not doubting it just not sure how good she is.

She would basically count as a "no name" unless you watch SNL.

more than a no namer, but not a level that would make a huge difference judging by look of this film.
There is no way for us to determine THAT. But that is a risk a director is willing to take when casting for a film Chill.

If it was a no-namer, it has no chance of really blowing up.

If it has an established actor, it at least has a LONG shot of generating some sort of acclaim.

Name recognition is important and you are downplaying it by saying she wouldn't put ANY butts in seats

YOU might not care about her but plenty do
This is not true. There's always the chance of the no name acting their *** off and making the movie critically acclaimed which it would then blow up on the award side by getting nominations and/or winning.

That tends to happen once or twice every other year or so.

David Oyelowo was a nobody in Hollywood. I'm not even sure how recognizable he was in England but by simply being cast as MLK Jr in Selma which was years out he himself said that gave him a huge buzz in Hollywood and he began to land roles in all types of films before he even started filming Selma. Then when it was out he just got more opportunities which led to more nominations. He's not A-list now but he is in demand and very known coming off being a no name in America.

i can't tell anymore if yall being funny or not with some of these suggestions 

Zoe Saldana is NOT putting butts in seats, she's not that level of star.  Like someone said, this would have been a prime role to give to a young capable unknown and make them a star

Yeah but Zoe is putting Investors in seats. How many investors are lining up for a "darker" unknown black actress? It's the sad truth.

The director/producers need $ to make the film. The first thing they ask is what studio, what director and what actress.
While Zoe Saldana is probably one of the higher ranked actresses of color that's able to even be the lead in her own movies there's still push back on the whole female led movie thing. While J-Law has established can be done when the material is strong, Hollywood is gonna play dumb and ask can a chick who is black or w/e do the same. Colombiana probably didn't help much.

Yes ppl know who she is but I highly doubt the studio said Zoe is putting ppl in the seats or "investors". Especially when you look at what kind of movie this is.

Might as well tell yall now for those that don't like Zoe cast as Nina with this trailer looking good, the Miles Davis movie, and Birth of A Nation coming out late this year. All coming off #OscarsSoWhite, expect all the black actors to be nominated.

That affirmative action nominating is coming.

you're saying ANY as if you think i mean not 1 single person will go to see this movie because of her which is untrue

This movie is probably going to fade into Bolivian the week after if come out anyway
So again, why are you acting as if Zoe is some no named person without a fan base. I mean what are you basing the ,"she won't put butts in seats" comment on?

seems like you've ignored the point just to nitpick
Nice cop out.

What exactly did I ignore?
1.  Some people said Zoe was cast for the film to make money

2.  I say Zoe Saldana is not a huge box office draw.  (She was popular a few years ago, but she is not the type that people are going to the theaters for on name alone)

A no name actress might not affect the bottom line in a huge way based on the type of movie this is, and could potentially be a breakout.

3.  You reduce it to, me saying  Zoe has no fans???

This is just flat out lazy casting. Like they just sat back like "Get the black girl from Star Trek and we'll make her dark enough and give her a fake nose"

She might do a job, who knows but the fake nose and make up just looks terrible. It's obvious they got somebody that they think white folks are comfortable with.

Last edited:
1. Funny how you are the one that exaggerated what I said. I never said or implied that you said she has no fans. I said that you are dismissing her name being attached to this film having the chance to influence people that don't care about Nina potentially going to see the film.

2. YOU said Zoe isn't putting any butts in seats. I am asking you what you are basing that off of?

3. Of course this won't be a blockbuster film, but having a recognizable name vs. a no-named actor wouldn't put the film in a better position to have a higher gate? 

Again, I am NOT saying it will be a blockbuster.

2.  I say Zoe Saldana is not a huge box office draw.  (She was popular a few years ago, but she is not the type that people are going to the theaters for on name alone)

A no name actress might not affect the bottom line in a huge way based on the type of movie this is, and could potentially be a breakout.

?
It takes GUTS to do this man. People tend to go with name recognition. So putting someone in that spot that nobody knows IS a risk to those that are heading this project.

I mean it is the same way with sports. Do you hire a middle of the pack coach that hasn't taken any teams to the promised land or do you hire a new coach that doesn't have experience? You can't fault anyone for going for someone that has experience. Nor would I fault anyone for NOT taking a risk with someone that hasn't really made a name for himself yet.

Same logic here. Sure, it is always nice to see new stars made, but it is UNDERSTANDABLE (which has always been my point), for them to go with the familiar face who might not look as closely to Nina.

Zoe's been in Star Trek and Avatar. In addition to being one of the few females who has done a action movie as a lead with Colombiana. She's a known actress. That's why they got Don Cheadle as Miles instead of a no name.

I see the argument. But I don't see it as big a deal compared to how history is white washing Northern Africa in all these moves. Zoe isn't light to me. She's just lighter than Nina Simone. I think putting her in darker make up was unnecessary.
Don Cheadle is the Director and a Producer. Miles Ahead was a passion project.

Nina doesn't even have the approval of the Simone estate. Like the Jimi Hendrix movie, I'd be shocked if any of her music is in this.

So wait do yall think there's more Zoe fans than Nina fans or something? :lol:

The way it's being talked about Zoe putting ppl in seats is a gross overstatement.

As I already said, she's probably one of the more well known actresses of color getting work but that's not saying much.

So wait do yall think there's more Zoe fans than Nina fans or something?
laugh.gif

The way it's being talked about Zoe putting ppl in seats is a gross overstatement.

As I already said, she's probably one of the more well known actresses of color getting work but that's not saying much.
Not sure how you got that. 

Not what I (or anyone else) is saying .

Last edited:
So wait do yall think there's more Zoe fans than Nina fans or something? :lol:

Not sure how you got that. 

Not what I (or anyone else) is saying .
Well if nobody is saying then yall should know why saying Zoe puts ppl in the seats means nothing.

There's more Nina fans that'd watch a good movie about her than ppl flocking to see a movie with Zoe in the lead.

Last edited:
Not sure how you can honestly believe that but ok.

Again, you dudes severely disregard name recognition and people going to see movies just because their favorite actor is in it.

According to her, she isn't apparently.
I guess i don't. When i'm trying to watch a movie, i can careless really who's in it. If the story looks good, i'll peep. If the story is wack but they have a great actor/actress, it's not gonna make me want to check it out just cause so and so is in it.

Once again, why are you dudes making stuff up?...she's on record identifying as a black woman.

Back
Top Bottom