‘Nina’ Film Poster Released, Twitter Not Feeling Zoe Saldana as the High Priestess of Soul

How is Fantasia gonna be Nina when she can't even read the script?
mean.gif

laugh.gif

Yep... she received backlash for playing Etta James. In which she did a damn good job imo.
Exactly, see how that played out?

I forgot about that movie, she did a damn good job.

But because Zoe's skin tone is a little too light for an IDEAL casting, we are writing her off? Come on yall. But you can convince yourselves that anyone that ISN'T upset doesn't know Nina's story. LOL

Last edited:
Yep... she received backlash for playing Etta James. In which she did a damn good job imo.

Beyonce did the role justice because she HAD TO SING. This is a musical biopic. The reason why Ray worked is because Foxx truly immersed himself in the role as a musician as well.

Seems from ppl on here to those on twitter don't want to be clear about why they don't want Zoe to do this movie. Just be real about it.

If you think she sucks as an actor. Okay I can understand that. That's a real gripe.

I'm seeing a lot of nonsense about how she looks, fake noses, and skill color. That's some bull ****. Denzel Washington don't look a damn thing like Malcolm X but he was great in it. Don Cheadle don't look like Miles Davis but did a movie playing him that's about to come out. If you don't want her skin to get darkened a bit, okay but then things will be a bit off given what they're trying to convey. Nina's look was apart of the package.

Now if this is really about Zoe's questionable comments about being black or not, dating white boys in real life, and her white love interest in movies I can understand that gripe to a larger extent but none of that really has anything to do with her doing the role of Nina Simone. I'd also say about the white love interests in movies is more a Hollywood thing than her choice. If you look at her career she's in a bunch of black movies with a black male of female love interest. The bigger she got as an actor the less black her love interests became. That's Hollywood and a whole other topic.

I'd say just wait and see if she's good playing the role and if the movie is good.

The 7 other actresses who could've played Nina is a good list up to Viola. Thing is yall don't know if the movie is going for a mostly young Nina or older or covering her entire life. Audra, Viola, and Alfre are too old. Can't go blaming Zoe for what casting, producers, and the director chose to play the role.

Don Cheadle playing miles Davis makes up for this hopefully lol

Zoe Saldana is NOT putting butts in seats, she's not that level of star.  Like someone said, this would have been a prime role to give to a young capable unknown and make them a star

Kinda just lets you know the movie was never meant to be a huge box office hit.

You can tell what the studio is going for by who they cast as the leads.

Besides it's not like more than one biopic can't be made about one person anyway. How many ppl have portrayed MLK Jr.? Little Richard? James Brown?

I mean just going off of Zoe's acting ability you can tell where they may fall short unless she has the best performance of her life.

She don't really look dark skinned. She just look dry and ashy in that makeup

See now I didn't know the trailer was out which kinda started all of this. How was this not posted?

That dark face looks exceptionally bad in some scenes and in others it just looks like Zoe spent too much time on a hot beach somewhere in the Caribbean.

Trailer was good other than that.

Last edited:

Zoe Saldana is NOT putting butts in seats, she's not that level of star.  Like someone said, this would have been a prime role to give to a young capable unknown and make them a star
Kinda just lets you know the movie was never meant to be a huge box office hit.

I know, I say that in response to the idea that some people think she was cast to bring in money

Last edited:

She would put more than a no namer. How is that arguable?

See now I didn't know the trailer was out which kinda started all of this. How was this not posted?

That dark face looks exceptionally bad in some scenes and in others it just looks like Zoe spent too much time on a hot beach somewhere in the Caribbean.

wanna see after the trailer... doesn't look bad at all

The makeup is trash in the hospital scene :lol: but it does seem like a good movie.

When I think about I have to question who else was offered the role? I know no one was thinking "Hey Zoe Saldana would be perfect for this role".

Leslie Jones from Ghostbusters / snl would have been perfect

1003190512220241217v12.jpg

more than a no namer, but not a level that would make a huge difference judging by look of this film.
There is no way for us to determine THAT. But that is a risk a director is willing to take when casting for a film Chill.

If it was a no-namer, it has no chance of really blowing up.

If it has an established actor, it at least has a LONG shot of generating some sort of acclaim.

Name recognition is important and you are downplaying it by saying she wouldn't put ANY butts in seats

YOU might not care about her but plenty do

Yeah but Zoe is putting Investors in seats. How many investors are lining up for a "darker" unknown black actress? It's the sad truth.

The director/producers need $ to make the film. The first thing they ask is what studio, what director and what actress.

Last edited:

more than a no namer, but not a level that would make a huge difference judging by look of this film.
There is no way for us to determine THAT. But that is a risk a director is willing to take when casting for a film Chill.

If it was a no-namer, it has no chance of really blowing up.

If it has an established actor, it at least has a LONG shot of generating some sort of acclaim.

Name recognition is important and you are downplaying it by saying she wouldn't put ANY butts in seats

YOU might not care about her but plenty do
you're saying ANY as if you think i mean not 1 single person will go to see this movie because of her which is untrue

This movie is probably going to fade into Bolivian the week after if come out anyway

This casting just hightlights how Hollywood thinks black women of darker completions aren't sexy, aren't beautiful.

Viola Davis would have been perfect for the role, yes for the look, but more important for the sheer talent. Zoe is a pretty face and lets be real about it, shes a decent actress. Hollywood wanted the pretty girl to front the movie
mean.gif

Back
Top Bottom