2007 NT Boxing Post: Thanks For A Great Year/ Please Lock

Because I just started... :frown:
frown.gif
-|LESGodSonC0|-
TEAMYANKEES
TEAMGIANTS

Damn, I forgot how loaded the undercard it.

My final prediction which could potentially be embarrassing: Mosley by UD and at some point in the fight he will have Cotto hurt bad.

That was a hell of a fight. I agree with the decision. Cotto and Mosley both fought excellently...both fighters landed 248 punches, but Cotto edged out Mosley.

Lived up to the hype. Great for boxing.

Great fight. I was surprised at how well Cotto boxed, especially with the jab. I wish Mosley would have let his hands go more but I suppose that's easiersaid then done.

great fight, dont know how they gave that last round to cotto though... he was running away . Mosely is the classiest guy in sports.

It was a great fight i thought Shane did great i thought it could've been a draw, but i had Cotto winning the fight 115-113 it was 50 dollars well spent.Mosley is the greatest person in boxing he is so good for boxing.

The Casamayor fight was a disgrace he shouldn't have of won the fight it was obvious that he lost by a large margin he was holding every round and made ita boring fight.

Margarito's 1st round KO was good but that guy was washed up i hope Margarito can get a better opponent.

Great fight every shot was hard , the tide turned for both guys in the fight excellent stuff . Cotto chin seems to be better now , Mosley fought a great fightbut i think he could have jumped on Cotto a bit more in th 8-10th rds . Margarito straight crushed Golden Johnson . Santa Cruz got robbed Casa looked old butThe Baby Bull whips both .

Seemed like Cotto worked on his speed before this one... my worry was that Shane would be too quick for him , but Cotto matched him for the most part.. solidfight both ways...
Wonder who Cotto has on his radar next ?

Mosley is the greatest person in boxing he is so good for boxing.

You aint Lyin, Great Fight. Shane seemed drained towards the end but He stood in there like a champ.

I love the way Cotto Fights.
Yall know he's my favorite.

I REALLY need to see Cotto/Mayweather in @ a yr.
pimp.gif

I also felt the fight could have went either way... Cotto landed the cleaner shots which made the difference in the fight. Gotta say if this is Mosley'slast fight then he went out like a champ.

LT...

From the Good Dude AMOHOOPS:

That was a pretty damn good fight, definitely worth the $50 bones, especially since i finally found the HD PPV channel on my cable provider. It was a very close fight, that i thought Cotto edged out BARELY or maybe a draw. Either way, i have no complaints on the decision and i'm now a Mayweather win away from hitting on my parlay that pays out at +380. Ortiz and Margarito looked really impressive, Ortiz moreso because he went up against the better comp and looked much more technically sound and did the damage with one shot that didn't even land totally flush. I'm REALLY interested in seeing him in the future.

Anyway next week is another potentially great fight with Joan Guzman vs. Humberto Soto. My preliminary prediction is Soto by KO 10, but i reserve the right to change that up until Friday.

Also, i heard that negotiations have already started for Codrington-Bika rematch. For Jaidon's health i hope it doesn't come off, he just does not take head shots well
at ALL.

it was a decent fight, roy jones put up a horrible last round, i thought he would give a little more at the end

good fight...expected better...but I am satisfied with the last two weeks of boxing...sure made up for that drought we had a couple months ago...

I wish Mosley would have let his hands go more but I suppose that's easier said then done.
I said that in the Zab fight and thought the same thing with Shane but I figured it out, its Cotto. When You gettin hit with them punches thatCotto is throwin at you, it deters throwing alot of flurries and combos. the boy hits hard and is very willing to take punches to get his off.

like shane said, he's a warrior and he can box, obviously he didnt think Cotto was gonna be as skilled as he was.
Cotto = #2 lb4lb but thats my biased opinion.
glasses.gif

I REALLY need to see Cotto/Mayweather in @ a yr.
all boxing fans need to see that
pimp.gif

o yea and stringer, to quote: you gotta paste the text u wanna quote in the box, highlight it, then click the quote marks onthe thing

The decision is in: Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward is out as the trainer for former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor.

Their disappointing four-fight run together is officially over, Steward told ESPN.com on Monday.

Speculation that Steward would be replaced has run rampant since Taylor lost the middleweight title on a seventh-round knockout to Kelly Pavlik on Sept. 29.

Taylor said the move was made "three or four days ago" during a telephone conversation with Ozell Nelson, Taylor's father figure and assistant trainer. Nelson, who made the decision, is the one who hired Steward in the first place.

box_g_taylorpavlik_300sq.jpg

Al Bello/Getty Images

Jermain Taylor's loss to Kelly Pavlik, standing, all but guaranteed Emanuel Steward would be replaced.
"I talked to Ozell. We have a very good relationship, but he said he may try to [train Taylor] himself. I got no problem with that," Steward said. "If he wanted me to do it, I would do it. He said he might try to do it himself. It's not a bad decision. I'm real fine with it."
While Nelson could take over training duties on his own, a Taylor camp source told ESPN.com that there has been contact made with Pat Burns to gauge his interest in returning to train Taylor. Burns guided Taylor to a 25-0 record, the middleweight championship and both victories against Bernard Hopkins in 2005. But Nelson, whose relationship with Burns is not strong, made the decision to fire him and bring in Steward with much fanfare in the spring of 2006.

Steward said one of the key concerns he and Nelson talked about was his training schedule. If Steward remained with Taylor it would mean preparing three fighters for major fights in three weeks, not to mention the accompanying rigorous training camps.

Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs) and Taylor (27-1-1, 17 KOs) are scheduled for a Feb. 16 rematch. But if welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron defeats Jesse Feliciano on Nov. 23, and Cintron is a big favorite, Steward will be preparing Cintron for a Feb. 2 unification bout with Paul Williams. Steward also trains heavyweight titleholder Wladimir Klitschko, who is going to fight Sultan Ibragimov in a Feb. 23 unification fight.

"It's very hard to do that with that schedule and do what is necessary to do with Jermain," Steward said. "He really needs to be with me right now because he needs to be going over and over and over things so he does things automatically in the rematch and doesn't have to think about what to do. It would mean coming with me now and Jermain is not the kind of guy to do that. Ozell said he thinks he has retained enough of what he saw me working on with Jermain to do it himself."

Said Lou DiBella, Taylor's promoter and longtime friend of Steward's, "I don't think this move is a referendum on Emanuel Steward. He's one of the greatest trainers in the game. But I think with Cintron and Klitschko also fighting that month that Emanuel has his hands full with two other champions. Things didn't click as well as they could have and Emanuel thought that Jermain often didn't follow his instruction. Obviously, he's a great trainer, but sometimes a trainer and a fighter don't have the requisite chemistry."

DiBella refused to address the question of who would replace Steward.

A news conference had been tentatively scheduled to announce Pavlik-Taylor II on Tuesday in New York, but it was canceled. Part of the reason was the uncertainty about who would train Taylor. Pavlik is also recovering from a household accident last week in which he put both of his hands and arms through a glass window and required 108 stitches, an injury that is not expected to delay the rematch.

The Taylor-Steward pairing just never seemed to click. They had an abbreviated training camp for their first fight together, Taylor's controversial draw with difficult southpaw Winky Wright. Then came decision victories against Kassim Ouma and Cory Spinks, fights against junior middleweights for which Taylor's lackluster performance was roundly criticized. They were followed by the brutal knockout loss to Pavlik.

"I told Ozell if he needs any advice or just wants to talk, I'll be glad to," Steward said. "We finished up saying that he might try training Jermain himself and I wished them good luck

Back
Top Bottom