• 45-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some NT'ers here forget that Kobe himself is only a portion of how they make money business wise as a franchise.

Seriously the Lakers as a franchise and brand make serious money revenue off of the following: They're regional TV contract with Time Warner which is worth $3 to $5 billion over 20 years which is at least $200 million each year.They make a lot of money in apparel sales, corporate contracts & endorsements etc.

Basketball and personal decisions regarding the current and future roster. Mitch & Jim Buss have publicly said they honestly felt they had no real shot at Lebron or Melo. They looked at second tier players like Lowry, Bledsoe, Monroe, Stephenson, or Parsons and didn't like what they saw and probably felt like they didn't want to handicap the teams current and future cap space felxability by offering them long term max or close to max contracts which would have been required to have any chance of signing those 2nd tier players. None of those players are franchise players worth max or near max long term contracts.

Bottom line is that there is no quick fix which a lot people in this thread seem to be looking for by signing 2nd tier young talented players that would have made us immeidate championship contenders this year or in 2 to 3 years.

Last edited:
Man it is what it is. We talking about his contract still ? Didn't he sign that last season ?

This....

So sick of talking about that contract. It was stupid. Yes. Is there anything we can do about it now? NO! So why keep talking about it?

Talking about assetes that we may or may not have been able to get over this contract it just moot at this point.

At this point we should just be focusing on this season...nothing else.

So why keep talking about it?

When we're in dead last place again all year this year, then come talk to us about NOT talkin about that contract. :wink:

That's the stuff you guys that want to keep pushing forward are forgetting. You're hands are tied doing so. You want to win now, and ignore tanking, and don't care about the future, just win games now, no matter the cost..........and then try to ignore that contract. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But that's none of my business.

View media item 1192015

Kobe's contract didn't prevent winning now.

What prevented winning now were 3 things

1. CP3 trade nixed
2. Dwight Howard not being a fit in LA, despite everything in his personality pointing to this is where he should be.
3. Steve Nash's contract

Those 3 things are far more important in why we are not winning now. I could even add 3 more... Pau Gasol rapid decline, Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni ahead of Kobe's contract.

Kobe's contract didn't prevent being able to sign a 2nd star, a 3rd wheel with Randle, and a couple bench pieces. Why do I say that? Because mathematically it didn't. And math is the only thing that really matters.

Last edited:
I agree with some of that. CP3, Dwight, Nash deal, Pau, yeah, no doubt.

So with all that, ON TOP of, they decide to pay 24 mil annually to a 36 year old fading star. :\

On its own, bad enough, to do that, AFTER those other 3 things? I mean.

Last edited:
When we're in dead last place again all year this year, then come talk to us about NOT talkin about that contract. :wink:

That's the stuff you guys that want to keep pushing forward are forgetting. You're hands are tied doing so. You want to win now, and ignore tanking, and don't care about the future, just win games now, no matter the cost..........and then try to ignore that contract. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But that's none of my business.

View media item 1192015

Here is the thing CP...what's done is done. That contract is done.

If we are dead last we are dead last. That contract by itself would not have put us there. Poor playing would have put us there.

Your imaginary assets wouldn't have us in first place either...so it's a moot point.

I agree with you. We have to do better. But your plan just like mine isn't rock solid. You want to tank and get assets. I understand why you would want to do that but...

YOU DON'T RUN A FRANCHISE.... YOU DON'T HAVE INVESTORS TO ANSWER TO!

The front office made the decisions they made. Nothing we can do about it. We all talked about how bad the contract was. So when do we leave it alone? Sip all the tea you want...it doesn't make you any better or any smarter than any other fan on this board.

Beating the contract horse to prove sometime of point is old. We got players who we can develop. We got money coming up in a couple years. Focus on that instead of something you CAN NOT CHANGE!

Not everybody may agree with me and thats fine. End of the day the season hasn't even tipped and we are talking about a contract that happened LAST YEAR!!!! AGAIN!!! It's dead...its done...just let it die.

Tupac, I'm not in here saying I'm smarter than you. I don't care who's smarter.

I'm simply pointing out the flaw in people's hope to compete now, but do something that is counterproductive to that goal.

If someone is glad they paid Kobe all that money, and he'll retire with us, etc, shouldn't they then be looking ahead, and not thinking this team will compete, now? Doesn't that make more sense?

And why are we not allowed to talk about something Laker, and relevant, in here? We can only talk about good things? We can only say good things, nothing else?

Jim is great, Mitch is great, Kobe's great, the team is great, we're great. And that's it? That's all we're allowed to say now, good things?

But when Phil was here, and we were winning titles, all we read was Sasha sucks, Luke sucks, LO is lazy, this team sucks, Shannon sucks, Pau is soft, Kobe shoots too much

But NOW, all positive talk only?

:lol:

Alright man. When the team is hitting a rough spot, I expect you in here calming all the troops, telling them it's alright, just focus on the good, no need to examine any details, cuz they don't own a team. I'm with you man.

I agree with some of that. CP3, Dwight, Nash deal, Pau, yeah, no doubt.

So with all that, ON TOP of, they decide to pay 24 mil annually to a 36 year old fading star. :\

On its own, bad enough, to do that, AFTER those other 3 things? I mean.

We agree that it was too much. But the max is too much for every single player outside of LeBron & KD. And there's a **** load of guys getting a max deal.

We were never going to win a title this year.. Under no circumstance, even under the pipe dream of Kobe - LeBron - Melo. That team would still lose due to lack of everything else on the team.

Here's where we disagree. You seem to argue that it hurts the top of a championship team, but in all reality Kobe's contract impacted who the 7th man would be.

If you just go by the 2nd year of the Kobe contract is where we are a serious contender... The 2nd year could have FINANCIALLY been put together with a starting 5 (Kobe, another max, third wheel, $5mil guy, Randle), Swaggy P, and the last 3 guys of the rotation. What Kobe's contract prevents is who that 2nd guy on the bench is.

And if Kobe was at $17 then $18mil, what it would change is $3-4mil for a 7th man, and $1.5mil instead of $1.1mil for an 8th man.

And it largely stays the same regardless of Kobe's contract, even if you stretched Nash, or let him expire this year.

Last edited:
Yeah, we see it fairly close, minus a few mil here or there.

My point isn't even on what I myself want. I'm speaking to what the guys who want to "win now" want. Win now, meaning regular season, make playoffs as a 6-7 seed, etc. If they want to win now, or compete now, they should be angrier than me, so they'd have 2 better pieces on the roster.

Me? Harms me none. His deal merely blocks a couple extra wins, maybe an extra trade that nets a future asset. But still keeps us with a chance at saving two picks.

It's real clear tho, Kobe, Lin, Nick Young, they don't care about winning anymore, they care about printing money.

Hypothetically if Kobe were to put up his career averages of 25/5/5 would you still be opposed to the contract? 

Last edited:
Yes. Contract isn't about his play, I'm sure he'll play fine, offensively.

As an overall player, *defense* he's not worth 24 million at age 36-37.

Bron in his prime isn't making 24 mil. :lol:

we still talking contract....really tho, the contract still

allen-iverson-practice.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom