2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

Not sure how that's a. relevant to this thread or b. noteworthy but yeah, that's my comment; I don't think hypothesizing over how a white athlete would be perceived if he did something similar in any way denotes racism...but I digress.

you lowkey know what you were saying, which is why you were damn sure to clean it up on here when it got posted

shame on you man, i thought you had more sense than that

Hype is a fickle thing. Take a look at the last few years for example, Adidas was dominating the "sneakerhead" world with ultraboost, nmds and yeezys. I'm not talking about sales either because the aforementioned Adidas sneakers are still selling like hotcakes, however anyone who has been in this game for a while knows the hype is pretty much gone now and has shifted to the new hotness, off white nikes. And I'm sure once the market gets saturated with those something else will come along.

Basically what I'm getting at is that SBs were the hype sneakers a decade ago as I'm sure everyone in this thread knows, but the "sneaker world" moved on and left SBs behind. It's no longer the hotness it once was and may never be again. Sure some dunks still sell out, there are collabs every now and then that generate a little hype. But as long as SBs remain forgotten and left behind it's hard to argue that SBs aren't dead. They may not be dead to us(everyone in this thread) but to the mainstream sneaker world they are dead in the water.

you lowkey know what you were saying, which is why you were damn sure to clean it up on here when it got posted

shame on you man, i thought you had more sense than that

pretty sure of the two of us, only one of us knows what I was thinking and how I meant it...but I welcome you (or anyone else) to shoot me a PM if you’d like to discuss it further.

There’s prob better discussion in here on reinvigorating the SB brand than there is at Nike’s SB offices.
A140FBE1-293B-4E96-9272-07209EC68479.gif

I don’t think Sb is dead, but it’s definitely dying.

This conversation couldn’t have come at a better time. I’ve slowl
Chill fellas. Opinions entitled no doubt and proof is in the numbers but waves are waves. Nike SB, dunks and everything of the sort just isn’t the wave right now. I will always be down for Nike SB but with the weak releases over the last few years (a decade to be exact) I just won’t cope anything.

Buy what you like and let others live.
Hype is a fickle thing. Take a look at the last few years for example, Adidas was dominating the "sneakerhead" world with ultraboost, nmds and yeezys. I'm not talking about sales either because the aforementioned Adidas sneakers are still selling like hotcakes, however anyone who has been in this game for a while knows the hype is pretty much gone now and has shifted to the new hotness, off white nikes. And I'm sure once the market gets saturated with those something else will come along.

Basically what I'm getting at is that SBs were the hype sneakers a decade ago as I'm sure everyone in this thread knows, but the "sneaker world" moved on and left SBs behind. It's no longer the hotness it once was and may never be again. Sure some dunks still sell out, there are collabs every now and then that generate a little hype. But as long as SBs remain forgotten and left behind it's hard to argue that SBs aren't dead. They may not be dead to us(everyone in this thread) but to the mainstream sneaker world they are dead in the water.

All hype aside, at the end of the day, its every individual’s preference that matters. There’s no denying the fact that SBs changed the shoe game completely and have some of the most amazing collabs and colorways ever made. I don’t care what anybody else says. I’ll rock my SBs or whatever shoe I want regardless of them being “dead” in the mainstream community. Also... the off whites aren’t my thing lol anybody who messes with those.. have fun with that haha. Speaking for myself, idc if hype for any shoe is dead or not because I don’t wear my shoes for clout. I wear them because a. I like the colorway/style of them and b. for nostalgia purposes. But what do I know ? I’m a noob lol

John00 John00 Yes, because they're the poor man's alternative to $600+ for deadstock tiffany lows. I paid $325 for clean tiffany lows, and again I'm much happier with that than $150 for the **** they turned them into in 2014. I've been buying SB clothing, though - I have three pairs of the everett shorts and they're perfect. But their dunks are awful and nobody wants them for a multitude of reasons - ugly, poor materials, uncomfortable, the list goes on. Plus we have these elite, flyknit, and skinny tongue abominations.

If you're spending retail on nike sb in 2018, you're the one losing.

You’re literally proving the point I’m making with everything you say. You said the Tiffs sold well because they’re the poor man’s alternative. Exactly, that’s the point. If you want to sell product, you need to sell people things that they want. That means, people will buy SB if it’s something that is dope. You went on to say that people aren’t buying because of horrible materials and they’re ugly and so on. That proves my other point about them being mismanaged. This isn’t a brand that doesn’t have the tools or catalog to turn this around. They have TONS of things in the vault to make the turn but instead they’d rather continue on this weird road of nonsense. It’s not that they can’t sell SBs, it’s that the customer won’t buy crap that they just throw out just because. If SB is so dead, WHY do they attempt to use classic SB dunk color ways to sell other silhouettes in the SB line and even other silhouettes outside the SB line?! They literally recently took 2 classic Medicom color ways, that people have loved forever, and slammed them on some ugly *** Elites and tried to push that to us. We all knew they were outlet bound from the beginning. Mismanagement at it’s finest. Now, I’m no creative director but that could’ve been done way better. They could’ve released 1 or 2 of those color ways on a dunk as a low/high conversion and done a new Medicom color way for a dunk as well. That would’ve made tons of sense. WHY would you bastardize a classic color way for silhouettes that don’t fit them? It’s pure idiocy. It’s gets even dumber when I see them do things like put the Raygun or Yellow Lobster color way on a Kyrie and sell them. So let me get this right, you don’t think you can sell Yellow Lobster color way to SB heads, but you can sell them to basketball players? So you’re telling me a kid that buys a Yellow Lobster Kyrie, won’t buy an actual Yellow Lobster dunk? That is the type of nonsense that I’m talking about. Bad decisions and total mismanagement of the brand have left SB where it is currently at now. I’ll say it again, it’s not that SB can’t sell, it’s that it WON’T sell if you put out crap. By the way, a few people keep saying that the SB is changing direction and going more toward skaters. That’s funny because that doesn’t seem to be getting them anywhere either. All those elites, Nyjah Free, Ishods and so on go to the outlets immediately. That stuff sits forever no matter what they do. Those limited Medicom Elites were 40% - 50% off swifty after release without question. Ishods no matter how limited haven’t done well either. Outlets filled with them. Listen, SB needs to refocus. If they want to get techy and do things for skaters, fine. But that that doesn’t mean they have to dump their bread and butter dunks. Jordan Brand can do it, why can’t SB? JB makes techy basketball shoes for on court play and they also handle the more profitable retro line extremely well. Why can’t SB do the same thing?! That’s all I’m saying.

Last edited:
By the way, a few people keep saying that the SB is changing direction and going more toward skaters. That’s funny because that doesn’t seem to be getting them anywhere either. All those elites, Nyjah Free, Ishods and so on go to the outlets immediately. That stuff sits forever no matter what they do. Those limited Medicom Elites were 40% - 50% off swifty after release without question. Ishods no matter how limited haven’t done well either.
Clarifying - skaters don't want Dunks. Not Ishod Dunks. Not Elite Dunks. Not skinny tongue Dunks. Not TRD Dunks. The Dunk is dead in skating. (Although the Elite is a pretty good skate shoe...)

You're off base on the Nyjah. Try to find the first two colorways for cheap. Go ahead, I'll wait. Don't try StockX. But this is sort of irrelevant, because only the kooks and grade-schoolers out there are wearing a shoe with 'Nyjah' on it (no offense).

The new Ishod blazer seems to be doing well - based on the 500 Insta posts I've seen with his name on the sole showing. Blazer's, Bruin's, and other Vulc's are what the kids want. And if you want a cupsole, Nike has some great price point options that are loads better to skate in than a Dunk.

As far as the AF2 goes, Nike screwed up on that one, but catalogs are planned a year + in advance so what are they gonna do, just burn the stock? They had the supreme release, the KB release, and now a few colorways, but it's nothing indicative as to where the brand is going, because they'll be gone in a few seasons.

Go to a skatepark and count the number of kids wearing Nike shoes (AND APPAREL). That's their bread and butter, not SB Dunks which have fit like **** since 2011. Fewer skateshops are carrying SB, but that's just more money for Nike with direct sales and e-commerce.

Not to mention the Janoski alone is enough to float the entire brand, so as much as the mismanagement line rings true, it's pissing in the ocean for the bottom line

Not to mention the Janoski alone is enough to float the entire brand, so as much as the mismanagement line rings true, it's pissing in the ocean for the bottom line
How could I forget the Janoski? Yes, absolutely enough. They don't even have to try and they sell. Honestly it's a great shoe, skate or otherwise. They hit the jackpot there.

As far as the AF2 goes, Nike screwed up on that one, but catalogs are planned a year + in advance so what are they gonna do, just burn the stock? They had the supreme release, the KB release, and now a few colorways, but it's nothing indicative as to where the brand is going, because they'll be gone in a few seasons.

Go to a skatepark and count the number of kids wearing Nike shoes (AND APPAREL). That's their bread and butter, not SB Dunks which have fit like **** since 2011. Fewer skateshops are carrying SB, but that's just more money for Nike with direct sales and e-commerce.

I agree, the af2 threw me for a loop, never knew of it as a skate shoe. Not necessarily something I'd shoot for either but if there's a pair i like, iil give em a try. I feel like maybe they put out these not so likeable colorways so you can either rip em or just school peeps on the af2 history. And if they dont last id be happier to have a pair and pull them out every blue moon

Back
Top Bottom