A soon to be Drum Major at FAMU has died because of a hazing act

span>RLANDO, Fla. — From the time Robert Champion was a 6-year-old kid watching his first parade, he knew his destiny. Awestruck at the sight of a drum major leading a band along the streets of Atlanta, the boy began to beg his parents for any kind of musical instrument he could get his hands on.

Then he took a broom handle and marched around his driveway, choreographing his steps to a tune only he could hear.

He was a natural.

"When he performed, he would come alive on that field," his mother, Pamela Champion, said. "He used to tell the younger students that you had to do your best — and then you had to do better. You had to outdo yourself."

Champion, who was working to put himself through college at Florida A&M University in Tallahassee, sent his parents a photo from his last performance Nov. 19 in Orlando, at the Florida Classic football game between FAMU and longtime rival Bethune-Cookman University. In it, Champion is poised in full dress on the field, lunging to one side to meet the gaze of a pint-sized drum major from a child’s band.

"This picture says so much," Champion texted. "It’s like I’m looking at myself."

It was the last time his parents would hear from their 26-year-old son. Hours later, he was dead after what authorities said was an apparent hazing ritual aboard a parked band bus. A panicky band mate told a 911 operator that Champion had vomited and then lost consciousness. Some claim he had been repeatedly punched in the stomach.

His death has sparked a national uproar over hazing, which a growing number of students say was part of the culture at FAMU and other schools where powerhouse marching bands carry more prestige than winning football teams. The Florida Board of Governors, Orange County Sheriff’s Office and Florida Department of Law Enforcement, as well as the university, have vowed to investigate. Already, longtime FAMU band director Julian White has been fired — a move he is protesting.

White as well as current and former band mates attended Champion’s funeral in Decatur, Ga., last week, where they saluted him and spoke of his gentle, gracious nature and great talent."

more after the link

http://news.bostonherald....home&position=recent

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Some of those dummies in the band will have a murder on their hands....MULTIPLE lives ruined over some stupidty.

If only the dude would have stood up for himself before he was subjected to this abuse....
30t6p3b.gif

This has been goin on for years

Fam takes there band very serious they have played at multiple inaugurations, multiple superbowls at halftime or before, the grammys with Kanye they credits run deep

lf you miss a step run outta breath play off key drop your instrument you beat to believe you will be lookin like you got in a fight wit Mike Tyson

Its really sad cause I personally know sooooooo many people who have been in the 100 and they are a very talented band

I blame the band geeks trying to copy what they saw fraternities doing...especially citing the impact of fraternities on social life at HBCUs.

Not condoning what fraternities do AT ALL because its heinous at times

But there is CLEARLY a pattern of behavior that they LEARNED.

They should have known better and I hope the prosecute to the full extent of the law. Someones life is at stake.

these kids are so dumb. theres a big difference between hazing (tying a dude to a goal post for a few hours, making him run around in his underwear) and pulverizing someone and killing them.
30t6p3b.gif
hope they get the same treatment as punishment.

RIP.

Originally Posted by bjm5295

these kids are so dumb. theres a big difference between hazing (tying a dude to a goal post for a few hours, making him run around in his underwear) and pulverizing someone and killing them.
30t6p3b.gif

RIP.
QFT. Between this and the Oreo incident, I dont want to think what the world is coming to anymore
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by TylerrS99

30t6p3b.gif

RIP.
QFT. Between this and the Oreo incident, I dont want to think what the world is coming to anymore
30t6p3b.gif

Coming to? I saw a study that there has been at least one hazing death per year since 1970.

....this is 2 weeks old right? 

....a chick i work with went to HS with dude and attended the funeral.

RIP. at least the school made a swift move in getting rid of the band director. annual stats on the number of hazing deaths and how/if theyre prosecuted would be an interesting read

what makes it so bad people here supported the hazing

fans, boosters, old people, young people everybody in they momma knew about Famu Marching 100 hazing members that didnt put on a flawless performance

I remember hearing my aunties and uncles and some older alumni saying "oh look so n so missed a step they wont be sleeping tonight"

But now that a death is involved everybody wants to be outta sight and outta mind

ima try and find the video of one of the bands practices

The only time I hear about this FAMU school is when there is some kind of controversy

Always has me feeling as though this school is fake or something

It's sad because the director actually suspended around 20 people at the beginning of this semester for hazing. Of course they didn't listen & they continued on w their stupidity.
30t6p3b.gif

Allegedly he died after the "thunder & lightning" round when they got back on the bus after the classic. That's when they beat you on the chest (thunder) and smack you on both your arms (lightning). Just imagine the whole bus doing it, though. There's roughly 30 seats on either side of the bus, with two people per seat. That's 120 people beating down your chest & smacking up your arms. What a way to go out.

Originally Posted by PleaseSayTheBaby23

what makes it so bad people here supported the hazing

fans, boosters, old people, young people everybody in they momma knew about Famu Marching 100 hazing members that didnt put on a flawless performance

I remember hearing my aunties and uncles and some older alumni saying "oh look so n so missed a step they wont be sleeping tonight"

But now that a death is involved everybody wants to be outta sight and outta mind

ima try and find the video of one of the bands practices

This is partly why even after being initiated into fraternity I have to look back on it and kinda wonder if I can support this kind of thing. Its heinous and I can't support hazing of any sort anymore. I understand why and how it was used but its only after hazing went underground did it get worse. Its just how society evolves I guess. That was a moment in history.
What confuses me about this case is that they were ALREADY apart of the band. Its not like hazing was a barrier to entry. It was the membership tax.
30t6p3b.gif

And whats worse again...is that THIS IS A BAND. What type of crap is that? Dudes with tubas and flutes looking to beat another man up on the trip back to school? They were on a power trip completely. 

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

The only time I hear about this FAMU school is when there is some kind of controversy

Oh...you're talking about THAT controversy... 
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Spoiler [+]
15eiclu.png
roll.gif

Originally Posted by hugebird

Originally Posted by TylerrS99

30t6p3b.gif

RIP.
30t6p3b.gif

Coming to? I saw a study that there has been at least one hazing death per year since 1970.

Yea, unfortunately hazing deaths isn't something that is new.

Originally Posted by starzinoureyes

It's sad because the director actually suspended around 20 people at the beginning of this semester for hazing. Of course they didn't listen & they continued on w their stupidity.
30t6p3b.gif

Allegedly he died after the "thunder & lightning" round when they got back on the bus after the classic. That's when they beat you on the chest (thunder) and smack you on both your arms (lightning). Just imagine the whole bus doing it, though. There's roughly 30 seats on either side of the bus, with two people per seat. That's 120 people beating down your chest & smacking up your arms. What a way to go out.

that really puts things into perspective.crazy stuff.... and just imagine someone or some folks that just could have been downright jealous of dude because he was about to be drum major, when it came there turn to throw punches i bet they did it with bad intentions. of course if they all had to go to court their defense would probably be that they all tried to hold back on their punches or they didnt know their own strength, yeah that would work for a 14 year old, not a college student.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Oh...you're talking about THAT controversy... 
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Spoiler [+]
15eiclu.png
roll.gif
tumblr_lf6r0v46oM1qbvihuo1_500.gif

Show me the light bredren

Back
Top Bottom