ABC NEWS REPORT ON SNEAKER BUYING AND SELLING

What happened to loving the shoe because it was beautiful?

I remember when I used to unbox a new pair for the first time and discovering all of the little things that made Jordans, Jordans.
Those little things that you couldnt see on the picture that put the shoe over the top.
Especially since back then the picture of the shoe never did the shoe justice.

Im guessing part of that is the fact that these shoes were never before seen. They werent retroes. They were brand new shoes. And everyone was still discovering what was great about them. And I believe that discovery period was a key factor in what made us love the shoes in the first place.

These days, these kids have seen these shoes for their whole life. To them, they are 'just another pair of Jordan retroes,' in a new color or other gimmick like NA on the back. They have no real connection to the shoe. Just another opportunity to make some quick cash.

I think that is what is really missing from a lot of these hypebeasts and resellers out there. An actual love for the shoe.

DJ clark kent said it best...

"these kids dont want da shoes, they want da thing that comes with da shoes"

i consider myself a older head at this point, i remember da first day i fell head over heels over some sneakers,

Nike_Air_Force_Max_CB.jpg

air force max CB, worn by da round mound of rebound...thats always been

what fueled my obsession with kicks, Charles Barkley back then was like a DA MAN to me, while Jordan was Superman, i never

saw myself in MJ, he was too perfect, too good...a god. Barkley on da other hand was someone that i can resonate with, he was a hard worker,

blue collar, he displayed character flaws, he ALWAYS said what was on him mind,  he was short for his position, he was counted out many times,

he was deemed a egotistical monster, but deep inside his rough no nonsense exterior was a good guy with a big heart that was raised by a single

mother that appreciated people.

these days, da shallowness of reselling sneakers for profit robbed da sneaker community of its genuine passion and culture that boards like this

were spawned from. its like, people aren't chasing da sneaker anymore, they're chasing da notoriety that comes with owning a particular pair of

kicks, and i've learned along time ago that chasing empty status is something that sneakers aren't going to quench, because that comes from

within, not from stitched leather and rubber.....i've longed been a prisoner of nostalgia, thats always what kept me buying, but seeing as how

i nearly have everything i've ever wanted from my era, its easy to walk away from something that doesn't resemble da hobby i used to be

enthusiastic about as a youngster.

laugh.gif
  This is what's wrong with the shoe game nowadays.  It has become the new trend  for everyone.   Hopefully it dies down soon with this new generation that is into it for all the wrong reasons.     I say give it another year or 2 and it will.    

Spoiled *** kids. :smh: These kicks are just a status symbol for them. No love for the kicks and what they represented.

This is why I have never bought shoes off someone. I have always been the type retail or bust. I will not and have never waited in line for anything in my life. I try to land kicks online and if I fail well there is always the NEXT release.

Last edited:
Cat's didn't even get to watch Jordan play on the Wizards, let alone the Bulls...and yet they want to wear his sneakers... :stoneface:

..That's why I'm done with sneakers, been done actually...have no type of passion for it anymore...I'll keep what I got and that's that.

This. Getting kicks ain't worth the stress & hassle nowadays

Last edited:
It's bad when EVERYTHING is selling out, when did dudes start beasting over Asics,

Mocha 3's sat forever and ever went on sale. If they release them and make them limited they'll sell out

U know its really bad when they got picture of yezzys selling for a 1000 bucks,a F$&@ing picture!! Cmon!

Damn near had a riot at 21 Mercer today over the Air Jordan V "Black Grape". If that doesn't tell you the state of the culture, nothing will. People walking by and taking pictures of it were laughing like this woman I was explaining the situation to. Get out while you can or go after what you truly like.

there was never any "sneaker culture", stop being foolish.

people make a culture, not merchandise.

they're just clothing accessories, why are you amazed that people with money are buying clothing accessories?

To those comparing to pokemon...

Pokemon still go for good money, they just gotta be rare and DS.

An unopened 1st edition booster pack go for like $150 ($7 retail) with an unopened box going for $5,000+ ($200 retail)

And the card tournaments are still poppin so new cards get sold even quicker.

So if shoes are gonna be like pokemon, then they aren't coming down anytime soon.
Damn. I had hundreds of them. Should have kept them on ice. 

Shoes are not going to die anytime soon is the understatement of the year. Jordan's may go out of style, but then lebrons will come in. SB's were the it shoe, now it's KD's. there will always be something to take something else's place.

Lets say basketball shoes aren't the cool thing anymore, well nike can just release dress shoes (which they have) or casual shoes. They have everything covered. Think of them as the "apple" of the shoe industry. They can make anything sell

Last edited:
Shoes are not going to die anytime soon is the understatement of the year. Jordan's may go out of style, but then lebrons will come in. SB's were the it shoe, now it's KD's. there will always be something to take something else's place.

Said the trading card collectors in 1989.....

Said the Comic book collectors in 1992.....

Said the Mopar car collectors in 2002......

Said the beanie baby collectors in 1999.....

When niche collectors markets explode to a point of massive public consumption its only a matter of time before the whole market implodes.

When niche collectors markets explode to a point of massive public consumption its only a matter of time before the whole market implodes.
The point is nike and all other shoe companies can tailor their product so that it is completely new again and market it to different generations NOT just kids and young adults. On top of that they make enough money off of normal stuff that they don't have anything to worry about. Pokemon doesn't have lebron James pushing their product. When lebron is done nike will jump o the next big thing and bring in his followers along with a new generation of shoe buyers to go with the old ones

Last edited:

The point is nike and all other shoe companies can tailor their product so that it is completely new again and market it to different generations NOT just kids and young adults. On top of that they make enough money off of normal stuff that they don't have anything to worry about. Pokemon doesn't have lebron James pushing their product. When lebron is done nike will jump o the next big thing and bring in his followers along with a new generation of shoe buyers to go with the old ones

Im not talking about Nike as a corporation going under... Im talking strictly about the "collectors market"

My advice to anyone "collecting" with the hopes of some financial gain... sell 'em all now while you can. That ship set sail a long time ago and its about to sink. hard.

For the past week a lot of people are unloading their shoes on craigslist

I think this has something to do with the current notoriety of the "grey market" alot of people realizing this "Grey market" offers nearly any shoe released in the last few years for half the price.

Cats are spooked and want to flip their legit pairs before they become worthless because nobody can tell the difference.

For the past week a lot of people are unloading their shoes on craigslist

Im pretty sure they were trying to free up money for the "black grapes/aquas"

Seriously blame these parents! Wow who's paying for these shoes originally before they sell them at the conventions.

Last edited:

Im not talking about Nike as a corporation going under... Im talking strictly about the "collectors market"

My advice to anyone "collecting" with the hopes of some financial gain... sell 'em all now while you can. That ship set sail a long time ago and its about to sink. hard.

From an economical standpoint yes you have a point my friend and a mighty good one. However with sneakers the bubble will burst but will resurface only to repeat this cycle.

Sneakers are not exempt from polarizing bell curving financials but they have a different card that somewhat keeps them relevant and that is they are still practical by sense. Granted having $100+ sneakers is not a necessity they still serve an innate purpose unlike an obscure item or accessory. Couple that with the marketing power of the "it" athletes of the moment and this cycle will continue to repeat itself for a long time coming.

Yes the popularity in "collecting" will come and go, but as long as professional sports and superstar athletes are big business, sneakers will always at least hold true to loyal enthusiasts and oh yeah... athletes.

Back
Top Bottom