Air Jordan 5 Retro Grape NRG - Fresh Prince

21s are awesome for casual and for court AND no laces is sweet especially the older yu get. heck give us a sock inside (like the Griffey 1 has) and let it be. These arent made for the court so they dont NEED laces besides if The Fresh Prince wore silly laces yall would go nuts but he didnt, he wore no laces and now we have a nice collab with minimal details about it that make the shoe awesome and they appeal to the average consumer because the collab isnt stupid like most. I mean boost sells well because of the almost laceless appeal (you can pull them off and on with or without laces so laces arent necessary) so... i dunno why im still trying to convince others when it doesnt matter.

I wonder how will the sizing be if we won't be able to tie them for our exact fit. I wear a sz 12 in these but would probably go with a sz 11.5, that's even if I were to get them.

I wonder how will the sizing be if we won't be able to tie them for our exact fit. I wear a sz 12 in these but would probably go with a sz 11.5, that's even if I were to get them.

I wear a 12 and I would just go with my regular 12 for these. The shoe should still be the same length wise. Going down to a 11.5 will just hurt your toes. The stitching on the tongue and upper along with the elastic on the tongue around the sides of the foot should be enough to hold it on.

If I ever get these the first thing I'm doing is grabbing my drill and some white laces to make a custom natural look happen. I'll even throw in some lace locks.:D

People are hating on these because it means real Nike Air Grapes are probably a ways off now.

I hate this shoe for that very reason. You'd have to pay me to take them. Trash is probably too kind of a word to describe this garbage. The bad thing is these will sell out if they're limited. That means you can expect plenty more of this from Jordan Brand in the future :smh:

People are hating on these because it means real Nike Air Grapes are probably a ways off now.

I hate this shoe for that very reason. You'd have to pay me to take them. Trash is probably too kind of a word to describe this garbage. The bad thing is these will sell out if they're limited. That means you can expect plenty more of this from Jordan Brand in the future :smh:
Exactly. It’s not like these are a rip off, it’s literally the shoe minus lace holes. People keep saying 2020, but I doubt they’d drop these and the fire reds in 2020. These stupid Anniversary drops only net one OG colorway. We’ll see with the 4s in 2019, but I’m skeptical about the fire Red and Black Cement dropping next year. If only one does, and the Grape is the chosen oG in 2020, when will we get either fire Red?

21s are awesome for casual and for court AND no laces is sweet especially the older yu get. heck give us a sock inside (like the Griffey 1 has) and let it be. These arent made for the court so they dont NEED laces besides if The Fresh Prince wore silly laces yall would go nuts but he didnt, he wore no laces and now we have a nice collab with minimal details about it that make the shoe awesome and they appeal to the average consumer because the collab isnt stupid like most. I mean boost sells well because of the almost laceless appeal (you can pull them off and on with or without laces so laces arent necessary) so... i dunno why im still trying to convince others when it doesnt matter.
Boosts are a light small knitted shoe. Works well with minimal laces & were made with that design. 5's are a big bulky heavy shoe with a whole different look. Not even the same company or category of shoes. Thats like saying why not have 5's with steel toes, they work well with boots.

I mean prince wore them in the intro & for a few seconds in the 1st episode, I get it, im a major fan of the show. I wanted a laceless pair when I was young. So don't get me wrong, im in for a pair, you don't have to convince me. I just think most of the negative issues with the laces are the same ones I have, not so much that they are laceless, but that Nike never bothered to give us the option to lace em up aswell with simple lace holes. Thats all.

They need to get better at adapting onscreen or print moments.

IMO, if Gentry was running things, he would have dropped them unlaced like 1s. Fresh Prince logo on insole, and the stripes from Will shirt at the base of one the outsoles like the FTL 3s or del sol 5s. Probably with tumbled leather. They would have looked like the OG grapes, but different, unlike these.

Lets not act like Gentry isnt the man behind some of the most fire colorways of all time.

Look I love fresh prince and I love the grapes.
Got my first connect in 2006 because of the grape release.

But this is a ****ty gimmick. What’s next?
Pre scuffed leather jordans? Ooh wait

Huh, it didn’t take that long
Pre scuff ones haha

Attachments

• 5653A502-2485-4C56-BEF6-60F72C4873E7.jpeg
    5653A502-2485-4C56-BEF6-60F72C4873E7.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 13
These arent as bad as everyone is making them out to be. Mostly cause of the Nike Air on the back. The shirt and or hoodie is a must, though. Definitely copping. As far as the kicks. Ehhhhhhh, i dunno. If i'm dropping $190, i'ma need optional laces.

Boosts are a light small knitted shoe. Works well with minimal laces & were made with that design. 5's are a big bulky heavy shoe with a whole different look. Not even the same company or category of shoes. Thats like saying why not have 5's with steel toes, they work well with boots.

I mean prince wore them in the intro & for a few seconds in the 1st episode, I get it, im a major fan of the show. I wanted a laceless pair when I was young. So don't get me wrong, im in for a pair, you don't have to convince me. I just think most of the negative issues with the laces are the same ones I have, not so much that they are laceless, but that Nike never bothered to give us the option to lace em up aswell with simple lace holes. Thats all.

He didn't wear this colorway in the introduction or the first episode

So the consensus is we’re not going to cop/boycott this shoe to make JB give us the proper release? As many has stated, this shoe is gimmicky and trash.

Reactions: ARK
I wanna say there’s a couple promo shots of him wearing the unlaced fire Vs and one of the unlaced grapes. Like not scenes from actual episodes just promo shots for advertising.

For example

0D9CBFDA-3513-440C-A89B-A9D882A407C5.jpeg

I think the guys at Jordan Brand NRG team are dudes with no style and who aren’t actually fans of Jordan influenced Pop culture. Best thing the NRG team has put out was the Gatorade lace locks on the Gatorade 6(which is just the Macklemore 6s).

I thought that the Gold Toe 1s and these Raptor 4s have been good NRG releases but you’re right they’ve had some misses and it’s definitely lost some of its clout.

I thought that the Gold Toe 1s and these Raptor 4s have been good NRG releases but you’re right they’ve had some misses and it’s definitely lost some of its clout.
I don’t give them credit for the gold toe design because is kinda just gold SBBs/Top 3. Raptor 4s are cool, but 4s are kindve the easiest jordan to design colorways for imo.

Gentry is no saint, and should not even be in the meetings for OG retros, but he churned out some great retro+. LS line>NRG IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom