Air Jordan 6 retro “Carmine” - Nike Air - February 13, 2021

And called them a classic! I thought I must be crazy and have a different definition of the word so I looked it up and nope I wasn’t the crazy one :lol:
You have a point there. The black OW5 is clearly the better of the two.

They could have been decent if they didn’t make the entire midsole a single color and picked a better NON-YELLOW color. But they didn’t. And the only reason they get the notoriety they do is because 1. They are limited and 2. The reputation they have from the insanely popular (and limited, yet again helping in the hype dept) Union 1s.

Your opinion clearly doesn’t matter in the case of the OW 5, since you obviously do not see their greatness, especially the Sail pair.

Everyone thinks making a great looking Nike collab is so easy, but then when they post their NIKE ID designs ... yikes.
🤣 True. But plenty of people also design great IDs, too. Plus, if someone was actually working on a collab with Nike, they’d have access to Nike designers and sample materials to have some guidance, and to make mock ups/samples to arrive at a solid final design. Part of the problem I’ve always had with Nike ID is, you don’t always have a good idea of what the colors and materials really look like. That’s why the handful I’ve made over the years, I always stick to fairly conventional colors and combinations. But sometimes I see what others have done, and I say, damn, that combo never would’ve occurred to me because it looks bad on the ID rendering machine on my computer screen.

🤣 True. But plenty of people also design great IDs, too. Plus, if someone was actually working on a collab with Nike, they’d have access to Nike designers and sample materials to have some guidance, and to make mock ups/samples to arrive at a solid final design. Part of the problem I’ve always had with Nike ID is, you don’t always have a good idea of what the colors and materials really look like. That’s why the handful I’ve made over the years, I always stick to fairly conventional colors and combinations. But sometimes I see what others have done, and I say, damn, that combo never would’ve occurred to me because it looks bad on the ID rendering machine on my computer screen.
Plus it's not like you have every color to choose from and on top of that you only get to do major panels on the sneaker most the time. I feel like someone could do a great pair if you could do any color that Nike has to offer, matietal and any panel or part of the shoe you want. Mine would more then likely be Black Durabuck or maybe some dope color Nubuck lol.

Of course. Some NT members create great designs. Some NT members probably should be hired by Nike. But the vast majority come up with unappealing designs, and some are downright horrible (subjective, I know). While having more options obviously could lead to better designs, having less options SHOULD theoretically make it more difficult to completely screw it up - and yet, some our fine members still do. Which is fine. But then they turn around and discredit all the great collabs Nike puts out. That’s what I dislike, the lack of respect. Oh well, not a big deal; just annoying.

Any way, back in the day Carmines were NOT popular, but now they’ll instantly sell out. So what the majority of people think in regards to Union 4s doesn’t really matter much to me. I think they’re great.

Plus it's not like you have every color to choose from and on top of that you only get to do major panels on the sneaker most the time. I feel like someone could do a great pair if you could do any color that Nike has to offer, matietal and any panel or part of the shoe you want. Mine would more then likely be Black Durabuck or maybe some dope color Nubuck lol.
This is it right here. It’s always way too restrictive with colors and materials and the fact that multiple panels are often tied together.

1610244251884.gif

Of course. Some NT members create great designs. Some NT members probably should be hired by Nike. But the vast majority come up with unappealing designs, and some are downright horrible (subjective, I know). While having more options obviously could lead to better designs, having less options SHOULD theoretically make it more difficult to completely screw it up - and yet, some our fine members still do. Which is fine. But then they turn around and discredit all the great collabs Nike puts out. That’s what I dislike, the lack of respect. Oh well, not a big deal; just annoying.

Any way, back in the day Carmines were NOT popular, but now they’ll instantly sell out. So what the majority of people think in regards to Union 4s doesn’t really matter much to me. I think they’re great.
Respect the opinion and like to the 4. But do you think those same Unions will get released 30 years from now with the hype and anticipation these Carmines have?

Carmines weren't popular back in the day? First I ever heard that in my life. :lol:
I'm not gonna confirm or deny that claim tho cuz I wasn't alive, guess dude older than I thought :lol:

Respect the opinion and like to the 4. But do you think those same Unions will get released 30 years from now with the hype and anticipation these Carmines have?

Who knows. I do know that Union 4s have already grown on people (including myself) from when initial pics leaked out. I suspect they will continue to grow on people and be appreciated more as time passes. Part of that was because the picture quality was poor. But another part is that when something (music / art / fashion) is very different, it’s jarring. We don’t like it at first. But some people learn to appreciate it and love it as that initial impression wears off.

I love Carmines. But I distinctly remember them not being very popular when they first released. They were looked at as clownish (too much red), and as a consolation prize for people who couldn’t get black infrareds or white infrareds. Over time perception has changed and now they are much more appreciated.

They certainly weren't as popular as Infareds. But I do remember those who had them REALLY liked them. It was a love it or hate it shoe. I personally always liked them, and cannot wait. They were the most bold Jordan to date when they came out.
I definitely remember a lot of people not liking them more then I remember liking them initially. It was one I remember taking time to grow on people. At least that's how I remember it. I've always loved them. Used to stare at that NBA Hoops card of him wearing them for what seemed like hours.

I have to disagree with you. Go to the SB Dunk thread and almost every dunk an NTer designed is as good as what Nike releases. And what makes it more impressive is that colors and materials are limited. Plus you can't do BTTYS-style designs. So, I stand by what I said, it's not hard to design good colorways if the shoe model is already a classic.

On the Union 4s, or any Jordan collabo, no way they get the love they get if they were GR's or Jimmy Jazz exlusives.

Who knows. I do know that Union 4s have already grown on people (including myself) from when initial pics leaked out. I suspect they will continue to grow on people and be appreciated more as time passes. Part of that was because the picture quality was poor. But another part is that when something (music / art / fashion) is very different, it’s jarring. We don’t like it at first. But some people learn to appreciate it and love it as that initial impression wears off.

I love Carmines. But I distinctly remember them not being very popular when they first released. They were looked at as clownish (too much red), and as a consolation prize for people who couldn’t get black infrareds or white infrareds. Over time perception has changed and now they are much more appreciated.
To me personally, I cant get with the Union. But I do agree, they are growing on several people. As far as Carmines go, they were probably 3rd in rank overall in 6s to the White and Black infras as far as popularity goes. But at the same time, these being released the following basketball season, I dont see them as a watered down "consolation" prize. These were radical and ahead of their time imo. When I first saw Carmines as a kid, they were too much for me. But as time and styles changed over the years, it made sense. Nostalgia gets me on these more than current style though. Im too boring for this heat. lol. I am not big with too much red.

After seeing those photos I'm in for a pair. Was gonna pass cause I wanted to double up on the Natural Gray 1s however I know for a fact those are gonna be excessively limited and I won't have a chance so I'm going for these instead. Might even get 2 like I did with the Infrareds in 2019 cause I'm a sucker for OG 6s honestly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom