Air jordan 7 Playoffs retro 2022 - 30th anniversary

Closer to the OGs in looks how? The 2012s are the worst retros of these to date :lol:
Talking about the suede/materials. I clearly said that.

And how are they the worst to date? The 2008?

The 2012s are closer in shape and material than the 2002.

The OGs have a slim shape with big wings

The 2002s have a fatter shape.

2012s are slimmed down.

Last edited:
2002 with the bulky shape

20200918_104459.jpg

This is not even remotely close to true lol. The 2012 pair was all black durabuck. None of the OG's were all durabuck.
You're not understanding what I'm saying. I said it was closer in look and feel.

Are you saying that the 2002 is closer in look and feel to the OGs?

BTW the OGs were Durabuck, the 2012 was Nubuck.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. I said it was closer in look and feel.

Are you saying that the 2002 is closer in look and feel to the OGs?

BTW the OGs were Durabuck, the 2012 was Nubuck.

Yes, I'm absolutely saying that. And I'm not gonna argue semantics with you on what the 2012 material was actually called. Yeah, I know technically "Durabuck" isn't produced any more. But in this universe, it's an easy catch all. Durabuck = smooth synthetic. Nubuck = synthetic with brushable nap (yes the brushable nap varies wildly from tiny to suede-like). All the OG's were split Durabuck-Nubuck, with the panels differing depending on where they were manufactured. My pair from the OG 92 drop was damn near identical to the 2002 retro material wise.

Yes, I'm absolutely saying that. And I'm not gonna argue semantics with you on what the 2012 material was actually called. Yeah, I know technically "Durabuck" isn't produced any more. But in this universe, it's an easy catch all. Durabuck = smooth synthetic. Nubuck = synthetic with brushable nap (yes the brushable nap varies wildly from tiny to suede-like). All the OG's were split Durabuck-Nubuck, with the panels differing depending on where they were manufactured. My pair from the OG 92 drop was damn near identical to the 2002 retro material wise.

Your contradicting yourself because the 2002 is all nubuck too. Which was your reason for the 2012 not being close.

They're both labeled black-dark charcoal, so I'm not going to say either is all-black.

2012s also feel smoother like OGs. I had two pairs of 2002s they felt thicker and had like a nap, like suede. All OGs I've seen felt smooth.

Your contradicting yourself because the 2002 is all nubuck too. Which was your reason for the 2012 not being close.

They're both labeled black-dark charcoal, so I'm not going to say either is all-black.

2012s also feel smoother like OGs. I had two pairs of 2002s they felt thicker and had like a nap, like suede. All OGs I've seen felt smooth.

Again, you're arguing semantics about the name of the material here. I'm not contradicting myself at all. There is absolutely a difference in the panels on the 2002, and there isn't one on the 2012. The 2012 are the same material/cut/texture, or however you want to spin it, across the entire shoe. To say that the upper of the 2012 pair isn't all black because the label says "black/dark charcoal"...well idk what to tell you there. Nike has also labeled shoes as "varsity royal/orange blaze" when the only orange on the shoe was the "Nike" stamped on the insole.

I thought it was pretty well known there were at least 3 different versions in 1992 depending on what factory they were made in and the timeframe? Not a single one of them looked like that 2012 retro, no matter what you want to call the material.

I was a freshman in high school when the OG's released. I dj'ed an event for my local shoe store the week the Playoff 7's came out, and that pair was my payment. My pair was the Taiwan pair, aka the pair that the 02 retro was based on. I lived through it. I'm not just making this up for s&g's, or basing this off of old pairs I've seen on ebay. I actually do know what I'm talking about here.

Are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about here?

I think you just can't read and comprehend what I'm saying, I said that the material of the 2012 looks and feels more like the OG, the smoothness of the Durabuck.

The 2002 "material" was different.

This video pretty much confirms what I'm saying. It compares an OG and a 2012.

I have to step in here to educate lol. The 2002 is the only retro that uses the same material combination of durabuck cage areas with nubuck panel inserts.

2012 are all one material which is durabuck, albeit Nike’s modern take on durabuck which was a trademark 90s brand that went defunct.

Yes, the 2002 marked the departure of the sleeker shape and went with that fuller look, but to say 2012 is closer to original couldn’t be further from the truth.

And yes it’s accurate that different factories made different 7s and I appreciate all the subtleties from pair to pair, but one thing that rings true with every one of the OG pairs is they had the dual upper materials where 2012 was all the one upper which IMO lacked the depth and the dynamic layering effect that OG and 2002 had.

16AA7144-3CBD-4C08-8BC6-7570F198AF4D.png

And here’s the closest to that angle I could find on my camera roll of one of my original pairs.

Identical? No, but 2002 was a very good retro with regards to materials and quality.

Either way, I’m not here to bicker, I just wish a retro that features both upper materials was coming down the line sooner than later.

F3A5637C-C4C7-41FB-9EC7-BA09035989A0.png

Perhaps this shot of my 2002 pair better demonstrates the original-esq appearance of the different upper materials and how they contrast.

Also of note, the 2002 featured that oh so crucial white edging around the material like the OG, and if I’m not mistaken the 2012 were just basically black everything.

I don’t know a ton about 2012 because they were just so far removed from the originals tvat I simply didn’t pay them any mind back then.

Agreed. The 1992 7s have never been matched, probably will never be matched.
Tbh none of the retros have come close. The 2002 might be the closest but I’ve always considered that a pretty bad retro.

Materials aside, the og 7s had a bulkier toe that was reinforced and kept its round molded shape really well. That’s one of the biggest issues with retro 7s. The 02 probably had the sleekest toe shape, which is why it always looked so wrong to me.

Are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about here?

I think you just can't read and comprehend what I'm saying, I said that the material of the 2012 looks and feels more like the OG, the smoothness of the Durabuck.

The 2002 "material" was different.

This video pretty much confirms what I'm saying. It compares an OG and a 2012.

I can absolutely comprehend what you're saying, and the fact that you keep saying that the 2012 retro looks more like the OG is wild to me lol. You are saying that the 2012 where the upper is one cut/texture looks and feels closer to an original that had different cuts/textures, than another retro that used remarkably similar cuts/textures to that same original.

That video shows an OG Taiwan with a brushable nubuck (or whatever you'd like to call it) on the toe, side panel, and ankle. The 2002 might be *slightly* more "hairy" in those parts, but you can absolutely see the difference in materials on the OG Taiwan pair in that video. When he picks it up to do the close-up, you can 100% see the brush marks on the panels that shows there was nap and that shoe wasn't all smooth. It's what creates the contrast between the panels, just like the 2002. There is zero contrast on that 2012 pair.

EDIT: 72and10 72and10 basically laid it out.

Man I really love the playoffs!! Owned the 2002 and freaking love them.

Skipped the DMP, over exaggeration of the contrast. And the 2012 was an okay retro, but man did I miss the two tone layers, that was easily identified by the white/grey edges.

It what would’ve made the 2019 infrared a super perfect retro!

JB messed up by not giving us a proper 30th anniversary for the 7s

Back
Top Bottom