Albert Pujols And The Race to 73

To say Albert is juicing is very unfair, he's never had a season with more than 49 homeruns. I to this day still cannot believe how ridiculous it was to hit 60 let alone 73 (
tired.gif
 towards the steroid era). At best, throughout the history of baseball 45-50 was elite and it is elite again. Pujols will not hit 73, Pujols will not hit 60, he will barely break 50 HR's because at this present moment I believe baseball to be clean. Baseball records throughout the 88-05 should not be taken in

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

To say Albert is juicing is very unfair, he's never had a season with more than 49 homeruns. I to this day still cannot believe how ridiculous it was to hit 60 let alone 73 (
tired.gif
 towards the steroid era). At best, throughout the history of baseball 45-50 was elite and it is elite again. Pujols will not hit 73, Pujols will not hit 60, he will barely break 50 HR's because at this present moment I believe baseball to be clean. Baseball records throughout the 88-05 should not be taken in
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by hugebird

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

tired.gif
laugh.gif

I didn't think Bud Selig even knew how to use a computer. Seriously... how can you make such a statement when your sig is "New York Yankees". No team has a richer steroid history than the Yankees, not even the Texas Rangers. The list of Yankees confirmed to have used steroids is absurdly long. And how can baseball be clean if they don't test for HGH?

But back to Pujols, he has more of line drive swing, so he wouldn't have suspicious HR totals if he was using PEDs. He didn't an insane number of pull HRs. I wonder if anyone has ever hit as many homers to the leftmost third of the outfield.

Pujols_Albert_2009_scatter.jpg

If Pujols started swinging for the fences more (sacrificing his .330 average and low strikeout rate), you he would put up "steroid" HR numbers. You can't say there's no reason to suspect Pujols has never used PEDs. Losing you hair is a common side effect of PED use. And is face certainly looks a his face is a lot wider now than when he was a rookie.

2001-etopps-pujols.jpg
22395973E.jpg

He's probably just been drinking a lot of milk.

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
muscfit_may07cover.jpg
ex_mark_mcgwire_milk_ad.jpg

No need to argue with Juan Baller, he stays hating on Albert.  
laugh.gif
  @ PEDS being the cause of Pujols hair loss. It's called genetics and going bald runs in his family. Nobody knows for sure who has or hasn't used unless they test positive. I do realize that most people have become cynics due to the rampant steroid use in the sport though. 

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Before about 1:10 today, I had it in my mind that Matt Kemp would dethrone Pujols as National League MVP. Then, he hit a 420 foot bomb into wildKYcat's lap and reality set back in.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

No need to argue with Juan Baller, he stays hating on Albert.  
laugh.gif
  @ PEDS being the cause of Pujols hair loss. It's called genetics and going bald runs in his family. Nobody knows for sure who has or hasn't used unless they test positive. I do realize that most people have become cynics due to the rampant steroid use in the sport though. 

I'm not a Pujols hater. In fact, I think Pujols and Bonds are the best hitters since Ted Williams, Stan Musial, and Mickey Mantle. But it's naive to blindly assume Pujols has never used PEDs. It would be nice if that's true, but it seems highly unlikely. If you only consider players who are definitely clean, then Frank Thomas is the best hitter from the steroid era. It's a shame people don't realize how great a hitter the Big Hurt was. And I might be in the minority of this... but if McGwire (and Sosa) weren't taking money out of Bonds pocket with their PED-inflated numbers of 1997-99, I tend to think Bonds wouldn't have started using PEDs. As a skinny outfielder, he was posting huge on-base + slugging percentages and winning multiple MVPs.

Until he tests positive I just don't care... And I'll take that stance with everybody in baseball because it ain't fair to cast the steroid net over everybody when we just don't know...

JuanBaller is right to some extent though.. Albert's HR power has historically been dead-pull power, and that doesn't do him any favors in chasing 73...

The fact that no one barely gets over 50+ HR's anymore leads me to believe that the number of baseball players who are using has decreased significantly. The MLB is not averaging the type of numbers it did 10 years ago, not even close. As for the kid saying that the Yankees were one of the main teams using steroids, very true, but so was the whole league, everyone played with that same advantage.

Back
Top Bottom