All Things Sports Media Thread!!

I worked for 2 cable providers ESPN charges companies ridiculous prices for programming. They get that 3 to 5 bucks whether you ever watch the channel or not. With all the cord cutting they're getting hit more than anyone. HBO is a la carte so their subscribers are prone tat actually watch them, that's why they don't care and launched their own app. If ESPN or fox did the same they would get nowhere near the same amount of money they get now.

I worked for 2 cable providers ESPN charges companies ridiculous prices for programming. They get that 3 to 5 bucks whether you ever watch the channel or not. With all the cord cutting they're getting hit more than anyone. HBO is a la carte so their subscribers are prone tat actually watch them, that's why they don't care and launched their own app. If ESPN or fox did the same they would get nowhere near the same amount of money they get now.
Yup. It's easily the biggest issue and everything trickles down from there. The leagues having their own app for their channels and showing games on there is huge. Will basically take ESPN out the game.

Its part of the game but man, there are some long time ESPN vets on that got chopped.

I don't watch ESPN like that anymore but everyone knows Ed Werder, Jayson Stark, etc..., gotta feel for their families. 

That severance check should be niceeeee tho  
smokin.gif

Wonder how much strategy there is in the order of these layoffs happening?

Did they labor over what would cause the least amount of outrage socially, racially or sheer popularity of an employee?

The whole pay tv business model is archaic. Technology has given the consumer an advantage now they have to regroup and improve product. It always boils down to supply and demand. If ESPN had their own app it would kill a lot of cable providers specifically those that cater to businesses. You think your bill is high you do tv want to know how much bars pay for sunday ticket or a ppv event.

Did they labor over what would cause the least amount of outrage socially, racially or sheer popularity of an employee?

I'm sure all of those factors were considered

It's layoffs.  The strategy is saving money.  They want to keep people who bring $$ in without having large contracts.  I don't think "outrage" has anything to do with it.

Given their business model I wonder if these layoffs will be very effective in the long run. The New York Times ran an article about how the combination of people cutting the cord and the huge TV deals ESPN has paid to the NFL, NBA and college football is giving them little flexibility on measures they can take to turn things around.

Given their business model I wonder if these layoffs will be very effective in the long run. The New York Times ran an article about how the combination of people cutting the cord and the huge TV deals ESPN has paid to the NFL, NBA and college football is giving them little flexibility on measures they can take to turn things around.
They need to be a much leaner operation, that's for sure.  A lot of these hires were made ~10 years ago when they were at their peak trying to be the biggest game in town in every way.  But why do you need your own beat reporters when you can source stories from local papers, for example?  Or you can interview the beat reporter on SC rather than him being your own employee?

Who knows if it all will work though.

They need to be a much leaner operation, that's for sure.  A lot of these hires were made ~10 years ago when they were at their peak trying to be the biggest game in town in every way.  But why do you need your own beat reporters when you can source stories from local papers, for example?  Or you can interview the beat reporter on SC rather than him being your own employee?

I agree that they need to be leaner. They might be better off cutting some of the big contract folks as well and use cheaper and new talent for their existing programming.

I've become a big fan of the True Hoop pod, so seeing Ethan go sucks. Justin Verrier got the ax too.

The whole pay tv business model is archaic. Technology has given the consumer an advantage now they have to regroup and improve product. It always boils down to supply and demand. If ESPN had their own app it would kill a lot of cable providers specifically those that cater to businesses. You think your bill is high you do tv want to know how much bars pay for sunday ticket or a ppv event.
Bars have to pay according to their maximum capacity, right?

This is true. They never needed all of these people in the first place. Just sucks to see people get fired from anything.

This is true. They never needed all of these people in the first place. Just sucks to see people get fired from anything.
Yeah I agree I mean it's pretty sad.  It doesn't help that they're not based in a major city.  A lot of people moved their lives to Bristol, CT for jobs there.

Back
Top Bottom