American Gangster > Any Kanye Album

Na op your fooling graduation and his first cd trumps AG ..but AG is one hell of a cd... its almost skipless to me

AG is a damn good album and I don't think the OP's statement is crazy. AG has more replay for me than most Ye' albums.

Agreed. I still have a hard time even considering Kanye a "rapper" but he has crazy productions and as a whole puts out good music (no pun). No doubt imo AG is a top five Jay album. I thought it was classic after the first few listens. I don't know how Kingdom Come came up in the discussion lol but no one is saying Jay is perfect. If you rap long enough you're bound to put out a bad and/or mediocre album.

Last edited:
what's the best track off American Gangster? I only heard Roc Boy, Sucess, Blue Magic. Is it that good?

Kanye first 2 albums were ill as hell

what's the best track off American Gangster? I only heard Roc Boy, Sucess, Blue Magic. Is it that good?

Kanye first 2 albums were ill as hell
I think Fallin is the best song on the album, but if I had to pick a few standout tracks it would be Fallin, American Dreamining, Party Life, No Hook, and Say Hello

This thread is all over the place. :lol:

Anyway...

Kingdom Come is trash. Then and now. The Prelude was dope, the title track was hard and Lost Ones other than that I can't mess with it. But American Gangster is classic IMO from beginning to end. The lyrics, the production and the story.... Everything just flowed perfect. It's damn near flawless other than Wayne's terrible verse on Hello Brooklyn. I think it's Jay's 3rd best album after Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt.

Jay was in his zone lyrically on American Gangster :pimp: :smh: :pimp:

I would still take Late Registration over it though.

Last edited:
Im a big fan of AG... I personally think its a top 5 Jay album behind RD, BP, TBA, & Vol. 1. Overall, I think the album flows real nice... The smooth feel it gives off with all the soul samples is great, especially the Marvin Gaye sample of Soon I'll Be Loving You Again on American Dreamin'.

Lyrically the album delivered too, whether story telling on Pray, the double entendre of I Know, & then just classic Jay lines such as Survive the droughts, i wish you well. Great album & from start ( the intro with the AG sound bites & that transition to Pray :wow: ) to finish I can play every track (except for Hello Brooklyn) :lol:

With all that being said, I don't think this album tops CD or LR. Ye's production was at his best on these two albums (from my preference at least). I loved the sound he created with these 2 projects. Lyrically he was at his best during this time too... CD had Never Let Me Down, Through The Wire, Family Business, Last Call, All Falls Down, etc. LR he was at his best lyrically with tracks like Heard Em Say, Crack Music, Roses, etc.

Im on the fence with Graduation... It was a great project, but in comparison, I think AG & Graduation are pretty close. Don't know if I could put one over the other :nerd:

How was ignorant shhh wack?
in the same way whatever you think is wack is
preference, preference, preference

wow ag trash? I pray to god yall ****** was born in the 90s
when I judge an album as a whole I use a simple method: fractions! songs I like/total songs. For me AG was 6/15 ...less than 50% man. Joint was wack to me.
But I mess w/ Reasonable Doubt heavy even though I was a baby when it released and had to eventually mail Jay-Z personally to get a copy to listen to since I was such a big fan and couldn't find copies of any of his old cds ANYWHERE! :smh:

I use that same criteria for albums. 6 out of 15? Really now. Name the 6

NT music is BAD these day. BAD

Co-signing this...

+

"American Gangster" was a damn classic! Masterpiece! The production is on par with any of Hov's projects. Actually, besides "Reasonable Doubt" & "The Black Album" this probably comes in 3rd place for best production.

However, Kanye's albums definitely supersede "American Gangster". Me and OP do not see eye to eye..

no there's no way in hell ignorant **** is wack...every version of that song is classic..you pull up playing ignorant **** you gots to be the man

i mean come on do you hear this dude

[VIDEO]

OG version is better tho[/VIDEO]

Last edited:
All of that. A phenomenal record.

A timeless record. I never get tired of listening to it.

Think about how many songs you can really say that about.....

Any Kanye album???? Ummmm, no. It's not better than LR nor CD. Definitely better than the rest of his stuff though, including MBDTF & WTT. If those awful Hello Brooklyn & Blue Magic songs were taken off, the album would be even better.

Havnt listened to AG in awhile but Fallin is probably the only song that I liked. Roc boys was cool too.

AG is so overrated on here.

It is nowhere near his top 3 albums and its laughable to say it is better than CD or LR.

I completely agree and i felt like he took advantage of the movie to make this album. I mean it was good compared to his another stuff. A lot of Jay-Z Albums have tons of filler but AG wasn't trash though. Back to the original question it is not better then CD for sure and i have to go back and listen to LR but i don't feel like its better than that either.

One of the best Neptunes productions, Hov with the double entendre throughout the song :smh::pimp:
yall fools done lost it. Neptunes produced britney songs that were better than this. snarf aint even in the bottom 5 of hot neptune tracks.

and for the record im an 80s baby. the cd felt a little rushed like someone said. I been a jayz stan since day one. Cant no body tell me ether was better than superugly. jayz said condoms on the baby seat son, BA*clap*BY*clap*SEAT*clap*.
Taking Jay-z's discography into consideration. its trash. Possibly bottom 3. TBP2 being the most obvious lowest.
AG a classic..... heelllllllll no. RD? Thats a classic. The Blueprint? Thats a classic. there is literally no debating that. i would go on to say the life and times were classics too but those are kinda debatable. nah, fudge it, those are CLASSICS! AG? nah, no replay value whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom