Any doctors here??

there is always a need for primary care docs. the demand is much greater than the supply. just because a specialty is less competitive doesn't mean it's less important.

there is always a need for primary care docs. the demand is much greater than the supply. just because a specialty is less competitive doesn't mean it's less important.

Originally Posted by Three00ZeeX

Originally Posted by Cubinican

Ive been thinking about ER medicine since I first volunteered in the ER when I was 14. http://[b][/b]Why did you choose emergency medicine?
How are the compensation and benefits?
Do ER doctors usually wear scrubs?
i still remember the day in 1st year i told a friend "i have no idea what i want to do, but definitely wont do ER" lol.... i went thru all my 3rd year rotations liking parts of each field, but not enough to make a career out of any one of them. ER was my last rotation and i was hoping i would like it otherwise i was probably going to do a transitional year trying to figure it out.
i love the fact i get to see all sort of different cases(except OBGYN
sick.gif
) and get to do procedures.. again, lifestyle is a big part of it to... i never take work home with me, never on call, nobody is going to page me in the middle of the night about a patient, i know my schedule well in advance.
compensation around here, chicago and suburbs ranges from $110 to $140ish per hour as far as when ive heard from other residents/attendings. the further you get from the big cities the higher the pay. a friend of mine just got a job outside kenosha wisconsin, $300,000/year plus bonuses for 12 12 hour shifts a month. im only a second year so havent really started looking at jobs yet.
and ya most ER docs wear scrubs... i have one attending doc who wears a dress shirt and bowtie
laugh.gif

Three00Z what hospital are  you at in chi if you dont mind saying.

Originally Posted by Three00ZeeX

Ive been thinking about ER medicine since I first volunteered in the ER when I was 14. http://[b][/b]Why did you choose emergency medicine?
How are the compensation and benefits?
Do ER doctors usually wear scrubs?
i still remember the day in 1st year i told a friend "i have no idea what i want to do, but definitely wont do ER" lol.... i went thru all my 3rd year rotations liking parts of each field, but not enough to make a career out of any one of them. ER was my last rotation and i was hoping i would like it otherwise i was probably going to do a transitional year trying to figure it out.
i love the fact i get to see all sort of different cases(except OBGYN
sick.gif
) and get to do procedures.. again, lifestyle is a big part of it to... i never take work home with me, never on call, nobody is going to page me in the middle of the night about a patient, i know my schedule well in advance.
compensation around here, chicago and suburbs ranges from $110 to $140ish per hour as far as when ive heard from other residents/attendings. the further you get from the big cities the higher the pay. a friend of mine just got a job outside kenosha wisconsin, $300,000/year plus bonuses for 12 12 hour shifts a month. im only a second year so havent really started looking at jobs yet.
and ya most ER docs wear scrubs... i have one attending doc who wears a dress shirt and bowtie
laugh.gif

Three00Z what hospital are  you at in chi if you dont mind saying.

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Originally Posted by SlimK4

Wow everyone here is going for the Uber competitive specialities......am I wrong for going the Primary care path???

Currently studying for CK right now.....

Go for what you want to do and whats the right fit.

Also as Three00Z said early for steps use USMLEWORLD you cant go wrong. In fact thats what i used for 90% + of my studying for CK and pretty much all i used for Step 3
Thanks for the advice....I just finished up kaplan qbank and i thought it was crap....on to the real deal (USMLEWORLD) now...
I remember saying this before last year that us NT med folks should unite 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Originally Posted by SlimK4

Wow everyone here is going for the Uber competitive specialities......am I wrong for going the Primary care path???

Currently studying for CK right now.....

Go for what you want to do and whats the right fit.

Also as Three00Z said early for steps use USMLEWORLD you cant go wrong. In fact thats what i used for 90% + of my studying for CK and pretty much all i used for Step 3
Thanks for the advice....I just finished up kaplan qbank and i thought it was crap....on to the real deal (USMLEWORLD) now...
I remember saying this before last year that us NT med folks should unite 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

To any of the doctors or on here or deep into med school with all the studying and other BS, if you had to do it all over again would you?
Depends on the day 
laugh.gif
real talk. 98% of the time i'm thinking what the hell did i get myself into.
frown.gif
I expected the worst, but it wasnt enough. my parents (both physicians) actually discouraged me at first before i really decided that i want to do it.
laugh.gif
and whoever said that 1 week of medschool is 1 semester of college isnt lying at all. you get amazed sometimes at how much information you've been through. it's tough but i do enjoy what i'm doing. but what do i know, i'm only starting (on my first year)

want to get into dermatology and take over all my mom's patients
laugh.gif
will be easier for me once i'm done as the clientele is already there

Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

To any of the doctors or on here or deep into med school with all the studying and other BS, if you had to do it all over again would you?
Depends on the day 
laugh.gif
real talk. 98% of the time i'm thinking what the hell did i get myself into.
frown.gif
I expected the worst, but it wasnt enough. my parents (both physicians) actually discouraged me at first before i really decided that i want to do it.
laugh.gif
and whoever said that 1 week of medschool is 1 semester of college isnt lying at all. you get amazed sometimes at how much information you've been through. it's tough but i do enjoy what i'm doing. but what do i know, i'm only starting (on my first year)

want to get into dermatology and take over all my mom's patients
laugh.gif
will be easier for me once i'm done as the clientele is already there

Been gone for a while,I think im going to stick to psychology.Seems like I have a gift for helping people out with their problems so maybe i should stick to that route.
I have almost all the pre-reqs done to go to medical school I just wanted a little more info which you gave,thanks.

Been gone for a while,I think im going to stick to psychology.Seems like I have a gift for helping people out with their problems so maybe i should stick to that route.
I have almost all the pre-reqs done to go to medical school I just wanted a little more info which you gave,thanks.

how much do first and second year grades matter in med school? also how did you guys deal with burn out? ya boy here is strugglin at the end of this semester, my brain is fried!

how much do first and second year grades matter in med school? also how did you guys deal with burn out? ya boy here is strugglin at the end of this semester, my brain is fried!

whatever you do, dont do it just for the money, at the end the monetary rewards are great, but the road there will test your ego, brains and heart every step of the way, first getting through your pre-med, then getting into med school, residency, fellowship, etc etc....nurses will *$$% on you, i will *$$% on you, other physicians will *$$% on you, family members of the sick will definately *$$% on you, hell even housekeeping will *$$% on you....I work in a teaching hospital, just started about 4 months ago and have never worked in an institution where part of your team is made up 70% of first year residents, poor guys younger than me getting treated like crap...i always thought so highly of those MD initals till now...good luck though, just make sure is something you love and not something you are just pulling out of your @*$ because of all these shows on TV...the climb to the top is not luxurious at all.

whatever you do, dont do it just for the money, at the end the monetary rewards are great, but the road there will test your ego, brains and heart every step of the way, first getting through your pre-med, then getting into med school, residency, fellowship, etc etc....nurses will *$$% on you, i will *$$% on you, other physicians will *$$% on you, family members of the sick will definately *$$% on you, hell even housekeeping will *$$% on you....I work in a teaching hospital, just started about 4 months ago and have never worked in an institution where part of your team is made up 70% of first year residents, poor guys younger than me getting treated like crap...i always thought so highly of those MD initals till now...good luck though, just make sure is something you love and not something you are just pulling out of your @*$ because of all these shows on TV...the climb to the top is not luxurious at all.

Just finished my first semester. I can't lie, this is easier than undergraduate so needless to say it's a lot different from what everyone told me (and continues to tell me). I will say this though....it helps that I am disciplined, determined, have crazy will power, and experienced academic failures in college. With that said, my med grades are killing my undergraduate grades. If this is what you "think" you want to do be prepared to work hard, find an outlet that helps you relieve stress, and set goals for yourself. It's not about competing with classmates. Do well for you and continue to challenge yourself.

Just finished my first semester. I can't lie, this is easier than undergraduate so needless to say it's a lot different from what everyone told me (and continues to tell me). I will say this though....it helps that I am disciplined, determined, have crazy will power, and experienced academic failures in college. With that said, my med grades are killing my undergraduate grades. If this is what you "think" you want to do be prepared to work hard, find an outlet that helps you relieve stress, and set goals for yourself. It's not about competing with classmates. Do well for you and continue to challenge yourself.

Originally Posted by IchewU

step 1>>clinical grades>preclininal grades

anyho i'm starting hardcore step 1 studying starting in jan....any advice on that from anyone who has taken it would be appreciated

burnout is very very real
sick.gif
, i'm so exhausted
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by IchewU

step 1>>clinical grades>preclininal grades

anyho i'm starting hardcore step 1 studying starting in jan....any advice on that from anyone who has taken it would be appreciated

burnout is very very real
sick.gif
, i'm so exhausted
30t6p3b.gif

starting in january you will be WAY ahead of the game. most people limit their studying to the 4-5 weeks they have off between 2nd and 3rd year.

starting in january you will be WAY ahead of the game. most people limit their studying to the 4-5 weeks they have off between 2nd and 3rd year.

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

yea i got 3 qbanks to work with...yea i know its overkill. i plan on just going through 50-100 qs a day and annotating points in first aid.

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

yea i got 3 qbanks to work with...yea i know its overkill. i plan on just going through 50-100 qs a day and annotating points in first aid.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

whatever you do, dont do it just for the money, at the end the monetary rewards are great, but the road there will test your ego, brains and heart every step of the way, first getting through your pre-med, then getting into med school, residency, fellowship, etc etc....nurses will *$$% on you, i will *$$% on you, other physicians will *$$% on you, family members of the sick will definately *$$% on you, hell even housekeeping will *$$% on you....I work in a teaching hospital, just started about 4 months ago and have never worked in an institution where part of your team is made up 70% of first year residents, poor guys younger than me getting treated like crap...i always thought so highly of those MD initals till now...good luck though, just make sure is something you love and not something you are just pulling out of your @*$ [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]because of all these shows on TV.[/color]..the climb to the top is not luxurious at all.

This thread has been an interesting read.

I dont want to become a doctor or take interest in medicine, but it sounds like a super competitive industry where you work out of your @#! to get to where you want.  The grinding sounds ridiculous but the reward sounds amazing.

As shallow and absurd as it sounds, the sentimental parts of Scrubs kind of caught my attention
ohwell.gif
- but of course this does not reflect reality.

Just popping in to say this was cool to read.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

whatever you do, dont do it just for the money, at the end the monetary rewards are great, but the road there will test your ego, brains and heart every step of the way, first getting through your pre-med, then getting into med school, residency, fellowship, etc etc....nurses will *$$% on you, i will *$$% on you, other physicians will *$$% on you, family members of the sick will definately *$$% on you, hell even housekeeping will *$$% on you....I work in a teaching hospital, just started about 4 months ago and have never worked in an institution where part of your team is made up 70% of first year residents, poor guys younger than me getting treated like crap...i always thought so highly of those MD initals till now...good luck though, just make sure is something you love and not something you are just pulling out of your @*$ [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]because of all these shows on TV.[/color]..the climb to the top is not luxurious at all.

This thread has been an interesting read.

I dont want to become a doctor or take interest in medicine, but it sounds like a super competitive industry where you work out of your @#! to get to where you want.  The grinding sounds ridiculous but the reward sounds amazing.

As shallow and absurd as it sounds, the sentimental parts of Scrubs kind of caught my attention
ohwell.gif
- but of course this does not reflect reality.

Just popping in to say this was cool to read.

Back
Top Bottom