Anyone completely stop drinking?

^ no issues other than that's above the recommended units of alcohol and those numbers are usually pretty conservative as they cause a fuss if they make them too low. You're stacking up health problems in the future. It's true that you can't outexercise a bad diet and other bad habits so she seems right to suggest cutting back. No-one is suggesting cutting alcohol completely (there is some evidence that alcohol in moderation can actually be beneficial - but that gets mixed up in whether it's the alcohol or other things in red wine) but having a couple of days without drinking or just having one rather than 3 would certainly be beneficial.

yea per day :lol: im not in here to quit. But to see how my drinking habits stacks up to everyone else. But everyone in this thread is almost stating the same thing about how they drink alot but not stating what they are drinking and how much a day. There were a few who did tho.

But i will for now on be cutting back. I really dont see the effect its having on me by drinking beer i still get up and do what i need to do and its not ruining my life. Now i have met people who done had DUI's, flipped they cars driving home from a bar, to some who beat they wives/GF's up and cant even remember.

But me and my beer dont hurt no one we just fall asleep :lol:

But im getting concerned because now my wife is starting to complain. :smh:

All I'm saying is that maybe you're able to handle it and show self control, but your body is going to eventually feel the effects of that much drinking. You may not feel that 1-3 is that much, but I drink that many per year. My reasoning for not drinking is only because of what I saw my dad go through and the fact that I don't need to drink and it doesn't benefit me in any way. I realize that everyone has their own reasons and view points towards drinking though.

It may not be right now bro, but drinking will catch up to you.

Let's see...

You drink at home (safe)

You work out (keeping in shape)

Work everyday on time (responsible)

You don't black out (control)

People have their own ways of dealing with the day to day stress of 'life' whether it be playing video games, trees, pick up ball, MMA/Boxing, or in your case alcohol. As long as you're taking care of business... I do not see any issues at all. The wifey needs to chill.

exactly my point. But there has been times where i had a couple of beers and she she had a hard time waking me up after work and having a few she keeps throwing at me...

But im handling everything like an adult. I dont come to work drunk from the night before or none of that. Never lost a job in my life due to performance. Just recently got promoted.

We really havent had the talk about my drinking but she has been hinting at it more and more lately. I kind of think she wants to test me to see whats more important. Her saying cut back or me continue how i am.

My Philosophy:

If you don't see a problem, then you don't have a problem

People can't tell you what your problems or vices should be, you have to see that for yourself.

toss in the word wife though, and well it gets complicated :lol:

My Philosophy:

I feel exactly the opposite man. But to each their own. We all have different experiences and handle things differently.

Hopefully everyone that wants to stop does and those that handle it well have a long and healthy life in here :pimp:

Last edited:
^ no issues other than that's above the recommended units of alcohol and those numbers are usually pretty conservative as they cause a fuss if they make them too low. You're stacking up health problems in the future. It's true that you can't outexercise a bad diet and other bad habits so she seems right to suggest cutting back. No-one is suggesting cutting alcohol completely (there is some evidence that alcohol in moderation can actually be beneficial - but that gets mixed up in whether it's the alcohol or other things in red wine) but having a couple of days without drinking or just having one rather than 3 would certainly be beneficial.

this is the goal maybe 1 a day or none and i can drink whatever on the weekends is going to be my ultimatum.

All I'm saying is that maybe you're able to handle it and show self control, but your body is going to eventually feel the effects of that much drinking. You may not feel that 1-3 is that much, but I drink that many per year. My reasoning for not drinking is only because of what I saw my dad go through and the fact that I don't need to drink and it doesn't benefit me in any way. I realize that everyone has their own reasons and view points towards drinking though.

It may not be right now bro, but drinking will catch up to you.

yea i know its going to catch up just like smoking bud and all the other cancerous things we put in our body. At the end of the day we all gon die fam why not go out on your terms?

My Philosophy:

People can't tell you what your problems or vices should be, you have to see that for yourself.

toss in the word wife though, and well it gets complicated :lol:

i really dont see a problem. Thats why im coming in here seeing how my habits stack up against others. I was young once and used to party hard back in the days. But now that im older i gave up hard liqour for social settings/parties. If im chillin in the house im drinking beer.

But with this coming from my wife i know this is going to be a battle to prove i aint got a problem. Maybe a slight one but i enjoy my beer.

exactly my point. But there has been times where i had a couple of beers and she she had a hard time waking me up after work and having a few she keeps throwing at me...

But im handling everything like an adult. I dont come to work drunk from the night before or none of that. Never lost a job in my life due to performance. Just recently got promoted.

We really havent had the talk about my drinking but she has been hinting at it more and more lately. I kind of think she wants to test me to see whats more important. Her saying cut back or me continue how i am.

Like I said... don't see the problem with how you're doing things, but I am more understanding to issues like yours because I have been in those relationships. Annoying as hell dealing with someone nagging you on the daily on something that you have full control over.

Cut alcohol out for a couple weeks.. be in a pissed off mood for those two weeks, and she'll be buying you the 12 pack by the 3rd week. :lol:

yea i know its going to catch up just like smoking bud and all the other cancerous things we put in our body. At the end of the day we all gon die fam why not go out on your terms?

Longevity. Not having to be put in the hospital for something you had control and a choice over. Not putting your wife/kids/family through you being in the hospital. Being healthy for the back end of your life. Not having arguments with your wife trying to prove you don't have a problem.

I've lived through these stories; I've heard these lines before. None of it ever plays out like you want it to.

There's no problem enjoying a good beer. But when it starts to become something that your loved ones bring up, listen to what they're saying and see if there's a compromise that can be made.

My main point for even replying in here is that I've seen what goes down on the back end of things and trying to bring awareness to the fact that if you make certain choices today, it'll make things easier for you later on in life.

John Wick John Wick , sounds like you have everything under control. I envy people like you because for people like me, it never stops at 3 beers.

dhart48 dhart48 I feel so good right now since I haven't been getting drunk on the weekends. Clear mind, clear conscious. I really don't want to go back to what I had been doing throughout college and law school. I'm going to try to make this permanent and make a concerted effort to cut alcohol out of my life altogether.

^^^ Keep up the good work! It's hard but you can do it man! and you'll be glad you did!

How's everyone doing?
I just got 10 months a week ago and I find myself emotionally in the same exact place I was leading up to my relapse last year(in sept) I'm utilizing a lot more tools than I was before and powering through and just stepping up and not trying to ***** about the little things. It's hard but I always get think about where the last time I drank took me. To make matters more challenging my wife will be gone during the week for a couple of days so I'm already working on a plan to do that will keep me busy as well as take medication that deal with cravings.

It's really strange that I'm feeling the same way I was around this time and dealing with those issues in a different way.
Hoping everyone else is doing whatever it is they need to do

Trying. Only had 2 beers the past month.
Also trying to cut out meat. Kind of semi vegetarian. Flirting with vegan. I feel good and my wallet is good. Lost a lot of bodyfat.

My logic is, its also practice to be interesting without alcohol. And better for your health anyway.

Might attend a buddies wedding next month and I'm in between not drinking or just straight up blacking out. Might be the last time in awhile that all my close friends are together.

But I know I'll regret it if I drink. I'm pretty sure everyone is going to drink like there's no tomorrow. Decisions.

Trying. Only had 2 beers the past month.
Also trying to cut out meat. Kind of semi vegetarian. Flirting with vegan. I feel good and my wallet is good. Lost a lot of bodyfat.

My logic is, its also practice to be interesting without alcohol. And better for your health anyway.

Went vegan a week ago. I love it! I'm also doing it temporarily so there's not much pressure. I plan on eating meat whenever I travel in oct(South Carolina) and dec(Paris) with the december trip so close to after thanksgiving(the 27th i believe) I didn't want to go from pigging out that day to basically 2 weeks of doing that abroad. I want to lose weight and hopefully keep it off while I'm overseas by walking and biking it everywhere(yeah I know it'll rain) My wife has lost 10 lbs just off the one week of being vegan, it's crazy.

Might attend a buddies wedding next month and I'm in between not drinking or just straight up blacking out. Might be the last time in awhile that all my close friends are together.

But I know I'll regret it if I drink. I'm pretty sure everyone is going to drink like there's no tomorrow. Decisions.

You have anyone that knows about you trying to be sober? Might bring them as a plus one to help you out. That's gonna be tough and if you are successful(I hope so man) you may be holding in some resentments seeing your friends like that and def feeling left out because you didn't participate, which could lead to drinking further down the line. I'm assuming people won't be sloshed until the reception, you could make an exit then once the liquor starts flowing.

I went to a wedding with my wife a few weeks ago and the reception was pretty much free bottles everywhere and I mean everyone was drinking. I got offered shots so many times and seeing all ages drink including the elders made me so jealous.
:lol: told my wife 5 minutes after arriving I was ready to go. We stayed for 90 minutes and I had fun, but the initial 20 mins I was on edge

Kind of want to see what I decide to do faced with a free bar and friends. I don't think I will be jealous or anything if I don't drink and they do.

Since I cut out alcohol I'm seeing myself eat more. Unhealthy too. Trying to stay at a certain weight and it's hard. Feel like my urge to drink has turned into an urge to pigout. Maybe it's just me imagining things.

Bigger man than me, I see my weakness, I'm running the other way. I know what the outcome is and it isn't good, it's horrible actually. Maybe not necessarily jealous, but you could be feeling left out. If you do plan on staying sober and everyone else is getting drunk, seeing them in that state could make you want to join them. I don't even hang out with people if I know I'm gonna be one of the few people sober, I just don't see the point as me having any type of coherent convo with them that they'll remember will be forgotten. On that fact alone it's annoying.
I'm just wondering what you gain from testing yourself?? Free bar and old friends and last time together, real talk who isn't going to drink? Those are top reasons to drink

You're right. But honestly I just don't like drinking anymore. Haven't really tested myself like this though. Like I said I'm trying to stay, look, and feel healthy. Drinking heavily isn't doing that for me. Rather wake up the next morning for a run then curing a hangover. Actually hangovers are the main reason why I think I've stayed sober for so long.

I hope to give it up one day. When I quit weed after undergrad I doubled down on drinking. Not to mention it's the cornerstone of social gatherings, my banker and lawyer friends pretty much expect everyone to bring a bottle when we link up at one of the houses.

Kind of want to see what I decide to do faced with a free bar and friends. I don't think I will be jealous or anything if I don't drink and they do.

Since I cut out alcohol I'm seeing myself eat more. Unhealthy too. Trying to stay at a certain weight and it's hard. Feel like my urge to drink has turned into an urge to pigout. Maybe it's just me imagining things.
Pigging out won't allow you to see them tom skinny jeans gains.

Hate it but I can't turn away from it. I was a few months completely sober but my world feels like it's imploding and drinking keeps me sane.

I quit drinking for 1 month straight February to March 2017 thanks to thc/cbd but drinking is more fun to me than smoking. I like smoking too but it doesn't get me faded like drinking.

I've been trying lately; do pretty good during the week but weekends definitely kills me; I just wish to stay at home all day and not go out and participate in going out
what do yal do on the weekend to keep you good? All my boys drink and family ; so just want to stay away; maybe hitting the gym at night and going to sleep might help

I went from binge drinking during my clubbing days to social drinking every weekend to drinking once or twice a month, tops. Now, my desire for drinking is null at this point.

Back
Top Bottom