Anyone completely stop drinking?

Question,

Would having one or two drinks count as a fail? Or is getting drunk the actual fail?

Yupp. Only because im not a beer guy (empty calories and it gets me bloated)

And alcohol doesn't mix with the gym life

There have been days where I've drank 1 or two and stopped I feel proud that I stopped those days, But something clicks in my head and I'm on full go mode sometimes

I feel like I can do 1 or 2 drinks and stop, but then again idk. Unfortunately, I will try this eventually.

I feel like I can do 1 or 2 drinks and stop, but then again idk. Unfortunately, I will try this eventually.

Some days I'll try a beer and not even want it anymore like I'll just a water or a soda and be fine I still smoke trees and pop...but I know i got a problem I've been at is since 15 gonna be 30 in a few months

Some days I'll try a beer and not even want it anymore like I'll just a water or a soda and be fine I still smoke trees and pop...but I know i got a problem I've been at is since 15 gonna be 30 in a few months

I def read all you guys post in here. They def make me see things differently. I guess my problem for a long time was thinking I didn't have a problem.

I've weaned off alcohol a lot from last year.

I still have a beer almost everyday when I go to a concert, etc.
I've slowly cut off drinking -- I just drink water at concerts now

laugh.gif

Saw a girl I hadn't seen for a few years who doesn't drink and her skin was ****** amazing :lol:

She attributed her not drinking had to do with it

Been cutting back significantly as of late. Went from drinking 1-2 beers per day and more on the weekends to only drinking 3 days a week and keeping it limited to about 2 beers on those days. I try to make it into the gym at least 6 days a week and beer just isn't conducive with that lifestyle. I'm at the point where I look forward to the prospect of going to the gym in the morning more than I look forward to pounding beers after work.

Don't get me wrong: I love beer. Hell...I love it to the point where I never want to get into a position where I need to give it up. Hence moderation.

Big ups to anyone wanting to improve their situation and eliminate bad habits.

I've had some bad bouts with alcohol. At one point I would drink fifths to myself in my room on a near daily basis. I've cut back a lot now, still have my moments and I even took last December off from drinking but I'm heading towards just getting off it, amongst other extra curricular ****. Tree is good enough for me.

I haven't had a drink since Christmas time. Unintentionally though. In my 20's I went sort of hard, typical college weekend warrior type. Now that I'm in my 30's I honestly would rather be able to feel good with a clear head instead of pissing it all away while intoxicated. Life is going by too quick lately.

Alcoholism runs in my family too. Claimed my maternal grandfather, maternal uncle and about to be another maternal uncle. That whole side of my family has some bad addiction genes which I've probably inherited, so I tread lightly. Alcohol is also a depressant and I'm prone to depression, so the after effects are no bueno.

I don't know how people can work all week then spend the entire weekend getting **** faced. It's a backwards way of living in my opinion. Like the alcohol is just a way of coping and tuning out after a miserable week only to restart the cycle on Monday.

Last edited:
I ended up drinking on st paddys day and it turned into a night of binging. I really do have a problem once I start drinking. I can't just be one and done. My friends took the whiskey and hid it from me so I wouldn't keep drinking. It's a scary thought to think that was me on a nightly bases.

That's the last time I drank since January 20th Inauguration Day. No correlation.

I can attribute the desire to stop drinking from the past few months of adversities. I feel like I had a switch flipped and my body craved sobriety. I still get urges to drink but shrug them off reflecting on how dark that path is.

I initially felt silly ordering sparkling water at bars and concerts. This whole time I had this misconception that I can only have fun while drunk in social settings, and that alcohol is the greatest social lubricant. I'm realizing more each day how I don't need alcohol to enjoy concerts, sporting events and even just dinners with friends.

Stay strong to everyone struggling and positive vibes.

I ended up drinking on st paddys day and it turned into a night of binging. I really do have a problem once I start drinking. I can't just be one and done. My friends took the whiskey and hid it from me so I wouldn't keep drinking. It's a scary thought to think that was me on a nightly bases.

That's the last time I drank since January 20th Inauguration Day. No correlation.

I can attribute the desire to stop drinking from the past few months of adversities. I feel like I had a switch flipped and my body craved sobriety. I still get urges to drink but shrug them off reflecting on how dark that path is.

I initially felt silly ordering sparkling water at bars and concerts. This whole time I had this misconception that I can only have fun while drunk in social settings, and that alcohol is the greatest social lubricant. I'm realizing more each day how I don't need alcohol to enjoy concerts, sporting events and even just dinners with friends.

Stay strong to everyone struggling and positive vibes.

Thanks for writing this! I'm about an hour out from dropping my wife off at the airport and while I'm going to a meeting later on this morning, I'm always looking for extra support and motivation even if it isn't directed at me on how to maintain my sobriety. Great for you, it seems like you took a step back to reassess things. That's hard regardless of the subject matter(relationship, job, etc) so I commend you on that man!

I didn't even get a chance to speak in my group about how my wife was leaving, so many people wanted time to talk, so I listened and it was great.

-One person talked about how they're leaving for 2 weeks and didn't really have a plan
- Another person talked about how they got disconnected from both the fellowship and their own program
- A person brought up how they saw someone they ended on bad terms with and wanted to use instantly because of they didn't know where to put their emotions
(HUGE one for me)
- We ended with someone confessing to a relapse, and it got pretty real with another member saying the relapser hasn't really hit their bottom and faced consequences that will truly want to me them sober.

One thing this is taught me is their are times to speak up and other times to shut up and listen. I'll just bring up my wife leaving and how I feel tomorrow in group, totally talking about it today in AA though

I've cut back since my daughter's been born.

I'm a super light weight again. Felt sleepy at the end of brunch because of my mimosa lol.

Yes, I ordered a mimosa.

Considering taking a long break from drinking, or at the very least if it's not cold turkey a very minuscule amount. I'm 27 and just got out of a year and a half long relationship, I don't wanna go back to doing the same **** I was doing before which is getting through Mon-Fri just to look forward to drinking on the weekends. That lifestyle brings me happiness the day of, and fun memories with friends, but overall it leaves me empty. Strongly considering forcing myself to find what I need to do in order to really feel fulfillment by taking alcohol completely out of the equation.

Last edited:
I survived, and it wasn't even as bad as I thought it'd be. took it one day at a time for sure and going to the night meetings helped. I think the only stressful part was driving to pick up my wife. I hadn't driven in 3 years and recently got my license back and before she left my wife put me on the insurance so I wouldn't have to bart it everywhere. her flight got delayed 3 times over and it was pretty nerve racking driving 20 miles at 1130pm to pick her up, I was just stressin getting into an accident, even if I wasn't at fault and sober, I would've had to defend myself hard to prove otherwise.

To my dudes who drink daily, how is your work performance? Do you come in looking like yesterday? Just curious.

I can't party hard during the week. My eyes get red easily :lol:

I can never make it. The weekends call me. Last time I made a sober post was in like 08 after waking up in the homies couch after poppin E and drinking all night.

I have been battling with alcohol all my life

I won't stop but need to cut back. When life isn't going well I tend to over drink and act like a fool and embarrass myself. Wish I could just buy edibles somewhere and chill.

I survived, and it wasn't even as bad as I thought it'd be. took it one day at a time for sure and going to the night meetings helped. I think the only stressful part was driving to pick up my wife. I hadn't driven in 3 years and recently got my license back and before she left my wife put me on the insurance so I wouldn't have to bart it everywhere. her flight got delayed 3 times over and it was pretty nerve racking driving 20 miles at 1130pm to pick her up, I was just stressin getting into an accident, even if I wasn't at fault and sober, I would've had to defend myself hard to prove otherwise.

Worst part about it is defending yourself when you know your trying, it might be days sober weeks, months but any mistake, accident, problem is most likely your fault, and people's first thought is you've been drinking or doing drugs...

I went to the astros game the other day, 4/20 I was smoking but no drinking...it was hot so I bought a Gatorade, didn't finish it came home put it in the fridge...my family believes I put drugs in the glacier blue Gatorade they even "taste tested" it lol sucks but I just have to laugh it off..

I drank a couple times this week 4/20 I had two beers I stopped after my bottle water got cold and kept smoking, yesterday I drank 5 beers deep inside I wanted to go to the liquor store and buy a bottle but I stopped but if someone was around and was down I would of went all out

I made this commitment too. I Got fully committed last year and it was mostly my job and trying to stay healthy.
First cuz of my family (gotta take care of em, only one income family and my job, I work for ups and I would feel my joints hurting. Then I just wanted to be healthy so I started exercising; started running these 5k, 10k runs. Also at the same time started reading these motivational books. But I do get tempted once in a while for 1 beer and that's it.

To my dudes who drink daily, how is your work performance? Do you come in looking like yesterday? Just curious.

I can't party hard during the week. My eyes get red easily :lol:

I drink throughout the week, but limit myself big time. I can have 2 beers after work (sometimes more), and call it a day. Or 2 beers or wine while watching the Champions League and be fine, then I also try hard to take a glass of water to bed.

I'm quite lucky though, that while having drinks I often have this feeling of "I don't want this anymore", and I just stop. I don't understand how people can drink and drink until they just pass out. I also try to keep a couple rules. I don't drink when feeling down. I also only drink what tastes good, and I stay away from shots, I also try not to mix drinks.

That's me personally.

But a dude who I worked with, pints it hard damn near every night. We'd have after work drinks a couple times a week. And to be honest with you, I never want to be like dude. I'm confident he feels like death every morning. Performance is down the toilet for sure, getting by on the skin of his teeth. Homelife is a mess due to other reasons, but I can tell you for sure the drinking doesn't help. When your wife is calling you to remind you not to have too many at lunch cause you have a late afternoon meeting, you know you have problems.

I'll say to anyone, if you can't or don't want to limit yourself, then rather stay out of the game, truth be told you're not missing thaaaat much.

Back
Top Bottom