Anyone else feel like 9-5 life isn't for them?

I hate and love my job. Ok, I'm leaning hating it more. haha However, I just feel like us humans are not meant to work 40 a week.

I may never get a job again. Certainly don't plan on it.

Work from home. Do whatever I want. Go where ever I choose.
I plan on doing nothing but educating and exercising my mind, spirit and body until I die. I will design and create many things.

Someday I will marry a rich successful woman who will have my child/children.  I will home-school them as a stay at home dad.

I'll still do my work-at-home and freelancing elsewhere, and probably bring my kids with me so that they can take over when I'm done.

I'd also like to be able to have the option of "retire" in less than 5-10 years, when I become a successful entrepreneur.

its %*!$++@#..a lot of peoples mentality is..we're meant to work and thats it. they completely ignore the surroundings of reality and act like they aren't capable of changing anything. it really is an anti-intellectual and anti-educational culture and time we live in. it sickens me.

sorry....don't expect me to drown with you...I'll do whatever i can to avoid that life. change is possible..change is what America is about....but so many people here are caught up in their everyday routine to even care about anything political....thats why the system is a joke...

the class of people who go to work everyday and pay taxes simply feel like thats the way it is...and thats it...it really is disheartening man. it really bothers me that people don't care to look deeper into the condition of our culture. disturbing.

I work long days, pretty much 12 hour a day patterns, I hate it.

Problem for me is that I am 23 but still don't know what career path I want to head in, Currently in the I.T field but don't actually care so much for Computers

Would love to go self employed

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

its only if you dont enjoy your job that you feel this way.
im cool with my 730-330 even tho i only get 30 min for lunch
laugh.gif
I work 7:30-5 and only get a 30 minute lunch
ohwell.gif

Rich Dad Poor Dad really changed my perspective on the 9-5 along with a few other things. However, i can tell you i'd rather do anything else to make decent money other than working a 9-5. Thats too much of my life spent working. Last week really hit home with my decision. A lady at my job who's been working there longer than I've been born and I'm 21, got laid off in the middle of the day. No heads up no nothing. The president came down, took her in the managers office and fired her right there on the spot. She cleaned out her office and dipped. Now here's where the snakes come into play. The manager says everything was unexpected and sudden when the best friend of the lady who got fired was in the room, but when she left and went home he told the rest of us basically he knew it was coming and why they did it.....Then one lady who's about as useless as floss in 2012 started talking down about the lady when in reality she's been working the same job for 5 years and STILL doesn't know what she's doing..... So I'll be damned if there's a chance that could happen to me. Plus i don't like being told what to do....

if I end up getting into medical school: most likely on call 24/7
if I stick with my biology major: 9-5 lab technician

My dad's roommate when he had to move to bay area like a few years ago in an apartment was a Bio major and had a pretty basic job just running labs. 

Maybe I'll end up working in a park/reserve. 
ohwell.gif

#gselevator

"Do you know how high the unemployment rate would be if black guys didn't call themselves entrepreneurs?"

I'm leaving my job in March. Been working there almost 3 1/2 yrs; my first "real" job.

I feel like I've atrophied so much. Not just physically, but mentally. I feel like i've gotten so much dumber than I was when i was 23/24 (Im 28 btw); it sucks because once upon a time I used to pride myself on staying up on current events and politics.

Decided to leave a few months ago when i literally would have dreams/nightmares about work, was getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night, and was generally a miserable person. It caused tension with my wife because i was letting life affect my life. One night after a fight it kind of came out and i told her how miserable i was at work. We talked about it, she assured me she would support whatever i chose to do, and how i really was wasting myself @ my job. I decided i would stay at home with my daughter for a yr to get her ready for kindergarten.

I really want to spend good, quality time with her teaching her basic things, work on her spanish, get her in good habits, go out and do certain things that right now, aren't possible (camping, going out for hikes, gardening, etc) because Monday-Friday, we spend about 10 waking hours together. Weekends are spent trying to recover and get ready for the upcoming week.

I'm fortunate enough to have this as an option, my wife is an attorney working that @firmlife. Which sucks because it's an hour commute each way for us with traffic (we both work in DC, live in the outer VA burbs) so when she has to work until 7 or 730, she's not getting home until 830 or so, and we put my daughter to bed around 9-930. So it's always a trade-off, trying t figure whats more important, more money/career success or family time. Fortunately, her firm is actually pretty good about work/life balance, so some days she can work from home and at least be around.

Originally Posted by KillTheHype

Well I'm 17 so I can't say anything. I'm living with my parents and I plan to stay with them for another year.

I could not be happier not working. I sell and trade a lot of shoes so I use that to live off of.

I go to the city every other weekend haha the Caltrain is a really good place to meet a bunch of weird people.

You're right - living with your parents and not working isn't anything like what is being discussed. The money you use to "live off" isn't for living - I bet you just spend that on frivolities - not rent and food?

Originally Posted by richiecotite

I'm fortunate enough to have this as an option, my wife is an attorney working that @firmlife. Which sucks because it's an hour commute each way for us with traffic (we both work in DC, live in the outer VA burbs) so when she has to work until 7 or 730, she's not getting home until 830 or so, and we put my daughter to bed around 9-930. So it's always a trade-off, trying t figure whats more important, more money/career success or family time. Fortunately, her firm is actually pretty good about work/life balance, so some days she can work from home and at least be around.

That's not even a question - family comes first.

I couldn't even consider a commute like that. I was talking to someone last week in a similar situation (also an attorney actually) and sure, you can afford a bigger house etc. - but is that what really counts?

If you could be at home at a reasonable time would that make a slightly lower paying job/smaller house worth it? You'd be stupid to say no - within reason. If you're out of the house for work 15 hours a day then you're getting that wrong.

Originally Posted by richiecotite

Props to you for realizing that fam is important.

My mother has a relatively young kid (11) and she lives in MD (Columbia) and doesn't get home until 8:30 or 9 pm and she has the same complaint.

This, however, is the one trap (IMO) that I am definitely going to try avoid by giving into that far-away/suburban life. If I ever have kids (I'm 24), I refuse to raise them in a place that is 1 or two hours away from where I work. I dealt with that from my mom growing up and I hardly got to see her during the week when I was a kid. I don't think I could ever give up working (I enjoy going out into the world) so finding a place that close or within the city I work in (I'm never giving up the urbanized life either).   

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

its %*!$++@#..a lot of peoples mentality is..we're meant to work and thats it. they completely ignore the surroundings of reality and act like they aren't capable of changing anything. it really is an anti-intellectual and anti-educational culture and time we live in. it sickens me.

sorry....don't expect me to drown with you...I'll do whatever i can to avoid that life. change is possible..change is what America is about....but so many people here are caught up in their everyday routine to even care about anything political....thats why the system is a joke...

the class of people who go to work everyday and pay taxes simply feel like thats the way it is...and thats it...it really is disheartening man. it really bothers me that people don't care to look deeper into the condition of our culture. disturbing.
Agree with everything you said.

Originally Posted by Clevereddie

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Life is too short to spend a third of your life helping your higher ups have the time of their lives. i definitely dont want to go down thay road: mid 40s punching someones time clock. Im a little older, but still considered a young man, 28. Ive got an entrepeneur (sp?) mentality, but I just need that big idea. Cliffs: Im not about that 9-5 life.
then you are not about that entrepreneurial life

Why not? Just cuz the guy doesn't want a 9-5 for the rest of his life doesn't mean he couldn't/wouldn't sacrifice time and effort for the sake of an entrepreneurial endeavor.

i feel you... havent worked in a yr and change, i know i cant live this way forever but a regular 9 to 5 is not in my plans... that "perpetual monotonous passive income" only helps you survive doesnt help you grow.

bout to go hard with the day trading penny stocks this week.. got everything lined up.. just gotta open a broker account and i will be on my way...

the 9 to 5 is indentured servant status....

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

A part of me just want to finish my training, work for a few years and become a stay at home dad to a very successful wife

I'm about that life working too hard with my 8- 10

Originally Posted by devildog1776

i feel you... havent worked in a yr and change, i know i cant live this way forever but a regular 9 to 5 is not in my plans... that "perpetual monotonous passive income" only helps you survive doesnt help you grow.

bout to go hard with the day trading penny stocks this week.. got everything lined up.. just gotta open a broker account and i will be on my way...

the 9 to 5 is indentured servant status....
Not trying to be stuck with a 9-5 I don't want either. I'm also thinking about Trading Penny Stocks... let me know how your trading goes this week. 

I'm usually gone for 24-48 hours every time I go to work. The set schedule isn't for me. I love living the on call lifestyle. It's different every time.

Back
Top Bottom