Anyone Know How to Write Code

Props
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

I develop video games... specifically gameplay programming

I've written quite a few tool-sets and applications for our studio and have developed some custom firmware for various devices. I've also written my own Linux kernal.

Never done anything for the iOS but have done a lot with android.

::Kayne Shrug::
pimp.gif

What schooling did you go through ? When im done learning this networking stuff I really want to expand and learn more

Just saying code isn't enough.  There a tons of code languages out there.  Of the top of my head I've used or worked around:
C
C++
C#
Java
Lua
Python
Assembly

Then MATLAB and XLINX as psuedo-languages.

If anyone need a Hello World program in C, C++, C*, or Java.
I got you. Might even put it in an infinite loop for ya, to impress your friends

Originally Posted by omgitswes

If anyone need a Hello World program in C, C++, C*, or Java.
I got you. Might even put it in an infinite loop for ya, to impress your friends

laugh.gif
I know someone who did this, it's probably the only thing she can do correctly...

laugh.gif

It's been over a year since I've done any programming. I love and hate it at the same time.
That's why I couldn't be a CS major. Writing code drives me crazy, but when you finally finish and get everything working you feel like a genius.

It's so damn fulfilling when your code actually works... but it's so so so so so so so heartbreaking when it won't compile and you just can't figure out why. But then after a week of looking at it, you see the one missing character/line, and everything is better... haha it requires some pretty serious dedication if you really want to make something significant. I've taken a few programming courses throughout my uni career, have yet to take a course on making GUI's. Anyways, if you're serious about it, def should take some courses, will help cut some time out of the learning process i wreckon

c++ and python are two of the most in demand languages now also being damn powerful
we need more techheads on nt

Im a programmer.

I develop in all languages. Once you understand the logic, all that follows is the syntax and scoping.

Meh...

best way to get started is to learn C from a book.

i consider myself a fairly tech savvy person, and writing code (other than HTML or CSS) always seemed like a daunting task. I know how it works from dealing with warez back in the day, but I never took the time to geek out for 6-8 months and completely isolate myself from the outside world, which is what it would take for me to become proficient.

props to sillyputty for the link, i'm gonna give it a try.

Good luck, do work son, do work. Code is simple depending on what you are writing it for, but what you are asking about is a lot more involved. 

Originally Posted by DatRealBalla12

I'd also like to know more about coding but geared more towards Apps..

take some programming classes at your local community college

in class right now doing this ccna virtual lab thing, setting up routers and stuff.
cant even seem to enter a password on this router im trying to configure -.-
so i gave up and ended up on nt

Originally Posted by sillyputty

CodeAcademy.com
...is starting a daily/weekly code activity to learn how to do it. It teaches fundamentals. They made it the new-years resolution for a bunch of people.

Go ahead and sign up.

Thank me later. 
Thanks for the referral, I've been wanting to learn code for a while. Especially C, C++, Java, Ruby on Rails and etc. Taking the tutorials as we speak.
pimp.gif

I just started that codeacademy stuff and I got stuck at lesson 6...my brain is hurting but def interesting...

what program do i download to write in code..in? 
nerd.gif

c or java 

only ask cuz somehow java  development thing from oracle isnt installing right...cant find it..

thanks for the insightful posts tho i need a few programs on my resume

Originally Posted by roc4life24

what program do i download to write in code..in? 
nerd.gif

c or java 

only ask cuz somehow java  development thing from oracle isnt installing right...cant find it..

thanks for the insightful posts tho i need a few programs on my resume
Eclipse is a popular IDE (integrated development environment). You can get it here:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Download "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers". To

Installing it is pretty straight forward, (just unzip it and run the "Application" file "eclipse", but it won't run until you have installed Java correctly (or just install Java first, then Eclipse). For macs, see here:

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~cs5/install/eclipse-osx/index.html

Here's how for Windows:
http://www.ugrad.cs.ubc.ca/~cs211/tutorials/Eclipse/Eclipse_Java_Windows_XP.html

For C it's less of a chore. See here for a good tutorial. You can switch b/w C and Java in Eclipse, once you configure it properly: 

http://www.yichunhuang.com/programming/eclipse_c+/eclipse_c.html

IMO, it's best to pick up a thorough book about the subject and just code your %#+ off (see my previous post for recommendations). The coding tutorial sites can only go so far. I'd learn C first, then Java, and then maybe Python, C++, or C#, although you should learn what language would be best suited for what you want (ie, speed, platform independence, memory limitations etc.). C will give you all the necessary background and fundamental skills to know what's going on behind other languages. C is a hulking brute of a language compared to recent languages which have more behind the scenes stuff going on, and more modern features than C.

You'll want to know about these concepts  in C (memory allocation, pointers, references etc.) b/c it will give you a much better picture of programming vs. learning a high level programming language first. I learned Java first, then C and I think that if I learned C first, Java would have come much more easily and made more sense. Concepts like manual memory allocation are very important, yet you don't touch on that in Java/Python b/c of the automated memory management and garbage collecting. It's concepts like these that will increase your programming  awareness and make you a better programmer. There's a reason why C and Java are two of the most highly used languages, so if you want to learn, they're the best way to go.

Back
Top Bottom