Are you a fan of the "nicknames?"

finale, sugar ray, qrich, hoh penny, laney etc.

The best nick names are the unmistakable ones. If its name is in its colorway, wow

titanium, pearl,  grape,

Bred is something I eat...not a name of a shoe.

I can stand actual nicknames, like the Hares, Space Jams, Playoffs but Breds, Cherrys, Raptors, etc...are just turrible.

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

people gott alottuh hate for the term "breds!" haha. why ? just out of curiosity.
It is easier to say it but black/reds are not that to much of a hassle to utter either.

And BREDS sounds stupid.
laugh.gif

Nicknames has always been a sore subject for me. Why? Because most are annoying and seem more forced that the rarity of some limited kicks.

The only ones I can tolerate are the ones that use the color name (i.e. True Blue III's, Cement IV's, Carmine VI's, Bordeaux VII's, Aqua VIII's, Powder Blue IX's, Concord XI's....) There's also a VERY SMALL handful that I'll use which don't use the color (i.e. Space Jams, Laney V's, Motorsport VI's)...

I understand that the tolerance of nickname usage may be a generation thing which is why I stopped caring as much. People are gonna call them what they want. I figured that out a long time ago. You'll see alot of older heads and OG collectors shriek whenever they hear terms like "Breds" and "Raptors" and you'll also get opposing arguments from the newer collectors stating that it's just "easier" to associate some kicks to nicknames.

Times have changed. The nicknames I can't stand hearing are the same ones loved by many new people. But just wait till some of y'all are older and the shoes you grew up loving get bastardized by some ridiculous nickname that has no relative meaning to the shoe whatsoever...lol.

Originally Posted by ijapino

Nicknames has always been a sore subject for me. Why? Because most are annoying and seem more forced that the rarity of some limited kicks.

The only ones I can tolerate are the ones that use the color name (i.e. True Blue III's, Cement IV's, Carmine VI's, Bordeaux VII's, Aqua VIII's, Powder Blue IX's, Concord XI's....) There's also a VERY SMALL handful that I'll use which don't use the color (i.e. Space Jams, Laney V's, Motorsport VI's)...

I understand that the tolerance of nickname usage may be a generation thing which is why I stopped caring as much. People are gonna call them what they want. I figured that out a long time ago. You'll see alot of older heads and OG collectors shriek whenever they hear terms like "Breds" and "Raptors" and you'll also get opposing arguments from the newer collectors stating that it's just "easier" to associate some kicks to nicknames.

Times have changed. The nicknames I can't stand hearing are the same ones loved by many new people. But just wait till some of y'all are older and the shoes you grew up loving get bastardized by some ridiculous nickname that has no relative meaning to the shoe whatsoever...lol.
l0l. another one that i see gets alottuh people heated is September Blue. . .since it's really Sports Blue
ohwell.gif

i wouldn't mind nicknames, saying BRED over black red XI sounds much better imo...

Originally Posted by marcelwuzhere

Im pretty pissed with cats callin the university blue 9s the powder blue 9s! what is that about?
ohwell.gif
lol!

the 2010 retros are a slightly different blue than the OG University Blue. 

Whats up with cats callin the white and varsity red 12s the cherries?
sick.gif
Fam Im personally a fan of these 12s key words VARSITY RED
mad.gif
Where did guys get cherry from?CMON SON!
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ijapino

I agree with this totally

I hate how you have like four different playoff Jordans now and everything is a bred or stealth

Originally Posted by encore2007

Only when ppl know what they're talking about. I've heard ppl call every XI "Space Jams" annoys the hell outta me

I heard that ridiculous story lolz I've yet to see it in person though...definitely came from da uninformed.

Some of the nicknames are the colorways of the shoes
Powder 9, powder 10,trueblue,black cement,infrared ect

Others are base on what mj wore during the game
playoff, last shot, allstar

And other have a signifance
Like laney,spacejam

I can deal wit those, but cherries, is something that doesnt go with anything

The ones with the colorways in the name are fine.

I don't like the term "Playoff 12s" or "Playoff 13s". MJ wore 2 different pairs of 12s and 3 different pairs of 13s during the playoffs. Why would only 1 shoe be identified as such? Oh...because the other is called "BRED"
smh.gif

eh i use some more than others. as long as the nicknames make sense its all good

yeah most nicknames are stupid when there is absolutely no connection.  The colorway nicknames are obviously great and makes sense.  Also the shoes MJ wore in a specific game or like SJ in the movie.  Again. makes perfect sense.

the rest are a fail.

this stupid nickname thing is crossing over to nike retros.  Anyone following the FOAMPOSITES?  There is a retro coming out with a black foam upper and a red clear sole..and peeps are calling them COUGH DROPS?  Come on...really?  COUGH DROPS? so not just jordans getting the lame nickname treatment.

I havent looked at previous comments, but I can DEFINITELY say that I'm a big fan of the nicknames for the simple reason that it gives the shoe model and colorway some personality, character, and easy reference. It also doesn't sound boring. However, I am only a fan as long as the nickname doesn't sound dumb and childish and it has some sort of linkage to the shoe. I will say that "BRED" is a bit juvenile as a name, but it does make sense.

Oreos, Breds, Grapes, Concords, yadda yadda yadda .... sneakerheads immediately know what shoe is being talked about. This is a faster world and everything is quick, quick, quick. Plus, this is a forum about sneakers, so of course nicknames make sense. It' s not like your boy "Timothy" or "Andre" is always sounded out ... you simply call them "Tim" and "Dre" for short. I don't want to say I like the "white/grape ice - new emerald Vs." I'd rather just say "Grape Vs" or simply just "Grapes."

People make WAY too much of a bigger deal with the names than it really is--especially since most folks use nicknames in form or another.

Back
Top Bottom