Are you content with being average NT?

Had a discussion with a classmate today.

It seems like a lot of people just go to college to get a degree and make an average amount of money.

Another point that was made, is that everyone wants to make a lot of money but the reality is that most people are setting themselves up to be average. (By not networking, etc.)

Sometimes I find myself lacking motivation in school because the major I have chosen does not make an "above average" amount of money, but I know I will be content having a job in this field because it is something I love.

But in reality, is anyone just content with being average?

What do you think NT?

What school did you end up going to? I remember you wanted to go to OU though.

I don't even know what "average" means anymore.

Like you work a 9-5, make around $60k a year, drive a Honda Accord, have a wife who's a 6, 2 kids... while you're lying in bed dreaming about having a net worth of 8 figures, a Lamborghini, a Victoria's Secret model for a girl and jet set the world?

I doubt anyone looks forward to being mediocre. No one gets up in the morning, or sets a goal saying "I want to be average". We all want to be great, have nice things, do new things, I'd say the people who don't have them and gave up just settled on being "average". Doesn't mean they like it, but that's where they are and they accepted it.

I don't want to be average. To me, that's worse than being dead last and a complete failure.

Originally Posted by scshift

Like you work a 9-5, make around $60k a year, drive a Honda Accord, have a wife who's a 6, 2 kids... while you're lying in bed dreaming about having a net worth of 8 figures, a Lamborghini, a Victoria's Secret model for a girl and jet set the world?

I doubt anyone looks forward to being mediocre. No one gets up in the morning, or sets a goal saying "I want to be average". We all want to be great, have nice things, do new things, I'd say the people who don't have them and gave up just settled on being "average". Doesn't mean they like it, but that's where they are and they accepted it.

I don't want to be average. To me, that's worse than being dead last and a complete failure.
umm what?

Originally Posted by scshift

Calm down,

It's not that serious,

Don't care if I'm the average NT'er...

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

I would like to be a millionaire of course, but if I can live a good life, without stressing about bills & a nice condo then I'd be ok.

I'm pretty sure Id be happy makin any type of money and just livin. For now though im studyin for a high payin job and doin work to get it

I find it funny scshift swear he has life figure out, a virgin who hasn't even went to college yet. Good Luck but I've said it befoe you're mature for your age but very naïve.

Sometimes I find myself lacking motivation in school because the major I have chosen does not make an "above average" amount of money, but I know I will be content having a job in this field because it is something I love.

How is that considered being average?  You can become the best in whatever field you are in.

Not being average is why I wake up at 4:30 each morning to research and learn.

it also really depends on what you mean by "average" if i'm making 50k but living on my own & not supporting anyone i'd be happy...FOR NOW

Being average on NT means making 100k+, driving an M5 and dating that girl who got 2nd place in Miss Universe one year.

I guess I'm ok with that.

Originally Posted by megatron

What school did you end up going to? I remember you wanted to go to OU though.
Ended up going to UNT, a university outside of Dallas. Out of state tuition prices were
sick.gif
of course.

I guess everyone has a different definition of "average."

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

I would like to be a millionaire of course, but if I can live a good life, without stressing about bills & a nice condo then I'd be ok.
This, and I wouldnt even consider this an average

Don't think you should have your salary as the ruler. More to life than that obviously. You said yourself that you love the field you're going in, so I don't consider that average. That's great in my opinion, how many people can say that?

i have been thinking of this question for the past few weeks. it seems like a lot of people i meet are content with where they are at with life. like they have a 9-5 job, average pay, and don't want to achieve more in life. They just get into this comfort zone and don't want to advance.

Personally, I did feel lazy at times and thought maybe i should just stay in this comfort zone, coast through life, buy a house, get married, live a normal average life. But recently, I've been motivated to advance my professional career by taking on more tasks and going back to graduate school for a certification. there's a lot i still want to achieve in life, so i strive to be above average.

Everyone wants to be successful , but no one wants to put in the work.. it's all about putting the work in.

Pretty sure there are millions of people making an "average" wage who are just as happy as people who make millions. I think it's sad if you see money as a source for happiness.

No. I'm working to be an outlier. Both financially and personally. The more I can learn and the more I can earn, the more I separate myself from "average" people. If average is the setting I grew up in.

Depending on who I'm surrounded with, working with the mentality that I am in fact average/below average is what fuels me--No matter how much success I experience, there is always going to be someone better than I am and the very thought causes great anxiety

Back
Top Bottom