Arrogance of having a college degree

That's pretty shallow.

I have a few friends who don't have degrees, or Phantom's but are doing pretty well in business and in corporate. SInce you're talking about your network, remember you never know who someone might know or be related to etc.

I also know people without college degrees and are successful. That's not the point--we all know people who are very successful who haven't gone to college. My shallow decision to not give these types of people the benefit of the doubt is based on probability, and not the slim chance that he/she is an outlier.

Last edited:
Via

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/education/21college.html?_r=0

According to the report, the median earnings of full-time workers with bachelor’s degrees were $55,700 in 2008 — $21,900 more than those of workers who finished only high school.

The report, first issued in 2004 and updated in 2007, also described social benefits: those with a bachelor’s degree, it said, are more likely to volunteer, vote, exercise and have health insurance and pensions. They are also less likely to smoke, be obese or have low-birth-weight babies. 

Like pointgod said college graduation is a proxy for these things. In addition the more education you have the more you travel, you have children later in life and have less children. 

More
[table][tr][td]Lifelong Employment Earnings*[/td][/tr][tr][td]Education[/td][td]Earnings (in millions of dollars)[/td][/tr][tr][td]Professional Degree[/td][td]$4.40[/td][/tr][tr][td]Doctorate[/td][td]$3.40[/td][/tr][tr][td]Master's Degree[/td][td]$2.50[/td][/tr][tr][td]Bachelor's Degree[/td][td]$2.10[/td][/tr][tr][td]Associate’s Degree[/td][td]$1.60[/td][/tr][tr][td]High School Diploma[/td][td]$1.20[/td][/tr][tr][td]Less than High School Diploma[/td][td]$1.00[/td][/tr][/table]
*Full-time, year-round employment over a period of 40 years.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau.

Numerous studies have shown that college graduates enjoy many benefits that enhance the quality of their lives, long term.The primary motive for seeking admission to college should not be a quest for the  good life. However, the quality of life—living a good life—is something that matters to most people.

Research findings indicate that college graduates have:
  • Better employment and promotion opportunities;
  • Better housing options;
  • Greater access to quality health care and medical facilities; and
  • More disposable income to spend for hobbies, leisure time activities, and vacations.
In addition, in comparison to the children of non-college graduates, the offspring of college graduates are found to:
  • Attend better schools;
  • Have greater exposure to career options;
  • Be more likely to have traveled to a variety of places;
  • Have access to a wider variety of extra- and co-curricular options, community service experiences, and the arts; and
  • Be more likely to apply to college.
  •  

Why are so many people concerned with the ambition of others? From what I've skimmed it seems like the people advocating each side of the argument don't even have the same goals so I don't see the reason to bicker over it. Everyone defines their version of success differently. Go after yours and wish the next man luck. No need to get all hot and bothered if their expectations are loftier or lower than yours.

Four good friends of mine have degrees, none work in their field of study. I have an Associates, thats it, and make the most money of the group.

Why are so many people concerned with the ambition of others? From what I've skimmed it seems like the people advocating each side of the argument don't even have the same goals so I don't see the reason to bicker over it. Everyone defines their version of success differently. Go after yours and wish the next man luck. No need to get all hot and bothered if their expectations are loftier or lower than yours.

Because everyone should strive to go to college. People are idiots for contemplating skipping college should they have the opportunity to attend.

The college experience encompasses benefits beyond X credits = degree = salary. It teaches you how to think, how to live, but more importantly, surrounds you with other individuals and foster friendships that, frankly, motivate you to be better.

NT General lately has been filled with these young clowns talking about how college is a scam and no one needs to go to college, etc.

Last edited:

Because everyone should strive to go to college. People are idiots for contemplating skipping college should they have the opportunity to attend.

:lol:

The college experience encompasses benefits beyond X credits = degree = salary. It teaches you how to think, how to live, but more importantly, surrounds you with other individuals and foster friendships that, frankly, motivate you to be better.

NT General lately has been filled with these young clowns talking about how college is a scam and no one needs to go to college, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with a single point you made about college. However, if someone decides to not go to to college and squander that opportunity that's on them. If I'm trying to make something of myself and I think going to a Top 5 MBA or JD program, I don't have time to worry about those who don't want to finish their degree, or anyone who isn't in my field of work for that matter. However, if they believe they can be successful without getting their degree then I'm not going to knock them or stop them. They're damn sure not doing either to me and it's not like our career paths will ever cross.

And honestly, if you do believe that education offers you these benefits and they don't want it, that's just more money, yambs, success, fame, etc. for you so shouldn't even be worried.

Here's the bottom line: I consider myself a goal-driven person that has made a lot of sacrifices to get to where I'm at now. I've set up myself perfectly to get to where I want to be. One of my steps was to go to college. In the process, I feel like I've become a more cultured and educated person, though it may not be entirely due to going to college. However, I do find that a college degree can be a strong indicator that the holder of the degree may also be goal-driven, educated, articulate, classy, cultured, etc. I understand it may not hold true in all cases, and someone will bring up the possibility of someone being goal-driven, educated, articulate, classy, and cultured without going to college, but Good Will Hunting doesn't happen in real life too often.

chill famb.. you going a little OD w/ that one...

i thought it was a troll post but you're serious...

college isnt for everyone, famb.. what if you're an aspiring chef? or a person that wants to pursue some type of sales career? or a working a family business?

guess what happens if you fail?

You've got nothing.

Unless you're an nba athlete or have secured your dreams college is a very minimum necessity.

Imagine j. cole tried to keep rapping but quit school :lol: He'd be nobody right now.

I really wish people would stop downplaying the importance of education. Even if the system is messed up, it's a necessity.

You might think you can get an interview in a t-shirt over the guy in the suit but more often than not you wont.

chill famb.. you going a little OD w/ that one...

i thought it was a troll post but you're serious...

college isnt for everyone, famb.. what if you're an aspiring chef? or a person that wants to pursue some type of sales career? or a working a family business?

Yeah, when someone is encouraging others to pursue higher education, they must be trolling

Last edited:
guess what happens if you fail?

Failure is a good thing.

School isn't the only place to get an education, I don't know why people don't understand this.

Then again, there's people in here who wouldn't talk to Mark Zuckerberg because he dropped out of Harvard and would be pulling up to the party in an Acura, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Then again, there's people in here who wouldn't talk to Mark Zuckerberg because he dropped out of Harvard and would be pulling up to your party in an Acura, so...

1. No one is saying this and everyone knows who Zuckerberg is and would be lucky to have a conversation with him.

2. Zuckerberg went to Exeter, took the SATS, applied to colleges and decided to go to Harvard, and obviously has the exact opposite views on education than you do. He left Harvard to pursue an opportunity which is different from not attending college at all. Going to one of the most prestigious high schools in the country followed by an Ivy League university demonstrates that he indeed does value schooling.

3. Despite Zuckerberg's lack of a college degree, FB generally isn't hiring any clowns without a college degree from a top university. Do you think Zuckerberg feels any sort of camaraderie with and is therefore pushing for hiring of fellow non-college graduates?

What is your point? Did you mean to somehow analogize your life decisions with Mark Zuckerberg not completing college?

Last edited:
I would say our views on education are pretty similar being that we're both drop outs.

I'm not against college, I just know that it's not the only answer to getting an education/being successful.

If you want to go to college, go to college, but don't sit there and tell me that I need to do so in order to have a conversation with you, that sounds silly.

I know plenty of successful people that dropped out or never attended school, and I know plenty of people w/ degrees that aren't do a damn thing w/ their lives.

A degree, like money, is nothing more than a piece of paper.

Four good friends of mine have degrees, none work in their field of study. I have an Associates, thats it, and make the most money of the group.
What's the point of this comment? Your anecdotal evidence somehow shows that not having an advanced degree makes you earn more than having one?
laugh.gif

1. No one is saying this and everyone knows who Zuckerberg is and would be lucky to have a conversation with him.

2. Zuckerberg went to Exeter, took the SATS, applied to colleges and decided to go to Harvard, and obviously has the exact opposite views on education than you do. He left Harvard to pursue an opportunity which is different from not attending college at all. Going to one of the most prestigious high schools in the country followed by an Ivy League university demonstrates that he indeed does value schooling.

3. Despite Zuckerberg's lack of a college degree, FB generally isn't hiring any clowns without a college degree from a top university. Do you think Zuckerberg feels any sort of camaraderie with and is therefore pushing for hiring of fellow non-college graduates?

What is your point? Did you mean to somehow analogize your life decisions with Mark Zuckerberg not completing college?
I have a few friends who work for google, all of them are from ivys and top 50 universities. Same goes for companies like apple, google, ebay, etc.

I would say our views on education are pretty similar being that we're both drop outs.

I'm not against college, I just know that it's not the only answer to getting an education/being successful.

If you want to go to college, go to college, but don't sit there and tell me that I need to do so in order to have a conversation with you, that sounds silly.

I know plenty of successful people that dropped out or never attended school, and I know plenty of people w/ degrees that aren't do a damn thing w/ their lives.

I was with you until the bolded.

Some career paths 100% require a college degree (or higher) so to imply a degree doesn't mean much is false.

It all depends on what one's career goals are but most normal people will benefit from a college degree. I don't know why Zuckerberg is being brought up, he's clearly the exception and not the rule. The numbers don't lie....

Can't stand the close mindedness of those with degrees and those without. If there's availability to be educated, that's the smartest move. This is coming from a college grad with a GED and Juvie record.

Back in my day you didn't need one. Now its a must.

Not really, you just have to know how to work your way into whatever profession you like. A lot of my friends, and myself are self employed and we are doing just as fine, if not better than those who graduated college. They give you a degree but they don't prepare you for what is to come.

I was with you until the bolded.

Some career paths 100% require a college degree (or higher) so to imply a degree doesn't mean much is false.

It all depends on what one's career goals are but most normal people will benefit from a college degree. I don't know why Zuckerberg is being brought up, he's clearly the exception and not the rule. The numbers don't lie....

I'm not saying that a degree can't be beneficial.

If you're not willing to put work in after you get that degree, it wont do a damn thing for you.

I feel like too many people get that degree and then just slack because, well, they have a degree and they think its some golden ticket to success.

If you want to be successful, all you really need is to want something and be willing to pursue it relentlessly.

I only brought up Zuckerberg because if I name people that I know who are successful and don't drive some ridiculous fancy car, no one would know who I'm talking about.

Dude basically said he won't talk to you unless you're college educated or pushing a Phantom...

Seriously?

You know how many people push fancy cars and aren't doing too well financially?

I know a dude out here making 6 figures/year w/ a bus pass.

I also know dudes pushing 6 figure cars who rock Gucci belt buckles that are in massive debt.

People assume too much.

This is it for me, though.

From here on out, I'm not responding to anyone unless they pay at least 6 figures in taxes.

It's just a waste of my time.

:lol:

I'm saying Zuckerberg is a bad example because he's very wealthy and clearly not the norm even when selecting for "successful" people without a degree.

That phantom comment was funny though.

Back
Top Bottom