Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

because it's only elite upper without back heel carbon fiber and no kevlar laces also and no icy translucent sole , anyway i just know they release those kind elite hybrid :smokin nice info

No other company has that kind of leverage in the basketball market, but every other company will be able to follow the trend once the standard is set. Think of it outside of the realm of sneakers for a moment. The vast majority of people know absolutely nothing about what high quality wine and liquor is supposed to be. It's been tested again and again that how people actually judge alcohol is by the price of the bottle. Similarly the vast majority of people (even the vast majority of people calling themselves sneakerheads) have no idea what actually goes into the production costs of a shoe, or how to empirically tell what the quality of a sneaker is. Once the standard is set that a high quality basketball sneaker (or bottle of wine, etc.) is supposed to cost X dollars then everything below that dollar amount is deemed low quality and "cheap." They become the new Payless sneakers that kids remember being disappointed getting instead of the new Jordans, Lebrons, [insert generational basketball star here]. Nike's been doing it for over a decade now with the Lebron line, slowly and steadily raising prices to the $180 base price we're at now. Their newest experiment is the huge price jump for the "technologically advanced" sneakers. The elite line this year and the new + line next year might flop harder than New Coke, but I doubt it. Especially if Nike manages to tap into the workout/diet craze in this country with these.
If Nike is successful with the Elite and + lines, then Adidas, Li Ning, Ball'n, UA, and every other manufacturer won't be far behind with their version. There's been a bit of talk about Adidas making the DRose III $160. Would that be possible if $160 hadn't become the baseline for retros and Lebrons over the last couple of years?

You hit the nail on the head with this post and your subsequent post on consumerism. Nike's set the bar high, so much so that the others have to be near or around it just to avoid being classified as 'Payless'.

I absolutely hate the direction that the last 5-7 pages has gone in. :smh:

Price points and other brands? How does this pertain to asking a former NIKE employee? (rhetorical question, please don't answer because I don't care)

Okay, so lets bring it back to ex Nike employees! Anyone remember this?
[h1]CHRIS WEBBER CALLS TIME OUT ON NIKE SHOE DEAL[/h1]
Published November 5, 1996

[color= rgb(102, 102, 102)]    Resize SmallResize NormalResize Larg[/color]   |  Print   |  Share   |    [color= rgb(102, 102, 102)][/color]

Code:
     The Bullets Chris Webber has "severed ties" with Nikebecause he says the company "refuses" to lower the price of itsbasketball shoe named after him, according to Frank Hughes of theWASHINGTON TIMES.  Webber's three-year deal with Nike recentlyran out, and his agent, Fallasha Erwin, said that they would notnegotiate a new deal because Nike "insisted" they continue tocharge $140 for the CWebb shoe, more than any other sneaker onthe market.  Erwin said he and Webber disagree with Nike's ideato target inner-city youths in an attempt to begin buying trendsthat move to the suburbs.  Erwin said they also didn't like theidea that the shoe could create violence between kids who had theshoe, and those who couldn't afford it.  Webber: "How can Icharge that [price] for my shoe when I speak to all those inner-city kids and preach to them?  How can my shoe cost more thanMichael Jordan's?"  Nike had no comment.  Erwin said with nocontract, Nike cannot manufacture or sell the CWebb.  Since thedeal ran out, Webber has been wore Converse's All-Star 2000.Erwin has called Converse about an endorsement, but Converse hasnot called back. For now, Webber blackens out the logo(WASHINGTON TIMES, 11/5).

One question I would like to ask the former Nike employee is about is accelerated wear testing on the sneakers. Does Nike actually do this and if so for how long?

So people come here to complain, instead of asking a question themselves? That sounds productive... :rolleyes

To employees (either current or former): Were there ever any attempts that you knew of where "corporate espionage", so to speak, occurred where somehow people were approached by other companies/3rd parties/etc. to basically leak information or steal design concepts for unreleased products for another rival company? Just curious to see if this occurs and if anyone could shed light on such... Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
So people come here to complain, instead of asking a question themselves? That sounds productive...
eyes.gif

To employees (either current or former): Were there ever any attempts that you knew of where "corporate espionage", so to speak, occurred where somehow people were approached by other companies/3rd parties/etc. to basically leak information or steal design concepts for unreleased products for another rival company? Just curious to see if this occurs and if anyone could shed light on such... Thanks in advance!
I did hear a story about someone I cant remember from what Category being found out and later fired for selling tech packages to another small company... but not one of the bigger one's. 

I cant remember details but it happened.

As far as selling... the espionage comes direct from the Factories when Tech packages are sent via the Nike server to the Factory server and early versions are then copied and used to make "variants"

They have caught up in the sense that "reverse engineering" doesnt happen anymore where the shoe is broken down and replicated like a seamstress would do. "Molds" of lasts are done but the theory that ACTUAL Molds of shoes are done and magically a shoe appears is incorrect. 

By the way... not that Phil Knight going into the Hall is thread relevant but he belongs in the Hall as much as many basketball players with the affect he and his company have had on the sport.

Im not sure if he's in a Running Hall of a Fame or if one exists but it should have been that one before any other of course.  Again.. not that I want to derail from questions being asked. Perhaps another thread could be started because I think Phil Knights imprint on Basketball would be a great discussion.

About another ex Nike employee...
Agassi finished 2005 ranked world no. 7, his 16th time in the year-end top-10 rankings, which tied Connors for the most times ranked in the top 10 at year's end. In 2005, Agassi left Nike  after 17 years and signed an endorsement deal with Adidas.[sup][46][/sup]  A major reason for Agassi leaving Nike was because Nike refused to donate to Agassi's charities, and Adidas was more than happy to do so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Agassi

...just in case someone says that I am making this up....
laugh.gif

I think the Agassi situation is well documented and he spoke very strongly on Nike not contributing to his charities. It shocked me to say the least.

So what exactly is the point- specifically your point? I look at the title of the thread and I wonder, how does this contribute to what the original intent of the thread was. I don't necessarily disagree with many of your points, but I wonder why you don't start your own thread entitled something like, "Everything that is wrong about Nike" or "Examples I can point to or reference that prove Nike is manipulative". I get that Nike clearly has some "integrity" issues and that they don't do things the way you or even I might like them to in many cases. I would say the same holds true for many majorly successful businesses throughout the world in many different categories. Doesn't make it right- doesn't make it ok- but that is reality.

Don't get me wrong- I am not telling you not to express your opinions and further back them with actual evidence, but I am just not sure this is the place. If I am completely out of line, someone feel free to correct me.

Proceed

I think the Agassi situation is well documented and he spoke very strongly on Nike not contributing to his charities. It shocked me to say the least.
Nope, it wasn't well documented. As was said earlier, supposedly I was exaggerating, lying, when I even brought this up, with someone even posting up how Nike is one of the most charitable businesses around.

Wait until I post the direct link showing how initially, Nike didn't want anything to do with Lance Armstrong's LiveStrong program.

Last edited:
So what exactly is the point- specifically your point? I look at the title of the thread and I wonder, how does this contribute to what the original intent of the thread was. I don't necessarily disagree with many of your points, but I wonder why you don't start your own thread entitled something like, "Everything that is wrong about Nike" or "Examples I can point to or reference that prove Nike is manipulative". I get that Nike clearly has some "integrity" issues and that they don't do things the way you or even I might like them to in many cases. I would say the same holds true for many majorly successful businesses throughout the world in many different categories. Doesn't make it right- doesn't make it ok- but that is reality.
Don't get me wrong- I am not telling you not to express your opinions and further back them with actual evidence, but I am just not sure this is the place. If I am completely out of line, someone feel free to correct me.
Proceed
The name of this thread is Ask a former Nike employee, not only ask about Nike positive Nike stuff. Many ex employee's now work at other companies now, then are more than willing to share their experiences, both pro and con.

The name of this thread is Ask a former Nike employee, not only ask about Nike positive Nike stuff. Many ex employee's now work at other companies now, then are more than willing to share their experiences, both pro and con.

All I'm saying man, is that I think we get the point now, post after post, the direction you are going in. What's the point. "De-glamorize" Nike and make people "see the TRUTH behind the facade?" People always have and always will have their opinions, biases, and feelings regardless of what you might throw at them.

I don't mind that you or someone else may have had less than ideal experiences working for any company, whether it be Nike or company XYZ, and certainly don't mind you expressing that. I don't mind that you may be jaded by it and feel the need to express that to others, but at this point, your point of view seems pretty clear and I don't really get what you get out of continuing to share it. Maybe it's just that. You wanna share. Free country - free speech- have at it, just not sure what the bigger purpose is here. Start a new thread, maybe start a new forum, but the bitter/cynical tone has gotta be better served doing something else maybe??

All I'm saying man, is that I think we get the point now, post after post, the direction you are going in. What's the point. "De-glamorize" Nike and make people "see the TRUTH behind the facade?" People always have and always will have their opinions, biases, and feelings regardless of what you might throw at them.
I don't mind that you or someone else may have had less than ideal experiences working for any company, whether it be Nike or company XYZ, and certainly don't mind you expressing that. I don't mind that you may be jaded by it and feel the need to express that to others, but at this point, your point of view seems pretty clear and I don't really get what you get out of continuing to share it. Maybe it's just that. You wanna share. Free country - free speech- have at it, just not sure what the bigger purpose is here. Start a new thread, maybe start a new forum, but the bitter/cynical tone has gotta be better served doing something else maybe??
My tone is only bitter to those who are on the side of Nike does everything right. For others, especially on this thread where many have applauded what I've stated, the honesty is appreciated. 

So, do you think that your suggestion is fair to those of us who actually like to discuss all sides of the picture?

Last edited:
Well now it's turned into a pissing match between you two so either stay on topic or PM each other how y'all feel about one another :smh:

Well now it's turned into a pissing match between you two so either stay on topic or PM each other how y'all feel about one another
mean.gif
We are adults having a discussion, a disagreement in a public forum. There isn't anything disrespectful about it, and we've both respectfully presented our positions, possibly to your dismay.

So since you want to know more about Nike Business, here's more info for you to dig into,
[h1]How activism forced Nike to change its ethical game[/h1]
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2012/jul/06/activism-nike

perhaps that will keep you busy.

This thread has heavily diverged from the original intent of "ask a former Nike basketball employee," in no small part because there weren't very many actual questions being asked. I haven't seen the original thread starter in here responding since the switch from yuku. It really has evolved into a general discussion of Nike's business and marketing practices as well as a q&a when a question does arise. Personally I like it as a change of pace from the lebron, kd, every other thread that's mainly just rehashing release dates, sizing, etc. with the occasional uptick of genuinely pertinent info around an actual release date.

Ultimately what I'm saying is that yes, this thread is not fulfilling its original intent, but there has been a lot of salient points made about Nike both pro and con and a relatively decent back and forth. Also, yes AKA/Longstroke's tone is... adversarial, especially on a forum where you can't hear him speak. I think we can all agree that his tone isn't adding much to the debate, but he does provide some pretty good info if you can manage to get past that. It's like reading a factually accurate political attack ad.

This thread has heavily diverged from the original intent of "ask a former Nike basketball employee," in no small part because there weren't very many actual questions being asked. I haven't seen the original thread starter in here responding since the switch from yuku. It really has evolved into a general discussion of Nike's business and marketing practices as well as a q&a when a question does arise. Personally I like it as a change of pace from the lebron, kd, every other thread that's mainly just rehashing release dates, sizing, etc. with the occasional uptick of genuinely pertinent info around an actual release date.
Ultimately what I'm saying is that yes, this thread is not fulfilling its original intent, but there has been a lot of salient points made about Nike both pro and con and a relatively decent back and forth. Also, yes AKA/Longstroke's tone is... adversarial, especially on a forum where you can't hear him speak. I think we can all agree that his tone isn't adding much to the debate, but he does provide some pretty good info if you can manage to get past that. It's like reading a factually accurate political attack ad.

i agree with u then i suggest longstroke to make new thread about that, that kind of response I WOULD APPRECIATE IT MUCH BETTER! than ruining somebody's thread and this way out of context already :smh:

i got your point longstroke!! i also feel about that especially years after years Nike dominate the whole sneaker game situation but i still prefer choose best of the best and never have any biased toward any brands. i can choose adidas, nike, reebok or maybe lining or any other shoes company depending what i want and of course my pocket .

but c'mon this thread about ask former employee of nike not pro-cons about nike running the business so better you make your presence somewhere else

But you see, some are skirting the real issue here! Tone does not matter, as in how do you determine someone's tone, especially when they are stating something that is factually correct, and it is something that many may not like to hear? That tone will always come off as being bitter, angry, or confrontational.

Let's take this thread for example, http://niketalk.com/t/505442/disgruntled-sneakerhead#post_16223853  then check the responses. Dude wrote this complaint to Nike as clear and concise as possible, and what happened? 

Edit: Watch what happens if there are quality issues with the LBJ X. This place will be flooded with even more opinions that's going to make many of you uncomfortable.

Last edited:
i agree with u then i suggest longstroke to make new thread about that, that kind of response I WOULD APPRECIATE IT MUCH BETTER! than ruining somebody's thread and this way out of context already
mean.gif

i got your point longstroke!! i also feel about that especially years after years Nike dominate the whole sneaker game situation but i still prefer choose best of the best and never have any biased toward any brands. i can choose adidas, nike, reebok or maybe lining or any other shoes company depending what i want and of course my pocket .
but c'mon this thread about ask former employee of nike not pro-cons about nike running the business so better you make your presence somewhere else
You seem to think that I am trying to convince you to support another brand, correct?

If that is the case, then you are incorrect. I personally don't care as to what you buy. However, when you say that Nike is the best, you do realize that you open up the floor for someone to challenge your opinion, right?

So what you are really saying in your comment above, is that you take issue with someone who has a differing opinion, than that of your own.

It doesn't sound like I am the one with the problem, now does it?

Back
Top Bottom