Benefits of working at Finish Line

I've worked at a Finishline for about a year and 8 months now. The discount is nice, even with the discount on food lunch comes out to no less than $8.00.

Pay is ****** even with commission. Infact when calculating my paycheck I don't even factor in commission, I just multiply minimum wage by hours worked. Unless you're a manager you'll barely crack minimum wage.

it's a good first or second job. It taught me to be confident, how to speak to all sorts of people, work well with managers you absolutely hate, and reach goals set for yourself. I messed up being there for so long and should have left by now. I really hope I get this job as a bank teller.

theres a difference between sales and customer service with incentives. I know plenty of people that have worked at FNL, Champs, and the Nike store- they gave very few damns and got exactly what they wanted out of their job because it served its purpose for the time. If you really wanna hustle and get into sales, then being an associate at a giant chain shoe store is the wrong place to be. I didn't mean to offend you if that's your career choice
Well said.

These mall jobs are entry level positions that most people take because they have no other alternatives. They don't take these jobs because they are 'sneakerheads'. They do what they are told to get their paychecks. Turnover is usually high because they will leave once they can secure a higher paying job elsewhere.

To get into sales that pay big, you need to be able to deal with stress and pressure. IMO when it comes to sales, you either have it or you don't. In the early 2000s when the economy was still doing well, a lot of dudes were making lots of money being loan officers to re-fi homes. No college education needed so a lot of guys jumped into it after high school. There are/were also a lot of car salesmen out there making good money because they know how to talk to people and get recommendations via word of mouth. The downfall is that the field is usually very volatile and when the economy tanks, they get hit the hardest.

I wanted to work at a shoe store really bad in high school when I was still heavily passionate about sneakers. I never got hired though :lol: A friend of mine got into the local FNL, and was there for two years. He got promoted to the assistant manager, but he was close to getting his BA degree and his manager was jealous because my friend was 10+ years younger, hungry and determined. He got fired on some BS stuff.

There are better companies that are ethical and pry heavily on customer service that you may want to look into that also promote internal promotions, such as Zappos and Nordstrom.

I appreciate the input, even though this is just a job for some money since I'm in school (not working here as a career).

you get to rub your balls on the new hyped up release and to be able to know when hypebeasts are licking their shoes that your ball sweat is in their mouth

I appreciate the input, even though this is just a job for some money since I'm in school (not working here as a career).
Nothing wrong with that at all, my man. I worked at a mortgage firm in high school part time so I can make money to buy shoes, and worked at Circuit City in college before going onto a professional careers once I obtained my degrees. Best of luck to you.

Side note, but if you're really interested in being in shoe sales, try applying at Nordstroms. I've heard VERY good things about their associates and some of the sneakers there are fairly decent. You won't have anything top of the line, but at least you'll get paid decent and have access to a decent range of options. At the very least, your pay there would make up for lack of a discount with the pay at FNL.

The stupid thing about working at Nordstrom: it's not competitive at all. Everyone takes turn selling in order to make it fair for all the associates.

Last edited:
Nordstrom seasonal is only commission. They tried to get me. I found work else where

Nordstrom seasonal is only commission. They tried to get me. I found work else where
It depends. Salon shoes make $$$$$. I believe it's 10% and you're selling Loubotins, Jimmy Choos, etc. Suppose you're selling a pair of $2,000 Louboutins; that's $200 in your pocket.

Nothing wrong with it though. The commission rate is usually pretty good. I worked at Sears in high school and made 7% on men's shoes & 10% on womens, boots, & their house brand. The pay wasn't great at the time, but it was almost $1.50 more than the minimum wage most of the rest of the store was making. I've heard Nordstroms is about the same and their shoes cost more, so you'll be making more too.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with it though. The commission rate is usually pretty good. I worked at Sears in high school and made 7% on men's shoes & 10% on womens, boots, & their house brand. The pay wasn't great at the time, but it was almost $1.50 more than the minimum wage most of the rest of the store was making. I've heard Nordstroms is about the same and their shoes cost more, so you'll be making more too.
Nordstrom is also very big on promoting within so a lot stay with the company for a long time. A lot of the SAs have a list of loyal customers and take good care of them.

My first job was as a telemarketer in high school for a mortgage company. We also got commission for the loans we help close, in addition to the minimum wage. My commission was easy 100% of my hourly wage.

Speaking of it...random rambling here, but a lot of stores did commission back in the old days, ie Circuit City :lol:

I worked there for 3 years. Save your self the trouble and don't.  the product they get is crap compared to champs and footlocker. The comission sucks and its no fun what so ever. I guess youll get a whole 30% off plus tax...

Cats that work in shoe stores got that high and mighty attitude
mean.gif
Same with a lot of these cats that work at Apple
mean.gif

Just be glad you dont work for the devil, Apple. How they dont pay commission is beyond me. 
They probably think its like shooting fish in a barrel :lol: it seems you just need to tender sales there. Customers come in and just buy. Pretty hard to get in as well from what I hear.

Back
Top Bottom