Biggie is NOT THE KING OF NY

Originally Posted by naughtywon

ok biggie is the best to ever do it... he's still runnin the game from his grave... the source is still dope... yall seen the new blaze mag?

just cuz jordan don't play no more don't mean da common consensus as da best to ever do it.

it's one thing to say he is not the King of NY... You could have a debate..But if he isn't the King of NY he is number 2 or 3.

But you called him one of "the dopest ever" and at the same time downplayed his whole career. It makes no sense..

Biggie > 99.9% of all rappers EVER

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Originally Posted by dunkaruu

Originally Posted by rudy

screw being the king of NY hes the best ever

this is what a lot of people mean when they say Big is the King of NY. Look if it's your opinion that his two albums are your favorite albums, that's cool, because that is subjective, but, to say that two albums warrants you full credit for bringing back a coast single- handedly and denying that there were others involved before AND afterwards in maintaining it, is ludicrous. Big 'pulled' yall out of being 'irrelevant' because NY was ready to be pulled out.it. NY wanted a hero, and they picked Big, but you can't give credit to Jay-z's success because Big helped him open see, if you did that, well..
You STILL haven't provided us with an answer to who revived the East Coast since it wasn't BIG...

BIG bringing the east back is somethin that is common knowledge, its just kids jump on NT a good 15 years after the fact and wanna talk like they was actually paying attention to hip hop when this #%#% was goin on.

Who's taking anything away from Jay Camel success, all I'm saying is recognize that blueprint he's using... Don't sit up here and suck Jay Camel +%@* then turn around and try to act as if BIG didn't revive the coast...
The source isnt important no more. It was from about the time they started to 02-03 but they lost respect from almost everybody.
The Source was the Hip Hop Bible...

Until Benzino pulled that corny #%#% with Eminem & 50... & they got rid of all their old staff...

You need to re-read the post of mine you just quoted because in it I state that Big pulled NY out of being irrelevant but revived it ? NY had been home to alive and vibrant rap scene, if the rest of the country didn't agree (or doesn't, as some do right now) it doesn't matter because it's not likeNY stops making dope music, it's just that media doesn't allways acknowledge it. You are saying that Big deserves the crown because he garnered yallapproval from the rest of the country when needing approval from others is wack. Was the source the bible of Hip-Hop back then ? YES, but more specifically, itwas the BIBLE OF NEW YORK RAP. They featured artist from other areas, but they were based in NY. Shoot, if Big is King of NY based on that, then The Sourceshould be the queen, cause it had just as much to do with the media revitalizion of NY as Big. They were a vital part of that process.

LL Cool J > BIG

wonder what Nay gon say now
laugh.gif

LL helped build hip-hop greatest label.
LL won battles, Biggie never battled anyone
LL was the first sex symbol, Biggie #FAIL
LL made Going Back To Cali... BIG swagger jacked him and released his own version.
Even Puff know LL was the King of NY... guess which artist had their album executive produced by Puff right after Big died... you guest it LL.

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

LL Cool J > BIG

laugh.gif

LL made Going Back To Cali... BIG swagger jacked him and released his own version.
Even Puff know LL was the King of NY... guess which artist had their album executive produced by Puff right after Big died... you guest it LL.

pretty compelling....problem is around i dunno....after 4,3,2,1 he stop caring about collaborating and dug his own grave in irrelevancy.

Y'all bringing too many irrelevant factors into this convo. Record sales and talent have nothing to do with it. If the wackest rapper from any city/statedeclares himself king and it's residents agree, that's all that matters. Big had enough charisma that when he declared himself king the averageNY'er agreed with him and still do.

That was sarcasm btw... just to ruffle Nay's feathers since those the 2 rappers he ride or die for not name 50 Cent

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

LL Cool J > BIG

laugh.gif

Artist: LL Cool J

Pick: "One More Chance" (original version), first verse
"You know the epilogue by James Todd Smith/ I get swift with the lyrical gift ... Here we go, here we go, but I'm not Domino/ I got the funk flow to make your drawers drop slow ... "

Where to find it: Ready to Die (1994)

Why: "He said my name: 'You know the epilogue by James Todd Smith, I get swift with the lyrical gift,' " LL said. "He had slicker lines, but c'mon man, he repped me. That's my favorite. I gotta go with that that one!"
Source

As far as L being the king, when has he ever claimed that?? He was WELL established in hip hop beforethere was such thing as "East Coast Hip Hop"... It was just hip hop, cause damn near everyone that mattered was from NY (with a FEW exceptions) until NWA became a nationwide success...

& Puff and LL's working relationship spanned atleast 3 years BEFORE the album he ex. produced... Remember the"Flava In Ya Ear" remix??
tired.gif

& L was doin alot of work with the Trackmasters on Mr Smith (who also did some work on Ready To Die)...

& BOTH versions of "Goin Back To Cali" are CLASSICS... (Even thoLL's>>> BIGs)

BIG never battled ANYone??
laugh.gif
...You're jokin tho.

OP...u have lost the arugment on if Big was ever King of NY...the answer is YES.

You still have a chance to win an argument on BIG STILL BEING the "CURRENT RULING" King of New York...that answer is NO

so spend the rest of ur time sayin how he hasnt been the King for the last imma say 8-10 years... not even the full almost 13 years since his death

Elvis died and he is still considered the King of Rock n Roll, Mike Jackson died and he is still considered the King of Pop,....the title of King of NY doesnot equal those two titles....the title of King of Rap however does...and that my friends is Jay-Z

the only way BIG can hold on to that title like Elvis n MJ and nobody else can claim King of NY is for him to do something no one else can match or evenfathom to accomplish....because he is no longer with us...he cant...so out of respect he keeps his title but is not the sole owner...but again King of NY nKing of Rap are two different things

Originally Posted by D723

I have a hard time believing you're older than 18.

Yeah, well, when you come into this post and all you can offer is a comment with no substance, it's not tough to see that you either aren't intelligent enough to say something relevant, or are too lazy, or BOTH.
Stop coming in to this post all high and mighty, it shows weakness and insecurity. I agree with that being a somewhat useless post, but what'sthe point of responding and insulting, you sound immature and mad about something in your life.

I agree Biggie is no longer the King of NY, how could he be, he's been dead for 12 years. I do agree though, that from what I've seen, read, and heardBiggie was the King from 94ish to '97.

I don't feel like arguing so for the most part I agree with HarlemontheRise, except for his excessive bashing of Jay. this sums up my argument:

to say Big wasnt the King of NY during his "short" career is foolish but to say NO ONE has equally won the right to posess that title is just as equally foolish
ya can't even name a better album in jay-z catalog that beats EITHER of BIG's albums.
No you can't, but you can name albums that are arguably better. Reasonable Doubt would be the only oneI would argue, I've never been a fan of Blueprint, but I'm sure it can be disputed as well. Although, it'd be stupid to argue when instead we couldenjoy the music.

Originally Posted by 13saldana13

hen you come into this post and all you can offer is a comment with no substance, it's not tough to see that you either aren't intelligent enough to say something relevant, or are too lazy, or BOTH.
Stop coming in to this post all high and mighty, it shows weakness and insecurity. I agree with that being a somewhat useless post, but what's the point of responding and insulting, you sound immature and mad about something in your life.

I want people to contribute to this post, not do put downs. With that said, I admit I was harsh, but he wasn't the only one coming in spewingone-line-post-number-boosters. It's not cool to do that when others are actually contributing, whether or not I agree with them.

except for his excessive bashing of Jay.
I'm NOT bashing Jay Camel... I'm just tellingthe truth, there's 0 lies in the %*@+ I'm posting...

Now how many cats can say that about their posts in THIS thread (or the majority of the %!%$%@%% on NT)

I'm NOT bashing Jay Camel... I'm just telling the truth, there's 0 lies in the %*@+ I'm posting...

Now how many cats can say that about their posts in THIS thread (or the majority of the %!%$%@%% on NT)

I agree, I just never call him Camel.

To the OP, I feel you.

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

OP...u have lost the arugment on if Big was ever King of NY...the answer is YES.

You still have a chance to win an argument on BIG STILL BEING the "CURRENT RULING" King of New York...that answer is NO

so spend the rest of ur time sayin how he hasnt been the King for the last imma say 8-10 years... not even the full almost 13 years since his death

Elvis died and he is still considered the King of Rock n Roll, Mike Jackson died and he is still considered the King of Pop,....the title of King of NY does not equal those two titles....the title of King of Rap however does...and that my friends is Jay-Z

the only way BIG can hold on to that title like Elvis n MJ and nobody else can claim King of NY is for him to do something no one else can match or even fathom to accomplish....because he is no longer with us...he cant...so out of respect he keeps his title but is not the sole owner...but again King of NY n King of Rap are two different things

Thank you for sharing that. When people say, "King of New York", to a lot of people, that means King of Rap.

I'm NOT bashing Jay Camel... I'm just telling the truth, there's 0 lies in the %*@+ I'm posting...

Harlem, why do you always call Jay, 'Camel' ? Thank you for sharing that. When people say, "King of New York", to a lot of people, that meansKing of Rap.

THE THREAD CRASHER.... SWAG DONOR IS HERE.... I say big is the king because of his influence over the rap culture and def in NYC... and someone said biggie waspop on his second album... such dummies but camelface jiggaman did the same thing but to no avail

Originally Posted by jthagreat

I think Big is/was the King and continue to hold the crown of "King of New York"

When a King passes, he doesnt lose his distinction as the King, he keeps it.

But another person can also become King, and i believe Jay has done that.

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Y'all bringing too many irrelevant factors into this convo. Record sales and talent have nothing to do with it. If the wackest rapper from any city/state declares himself king and it's residents agree, that's all that matters. Big had enough charisma that when he declared himself king the average NY'er agreed with him and still do.
This I can agree w/ however. There comes a time where people have to let go of the past and crown a new king. BIG was nice, I can't deny that,nobody can but to say he is still the King of NY isn't fair because he's not alive to defend the crown from any new comers. And like I said, when u diethey make u a martyr, especially if u go before ur "time".

I'll say that BIG WAS the King of NY, he will still warrant that title since no one took it away from him, but it's time for NYers to choose a new kingbecause sayin BIG is still the king is unfair.

Had Hov died after the BP, would he have been considered the current King after BIG?

Idk, How bout we start all over and just have a discussion about who is the current king of different regions

i think we have to look at it differently, like if Snoop had died after Doggystyle dropped, like in 93'-94 everybody would have claimed him to be one ofthe G.O.A.T.S, same story as biggie brought his coast back, made death row records, lyrical as never seen, swag on point, blah blah blah... Biggie=Snoop afterDoggystyle... and we all know how snoops music career ended, or is ending. i dont think anybody thinks he's even top 10.. hell, most think he should stopmaking these damm repetitive records... so who knows what could have been... imho NAS is the King of NY. dude never slacks, and keeps it realer than the otherso-called king of NY

Back
Top Bottom