Black Culture Discussion Thread

im talking about the statistic that black men are marrying black women at a lower rate than they are marrying us. Do you have anything to say on that my brother?

Lol. I'm messin with you bro.

IMO, I think a good portion of this is because of environment and opportunity that largely goes unnoticed.

If a brother goes through a predominately white high school then he's most likely is going to be attracted to white women. So, if it is possible, I would encourage parents to find a balance of black exposure during those developing years so that the young brother won't think that white is right or the only option.

I would also encourage black girls/women to pursue technical professions. In the section of downtown Philadelphia that I work, finding a black professional black woman is like trying to shiny hunt in pokemon. There are mostly technical and business professions in the area and honestly its a sea of mayonnaise here. If your a brother in these professions then you run into white women like zubats in Mt Moon. Traditionally black women are discouraged from anything math related which in talking to educators they have informed me that this leads them away from fields like engineering where there are a decent amount of brothers but alot more non-black dating options.

The same goes for the gym as well. Encourage sisters to workout so that demographic of brothers are exposed to them as well.

There is still the obvious of self-hate and trauma that causes disparity in the black marriage rates but I personally found environment to also be a factor among my friends.

Lol. I'm messin with you bro.

IMO, I think a good portion of this is because of environment and opportunity that largely goes unnoticed.

If a brother goes through a predominately white high school then he's most likely is going to be attracted to white women. So, if it is possible, I would encourage parents to find a balance of black exposure during those developing years so that the young brother won't think that white is right or the only option.

I would also encourage black girls/women to pursue technical professions. In the section of downtown Philadelphia that I work, finding a black professional black woman is like trying to shiny hunt in pokemon. There are mostly technical and business professions in the area and honestly its a sea of mayonnaise here. If your a brother in these professions then you run into white women like zubats in Mt Moon. Traditionally black women are discouraged from anything math related which in talking to educators they have informed me that this leads them away from fields like engineering where there are a decent amount of brothers but alot more non-black dating options.

The same goes for the gym as well. Encourage sisters to workout so that demographic of brothers are exposed to them as well.

There is still the obvious of self-hate and trauma that causes disparity in the black marriage rates but I personally found environment to also be a factor among my friends.

coulda sworn this same graphic was already posted...there are so many angles to this, as to render generalizations or explanations about it somewhat lacking and unproductive. sure there could be a mismatching of profession(s) and/or interests between of demographics of black men & women at various stages in life, (tho i don't think this 'problem' is because of differences in occupational selection or propensity to go gym) sure some black men (and women) may grow up or work in environments where they are just around more other non-black folk but people tend to find partners they are attracted to in spite of those type of mismatches. if anything you might expect that black women should have more opportunity to marry non black men as black women tend to outnumber black men in things like going to college and also in many professional settings, tho this prolly has a good amount of variation depending on the place...

there is also a reality that many black women, at least by the stuff i read in the media (and i do tend think it plays out in what i see in the world as well to some extent), seem to be out achieving/performing black men (at least in the aggregate at a certain level, though maybe not on an individual level as successful as the most successful black men---tho i do remember reading some articles that 'interpreted' some statistics to infer that black women were the most degree'd up/educated demographic in the u.s), which might be leading to a situation where the perception is there just aren't enough 'marriageable' black men? women, as very general rule don't tend to marry down, factor in too the numbers of black men caught up in the legal system. then you also have those infamous studies that point to black men (and asian women) to be most likely to date outside their 'race' (conversely with black women & asian men least likely) which may exacerbate the aforementioned eligibility mismatch between (maybe especially for professional) black women & black men, where 'professional' black men just have more options of women generally than do similar professional black women do options of men?

i'm not sure you can really come to any single conclusion about that disparity, it is up to a confluence of so many things. ultimately i think people just like who likes them, yes the cloud/pall of the pervasiveness of 'european standards of beauty' around the world does hang over this topic and is definitely in full effect, still it is exceedingly difficult to really disentangle it from the fact that in matters of love people tend to like who likes them. we don't really control who we attract/are attracted to/like/love...consider also that generally, the expectation is on men to approach women/do the courting (so it could very well be that this marriage disparity is generally the case where men tend to be more aggressive about having a variety in their partners whereas women tend to be less so in terms of actually seeking out variety) and if you ask most black women about this they generally say while they may be more attracted to black men they would be open to dating non-black men but are not often even approached by them...

coulda sworn this same graphic was already posted...there are so many angles to this, as to render generalizations or explanations about it somewhat lacking and unproductive. sure there could be a mismatching of profession(s) and/or interests between of demographics of black men & women at various stages in life, (tho i don't think this 'problem' is because of differences in occupational selection or propensity to go gym) sure some black men (and women) may grow up or work in environments where they are just around more other non-black folk but people tend to find partners they are attracted to in spite of those type of mismatches. if anything you might expect that black women should have more opportunity to marry non black men as black women tend to outnumber black men in things like going to college and also in many professional settings, tho this prolly has a good amount of variation depending on the place...

there is also a reality that many black women, at least by the stuff i read in the media (and i do tend think it plays out in what i see in the world as well to some extent), seem to be out achieving/performing black men (at least in the aggregate at a certain level, though maybe not on an individual level as successful as the most successful black men---tho i do remember reading some articles that 'interpreted' some statistics to infer that black women were the most degree'd up/educated demographic in the u.s), which might be leading to a situation where the perception is there just aren't enough 'marriageable' black men? women, as very general rule don't tend to marry down, factor in too the numbers of black men caught up in the legal system. then you also have those infamous studies that point to black men (and asian women) to be most likely to date outside their 'race' (conversely with black women & asian men least likely) which may exacerbate the aforementioned eligibility mismatch between (maybe especially for professional) black women & black men, where 'professional' black men just have more options of women generally than do similar professional black women do options of men?

i'm not sure you can really come to any single conclusion about that disparity, it is up to a confluence of so many things. ultimately i think people just like who likes them, yes the cloud/pall of the pervasiveness of 'european standards of beauty' around the world does hang over this topic and is definitely in full effect, still it is exceedingly difficult to really disentangle it from the fact that in matters of love people tend to like who likes them. we don't really control who we attract/are attracted to/like/love...consider also that generally, the expectation is on men to approach women/do the courting (so it could very well be that this marriage disparity is generally the case where men tend to be more aggressive about having a variety in their partners whereas women tend to be less so in terms of actually seeking out variety) and if you ask most black women about this they generally say while they may be more attracted to black men they would be open to dating non-black men but are not often even approached by them...

Lol. Bro, I prefaced my post at the beginning as IMO (in my opinion) to deliberately separate myself from any conclusion and just stated my recent experiences on the subject.

I agree that the disparity is way too complicated for any conclusions.

But due to the complexity of the issue I support sharing personalized experiences to assist others that are facing dating issues in the black community. Like black dating is different from city to city. The people and cultures are different so anyone aspiring to black marriage will need to take that into account. Also matching black lifestyles should be taken into account due to how vastly different they can be and can create divisions among black men and women. I bought the profession and gym subjects up because those are major themes that are reoccurring among the black men and women that approach me on the subject. I think we are on the same page on the major picture but our lenses are slightly different.

Though I will discourage entertaining the medias perception of black marriage(or single men or single women) because it deliberately places a magnifying glass on the worst cases. And if your looking for something bad to say about anything black then you will easily find it and though there are plenty of "role model black marriages" (I'm using this term very loosely), why would any form of media cover it for any other reason then to sensationalize it. In my personal experience at the age of 31 I believe I know tons of black married couples. But you won't here about them taking care of business as much as you will hear from bitter and/or broken men and women.

Since I'm already on the soapbox.

In general, IMO, I think there is an issue on black perception. We tend to focus on what wrong or whats broken in our society rather than supporting whats right. Like this topic is based on a generic graph and you mentioned various articles discussing disparity however, there is not really much focus on what "correct"(another loose term) black marriage and relationships look like. What's the story behind a successful marriage or relationship? What qualities did that couple look for? Where they superficial? Were they friends? What did they overcome?

I was very fortunate to have a elder/pastor(though I am not Christian) pull me to the side before I got married to assist me in aligning my perspective before I tied the knot. But we both agreed that typically our community doesn't look that deeply on the positive and spotlight strictly on the negative. All that to say if anyone is looking for the broken in our community then log in to any media outlet and I'm sure you will find it but I will challenge them that there is also an abundance of positive if you take a little more time to find it and it's a good resource for developing the individual and others.

Commentary on some of the comments that we're made at Aretha's funeral about so-called black women NOT being able to raise a boy to be a man.

This is one “concern” I’ve had in the back of my mind about moving to Colorado and raising kids out there. My girl and I plan to relocate there in a couple years. I want my kids to be well exposed if not well rounded. By that I really mean that when it comes to them making decisions, they made it after considering their choices and simply knowing they had choices.

I’m hoping we can find enough opportunities for black exposure in Colorado. I don’t care what race my kids date. But it would sting a little bit if it doesn’t look like they are even considering their own because of lack of exposure in general.

This is one “concern” I’ve had in the back of my mind about moving to Colorado and raising kids out there. My girl and I plan to relocate there in a couple years. I want my kids to be well exposed if not well rounded. By that I really mean that when it comes to them making decisions, they made it after considering their choices and simply knowing they had choices.

I’m hoping we can find enough opportunities for black exposure in Colorado. I don’t care what race my kids date. But it would sting a little bit if it doesn’t look like they are even considering their own because of lack of exposure in general.

I feel you. From what I here, there is a decent low key black community in Denver. Like you will need to search them out but they are very supportive when you find them. I also hear that Denver is more diverse then what people expect.

Dr Umar said it best

"China is going into these black nations, promising their government leaders millions of dollars to sell out their country, the government officials will retire and go off somewhere overseas living a life of luxury and will leave their poor black country behind to deal with the Chinese for the foreseeable future"

Russian 2016 Influence Operation Targeted African-Americans

“The most prolific I.R.A. efforts on Facebook and Instagram specifically targeted black American communities and appear to have been focused on developing black audiences and recruiting black Americans as assets,” the report says. Using Gmail accounts with American-sounding names, the Russians recruited and sometimes paid unwitting American activists of all races to stage rallies and spread content, but there was a disproportionate pursuit of African-Americans, it concludes.

The report says that while “other distinct ethnic and religious groups were the focus of one or two Facebook Pages or Instagram accounts, the black community was targeted extensively with dozens.” In some cases, Facebook ads were targeted at users who had shown interest in particular topics, including black history, the Black Panther Party and Malcolm X. The most popular of the Russian Instagram accounts was @blackstagram, with 303,663 followers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/17/us/politics/russia-2016-influence-campaign.html

Man shut yo goofy *** up with all dat yip yap....
Ole fear mongering ***......
Somebody remove this clown from the thread already:smh:

dude ****

If you have been paying attention anywhere, China is buying out whats left of Africa. They already own Jamaica and most of the Caribbean by predatory loans.

I want to be optimistic, but it just looks gloomy everywhere :frown::frown::frown::frown:

:smh::smh::smh:

Once again, I can't blame China for doing what's best for them and their people. Blame solely lies on these corrupt African leaders who are making themselves rich to the detriment of their people.

China just isn't setting up shop in Africa. They're all over.

Pretty much, not sure there's anything in Jamaica they don't own at this point. Messed up thing is any number of countries could've came up like they did if they embraced manufacturing too.

bro, this one still hurts

24215DC700000578-0-image-a-5_1418853486679.jpg

Junius Stinney was executed at 14 for a crime he didn't commit, then 75 years later the state of South Carolina apologized

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stinney

bro, this one still hurts

24215DC700000578-0-image-a-5_1418853486679.jpg

Junius Stinney was executed at 14 for a crime he didn't commit, then 75 years later the state of South Carolina apologized

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stinney

"Stinney was so small compared to the usual adult prisoners that law officers had difficulty securing him to the frame holding the electrodes. Stinney was made to sit on a Bible in order to fit properly into the chair. The state's adult-sized face-mask did not fit him; as he was hit with the first 2,400-volt surge of electricity, the mask covering his face slipped off.[18] Stinney was declared dead within four minutes of the initial electrocution. From the time of the murders until Stinney's execution, 83 days had passed"

I remember hearing in college that because of his size it more like torture. The people present could smell him burning alive from the electric shocks not killing him humanely(the irony).

Back
Top Bottom