Buying a CD vs itunes download?

I have been looking for answers to this question (downloading .mp3's vs. ripping) for a while now and from what I understand it is mainly a question of equipment as opposed to the file itself.

I've read that FLAC and ALAC are the best to go with in terms of ripping because they are essentially indistinguishable from CD quality music files. I assume it goes the same for downloading (although I'm not sure which programs for both computers and mobile devices play FLAC.)

My questions are; how can I play FLAC on my phone I use ALAC with my iPod and are mp3's a bottom of the barrel type of file?

Depends on the quality of the mp3. While there are a lot of lower quality mp3s out there(audio ripped from youtube as an example) most people would be hard pressed to try and reliably distinguish the difference between v0 mp3 and flac. As far as how to play it on your phone, it depends on the phone. I do know android phones have supported flac since Android 3.1 which came out 05/11. I know that people use Andless and PowerAmp app.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom