Buying a macbook pro.

If it's in a suitable condition for you, go for it.

You need to purchase that specific mac's restore discs though.

You'll most likely need to restore your mac at some point in time.

If you don't have the restore discs, your mac will become useless.

Search ebay for the specific mac's restore discs.

In fact, I would suggest that the first thing you do is to restore the mac.

The restore discs allow you to restore the mac to it's factory settings and the restore apps disc restores the original apps that came with the comp.

Make sure you tell the seller to remove the password on the comp.
He do not need the restore disk

1. the restore software is built in. Hold down cmd R at startup to access it

2. Lion and mountain is diskless everything is down by downloading through the app store

One thing though mt lion is $20 which this mac have. He will have to repurchase it under his apple id because the software is registered to the previous owner apple id so yes make sure he give you a $20 discount because your going to need to repurchase mt lion in case you want to restore which at some point in time you will have too. He will not be able to restore mt lion at all until he repurchase it because it is tied to a apple id

Dont worry about the password, that is easy to remove and since you have applecare we can walk you through it is very simple. I'm shocked how easy it is to change or remove the password vs window mac. Dont ever assume your mac user account is protected with password because it is easy to remove/change and only takes a 5 min call to applecare

SSD drives are worlds faster

The difference in speed is negligible to the average consumer.

I didn't read through the whole thread and I'm sure it's already been addressed, but that statement tells me that you've never actually used a SSD. I have a 3+ year old laptop that I was thinking about getting rid of and upgrading, but I bought a SSD on a whim and that made a WORLD of a difference. My laptop isn't even capable of taking advantage of SATA III speeds (only have SATA II connectors) and the difference is night and day. It's extended the life of my laptop for at least 2 more years.

I don't know if the MBP has a user upgradable hard drive (knowing Apple, I doubt it), but if it does, you should buy one that comes with a HDD and swap it with a SSD of your own choosing knowing how manufacturers overcharge for upgrades.

Oh, so then I won't need the discs then. I read something about running the hardware test with the discs. Is that accessible from the command R boot up sequence?

Edit - Just found I need to hold the D key from boot up and it should bring me to it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Thanks for all the help iYen.
I work for apple. Listen to me.

Holding down the D key at startup will boot you into the hardware test. I wouldnt worry about the hardware since you have applecare

Holding C will boot from a disk

The software is tied to a apple id so that would be the seller apple id. You cant restore or reinstall the software without having his apple id. You will need to repurchase it, its $20 in the app store, make sure he give you a $20 discount for this. Make sure you advised him of this because customers call in and are shocked because they have to repurchase and cry about it lol

SSD drives are the bomb. SSD are like flash drives but they are expensive. The new IMACS have 2 drives, a SSD and regular harddrive. The ssd harddrive is used to boot windows and other software the user use the most. SSD drive will boot the OS in like 3 seconds

ALL in ALL, macs use same hardware as a PC or laptop. Your just paying for the name..  I like the Vizio laptops which look like macs and are good quality. https://www.google.com/search?q=viz...qrsAT6xYDYCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&***=796  but cheaper

I would get this Vizo for $500 anyday over the mac and the hardware is the same. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-15-6-...ebook-Laptop-CT15-A1-/310672573060#vi-content

Like I said your paying for the name

Last edited:
Reactions: wr
I work for apple. Listen to me.

Holding down the D key at startup will boot you into the hardware test. I wouldnt worry about the hardware since you have applecare
Holding C will boot from a disk

The software is tied to a apple id so that would be the seller apple id. You cant restore or reinstall the software without having his apple id. You will need to repurchase it, its $20 in the app store, make sure he give you a $20 discount for this. Make sure you advised him of this because customers call in and are shocked because they have to repurchase and cry about it lol

SSD drives are the bomb. SSD are like flash drives but they are expensive. The new IMACS have 2 drives, a SSD and regular harddrive. The ssd harddrive is used to boot windows and other software the user use the most. SSD drive will boot the OS in like 3 seconds

ALL in ALL, macs use same hardware as a PC or laptop. Your just paying for the name..  I like the Vizio laptops which look like macs and are good quality. https://www.google.com/search?q=vizio+laptop&client=firefox-a&hs=BGL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:wow:fficial&channel=fflb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kPUjUrjVDoqrsAT6xYDYCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&***=796  but cheaper

I would get this Vizo for $500 anyday over the mac and the hardware is the same. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-15-6-...ebook-Laptop-CT15-A1-/310672573060#vi-content

Like I said your paying for the name

When buying the software, will I be receiving a disc, or an app through the app store?
As well, how was my battery? It's at a little over 200 cycles. When should I go about replacing it?
Also, I was wondering about the warranty? If I buy ram and try and put it in myself, does that void the warranty?

When buying the software, will I be receiving a disc, or an app through the app store?
As well, how was my battery? It's at a little over 200 cycles. When should I go about replacing it?
Also, I was wondering about the warranty? If I buy ram and try and put it in myself, does that void the warranty?
Its a app man it will download

I can check your battery later today. Putting ram in does NOT void your warranty

I didn't read through the whole thread and I'm sure it's already been addressed, but that statement tells me that you've never actually used a SSD. I have a 3+ year old laptop that I was thinking about getting rid of and upgrading, but I bought a SSD on a whim and that made a WORLD of a difference. My laptop isn't even capable of taking advantage of SATA III speeds (only have SATA II connectors) and the difference is night and day. It's extended the life of my laptop for at least 2 more years.

I don't know if the MBP has a user upgradable hard drive (knowing Apple, I doubt it), but if it does, you should buy one that comes with a HDD and swap it with a SSD of your own choosing knowing how manufacturers overcharge for upgrades.

It's a chore to replace, but if you've got a steady hand and a decent techtools screwdriver kit you can get it done quickly.

I checked the mac info. I see you got it transferred to your name on the 1st, you and the owner called in. So everything is good and the applecare is in your name now

What I dont understand why were you asking pre-buying questions when you have already bought the used mac in question..lol

You started this thread 1 week 2 days ago but bought the mac and had the APP transferred on the 1st

Your mac model have  a 1000 max cycle count before its considered dead
how can i check my iphone battery cycle count?????
and for christmas my girl wants a laptop
im thinking of getting a mbp or mbair
just a entry level she just gonna use it to use
nothing major surf the web youtube maybe upload her youtube vids MAYBE try and edit her vidoes to post to youtube but thats a MAYBE
what would u suggest honestly

how can i check my iphone battery cycle count?????
and for christmas my girl wants a laptop
im thinking of getting a mbp or mbair
just a entry level she just gonna use it to use
nothing major surf the web youtube maybe upload her youtube vids MAYBE try and edit her vidoes to post to youtube but thats a MAYBE
what would u suggest honestly
Get her a macbook air 11  or 13 inch

if your jailbroken its easy otherwise they are are articles on  the web

So I've been lightweight thinking about purchasing a MacBook pro & was looking on Craigslist and came across a guy selling a retina 13" i-5, 8gb DDR3, 256 SSD, and a few of the expensive programs I'm not sure if I'll use. This is the current model that's runs for 1700 n he's asking for 1150 but I got him down to 1030. Should I cop?

^ Personally, I'd wait for the Retina MBP refresh w/ Haswell that should be coming very soon.  Battery life is phenomenal on the latest MBA, so I think waiting would be worth it.

Then again, you won't ever get a new Retina MBP for that cheap.  

How much warranty does it have left?  Applecare?  I ask that because you can get a refurb for $1359 right now straight from Apple.  It may be worth the extra $300+ to know that you're backed by their 1 yr warranty, good customer service and eligibility for Applecare.  Plus you know you're getting a MBP that's basically brand new--you never know for certain what you're getting when you buy used from CL.    

Got offered a macbook pro for $850. Brand new, authentic - the dude selling it is legit, hes already sold me a new mini ipad for $300 with a case before.

Amazon product ASIN B007472CIK

Should I wait until the new model drops or buy this?

Last edited:
The MBP I bought in summer 2009 is still working perfectly.

I recommend getting an InCase for it, just to keep it clean. I also had AppleCare, but never had to bring the MBP in. Only had to replace the battery once (last month).

Anyone ever put a new hard drive into an old macbook? The hd for my black macbook was corrupted and i'm looking to put a hybrid seagate momentus drive into it. The sizes matchup but the sata is 6.0 and my macbook can only handle 1.5. Most of my research said it should work fine while I found one person who said hybrid drives didn't work on theirs. I'll try it out and hopefully it works.

he raised the price to 925. should i do it?
no. get this instead which is  much better then a mac and cheaper. Bigger SSD flash drive, I7 chip , full hd. You cant beat that!

http://www.vizio.com/notebook/overview

And what type of macbook pro is he selling. Its hard to say we do no the specs. There are many different type macbooks with different specs. Whats the serial number

Last edited:

Apple sheeps, look at this Vizio laptop and compare it to a macbook price , the vizio specs is killing the macbook!

http://www.vizio.com/notebook/specs
Build quality on those vizio computers is horrible, they need to stick to making TVs. I copped a 27" i7 2.3ghz "all-in-one" for $600 just because it was cheap. POS had a power failure on the 3rd day of use. Returned it with the quickness.

Last edited:

Build quality on those vizio computers is horrible, they need to stick to making TVs. I copped a 27" i7 2.3ghz "all-in-one" for $600 just because it was cheap. POS had a power failure on the 3rd day of use. Returned it with the quickness.
I can say the same thing about macs as well. I work Apple tech. Customer come in by the loads who buy macs and they wont boot or turn on and most of the time it usually within 1 week. The salty look on their face after paying 2k for a device and it wont boot/powerup after using it for 2 days.

They be like i think im just going to get a windows with the salty face, as usally I just say Ok

mac have its share of problems and recalls as well

Back
Top Bottom