car accident screws me over

alright so last night i took my 2 little cousins to go see Ironman 2
pimp.gif
. once we finished watching it and got back in the car we had our little problem. before i backed out of my parking space i saw this dude in a taurus drive pass us towards the exit. so then i shift to reverse and back out completely. in that brief moment where im not in motion and changing gears to drive off. i suddenly get hit in the back right by the dude in the taurus. 
mad.gif
 dude said he didnt see me. im like, im in the damn open, how the hell you're not gonna see me. he said he was backing up to get in a parking spot he passed up. i mean, im not at fault cause i wasnt even in motion when it happened. since then i had to call the insurance company add myself as a driver and our payment on the 2002 honda civic went from $330 to $930 for the 6 months.
eek.gif
 and thats cause im 17. i feel like thats crazy money since im the once paying for the insurance on the car. i just got a job and i feel like all the money i do earn is for this car insurance + i have to pay back my mom the money for the car + i have to save money for other crap. i just feel like its the end of world. dont get me wrong it may not be much for others or for you but i only have my mom only and i wasnt born with a golden spoon in my mouth. 
how much do you 17 year old nters pay for your car insurance? im not sure if thats how much people pay on average but i feel like i just got screwed
indifferent.gif

Unfortunately that's just the way it is. Young people get in more accidents so the premiums are higher. You're not paying an outrageous amount IMO - I used to pay like that. Just wait 15 years and it becomes really really cheap.

Yes, the increase is a lot, but what do you expect, you got in an accident? you want them to give you a discount and a high five?

Young, male drivers even without accidents pay a lot for insurance, add in an accident and that's what you get.

When I was between 17-19 I think my insurance hit $8,000 per year for full coverage driving a Camaro Z28 (State Farm). It's just something you have to deal with as a young male teenage driver. We are a statistical liability.

On average I got into an accident or got a ticket every 6 months. Eventually we switched to some no-name insurance company with just liability insurance (absolute minimum most states require you to have), and just hoped that I wouldn't get into any more accidents. Sometimes that's a gamble you have to take. A 2002 Civic isn't worth much, so try considering dropping comp/collision coverage, get strict liability, and then increase your deductibles so your monthly premium goes down.

I just wrote my insurance check...$160/month...that's $1,920 / year to cover two vehicles w/ full coverage and a home owner's policy. What you're paying isn't actually that bad.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Yes, the increase is a lot, but what do you expect, you got in an accident? you want them to give you a discount and a high five?

Young, male drivers even without accidents pay a lot for insurance, add in an accident and that's what you get.
yeah, but i wasnt at fault. i mean i wouldnt even consider this an accident on my part. my car wasnt even moving. this dude didnt even check his mirrors or anything. he just let it rip. dude had his iphone in his hand with his ear phones in and everything. Dude even told me this was de ja vu. i just gave him the 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by politicsasusual

Originally Posted by eaalto

On average I got into an accident or got a ticket every 6 months.

eek.gif
Seriously though, how is that even possible...
there was this one chick from my high school who totaled i believe 3 cars within a 2 year span, and got into an accident probably every couple of months

Originally Posted by ago225

Originally Posted by Big J 33

yeah, but i wasnt at fault. i mean i wouldnt even consider this an accident on my part. my car wasnt even moving. this dude didnt even check his mirrors or anything. he just let it rip. dude had his iphone in his hand with his ear phones in and everything. Dude even told me this was de ja vu. i just gave him the 
indifferent.gif

Unfortunately that doesn't matter to insurance companies - if you keep getting into accidents that aren't your fault they still don't want you - because you still cost them money.

I haven't made a claim in about 10 years and I pay $450 a year for full cover. Just being older makes most of the difference though - as soon as I got to 25 my premiums went down considerably.

eek.gif

I don't want to call it bad luck, but eh, #+!@ happens.  Lesson learned - never give a teenager a ~300 HP car.

Eh that's still cheap.

You dont even wanna know how much insurance for a person your age is in NY.

Why did you even call the insurance company right away ? Did you even try to work something out with the guy that hit you ?

How did that work with the insurance though ? You called and added yourself as a driver and then you went "oh btw, I got into a accident ?
laugh.gif

Sounds like it didnt just go up just because of the accident. It's the accident + you adding yourself, a 17 yr old driver.

But ya what you gonna do ? #%#! happens...

my insurance on my 98 prelude was like 600/month... clean record.
this was when i was 19. i got a quote before buying the car and they said 300/month which was reasonable since i was on my own policy. got the car... got the bill... got the excuse "well we are just as surprised as you are that your rate went up that bad"

luckily, i was referred to another company (statefarm) that lowered it for me after 3 months.

but i definitely know the feeling OP has.
every paycheck i had was 80% insurance/car note... 10% gas money... 10% food. can u say broke?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by needsomejays

eek.gif
there was this one chick from my high school who totaled i believe 3 cars within a 2 year span, and got into an accident probably every couple of months

theres the problem

Back
Top Bottom