Community College Vol.Is it good?

Originally Posted by Been Here

Thats my plan.

kinda don't know what to expect but I will be going to Santa Monica College

SMC!
2fa26f62d5803c793da2847474432e8a18996b6b.gif
2fa26f62d5803c793da2847474432e8a18996b6b.gif
it's a good school, i go to PCC.

I would really recommend it. As long as you don't get complacent and end up staying there, it's a great way to start your college education. Also,it's generally a lot cheaper than college/university.

Like others said it's a cheaper way to get into the college of your choice but remember you gotta stay focused or else you'll be stuck there. So manypeople I know have gone and ended up staying here in their parent's houses because they couldn't stay on track.

I think its the best way to go. Your getting your basic general requirements out of the way for usually less than half the price of a university. Then, theadvantage is that you can usually seamlessly transfer in. I don't know about other states, but in Maryland the state universities all have partnershipswith the community colleges so after you get 60 credits and in good standing, your all but guaranteed admission. But you can transfer from a CC at anytime. Ifits less than 30 credits, you just have to include your HS transcript. All in all, its an easy way to save money while also having more freedom to workpart-time or do whatever else that you need to do...

1-How long till you transfer out to another college?
2-Is it easy to transfer to another college?Like do they accept you right away or do they deny you because you came from a CC?
3-For those who did their whole 2year or 4 year regiment at a CC,is it easy to find a job and/or do you get a lower standard because you came from a CC.
4-Is it decent?Like is it like a normal college?
5-Is it expensive?
6-What college you transfered and what did you major in that other college(or)what did you major in a CC?

1. 2 years, but most of my friends did three plus b/c they did not take the right classes. make sure you find out exactly what you need to takeAND speak to a councelor. I say do both b/c i no many people who only listened to the councelor and they got the wrong advice. don't depend on anotherperson

2. easier...i got into UCLA and there is no way i could of done that out of hs

3. dont no yet, im a 4th year going to law school. but it was very easy to get an internship. no one cared at all

4. not normal at all. pretty much your w/ the people who slacked off at college. just make sure you don't fall into the same habbits as hs. step ur game up

5. like 26 bucks a unit

6. in ucla im a sociology...in jc I saw polisci. i switch b/c I wasnt feeling polisci no more

Originally Posted by onetwothreewick

Like others said it's a cheaper way to get into the college of your choice but remember you gotta stay focused or else you'll be stuck there. So many people I know have gone and ended up staying here in their parent's houses because they couldn't stay on track.

The only thing I hate when people say this is that...if you get *stuck* at a community college, you likely would have gotten *stuck* at a regularuniversity. I won't say community college is easier, because it isn't, but I think the general environment is more conducive to being a good studentand being able to have less distractions than at a regular university where one would presumably be living on campus. If your unmotivated or liable to driftoff-course, thats going to happen whether you go to Harvard, community college, Devry, University of Phoenix, wherever...

Originally Posted by NjCollector

Hey i was wondering for all my NTers that went to community college....these questions..since i will most likely have to go there.
1-How long till you transfer out to another college?
2-Is it easy to transfer to another college?Like do they accept you right away or do they deny you because you came from a CC?
3-For those who did their whole 2year or 4 year regiment at a CC,is it easy to find a job and/or do you get a lower standard because you came from a CC.
4-Is it decent?Like is it like a normal college?
5-Is it expensive?
6-What college you transfered and what did you major in that other college(or)what did you major in a CC?

Thanks alot NT...Peace!

1. hopefully another semester. its the end of my first year btw.
2. its easy to transfer to maryland which is a pretty good school imo. my school transfers more students there than all the other cc's in maryland
3. its not like your degree says bachelor of ____ from maryland via ___ college. it just says the school you graduated from.
4. its ok there are A LOT of students so i meet a lot of ppl and here about just as many if not more parties than some of my friends who go to universities.its all about networking.
5. hell no it is cheap
6. im a political science major transfering from montgomery college to the university of maryland college park

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

Originally Posted by MoMoney848

1) Any time you want. You can wait and get an Associate's Degree and then transfer or you can transfer once your GPA is good.
2) It's pretty easy. Check to see if your CC has ties to any of the colleges in the state. Some have agreements where they HAVE to accept you if you have a certain GPA out of CC.
3) If you transfer and get your BA from the four year school, nothing ever is mentioned of the CC. It would be like you did your whole 4 years at that four year school.
4) It's nice if you go to a good one. The classes are about the same, it's just cheaper.
5) It's cheaper than a four year school.
6) I'm waiting for GMU to give me an answer right now actually. I'm a Business Admin major but I want to major in International Business once I get to Mason.

Hope this helped!
MoMoney why the major change? I am planning to major in Business Admin too.. Is it true that you don't have to pic your major until you get to the 4 year university if you go to a cc?
One of my majors is business admin and I'm at a C.C. as well.
I assume his is set up like mine and the business admin major leaves the door open for you to narrow it down when you transfer, I'm gonna major inaccounting myself. I can also go into finance, economics, international business, marketing, there's a few choices when you transfer.

as far as determining a major, you could always just get a liberal arts degree that gets the gen.ed courses out the way for most degrees and transfer fromthere, that's not really something I looked much into though. My reason to go to a C.C. was it's cheaper when paying out of pocket, so paying forgeneral courses that may or may not be 100% used wasn't my idea of smart, I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I don't have the money to gothrough different courses that I may not have needed.

you can ALWAYS change your major though, even if you have one course left until you're done, it's not written in blood and etched in stone that onceyou choose your major that's it.

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

i went to community college before transfering to UCF. in my experience, if you complete your 2 years at a CC it's easier to get into a university. As far as price, im not sure because i was there on a softball scholarship... the classes are easier. I am a psychology major.
^^^ Just like how she did. I was at my JC to play basketball for 2 years. Then landed about 6 D2 scholarship offers before I chose UCWV. My major isAccounting

My friends go to a community college and from the stories they tell me I would ace all those classes with a fourth of the effort I'm putting in at a stateuniversity. I wish I would have gone there and saved a little money and I would have had a 4.0 GPA. I guess when my friend transfer to my school it'sgoing to be like hitting a brick wall.

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

Originally Posted by MoMoney848

1) Any time you want. You can wait and get an Associate's Degree and then transfer or you can transfer once your GPA is good.
2) It's pretty easy. Check to see if your CC has ties to any of the colleges in the state. Some have agreements where they HAVE to accept you if you have a certain GPA out of CC.
3) If you transfer and get your BA from the four year school, nothing ever is mentioned of the CC. It would be like you did your whole 4 years at that four year school.
4) It's nice if you go to a good one. The classes are about the same, it's just cheaper.
5) It's cheaper than a four year school.
6) I'm waiting for GMU to give me an answer right now actually. I'm a Business Admin major but I want to major in International Business once I get to Mason.

Hope this helped!
MoMoney why the major change? I am planning to major in Business Admin too.. Is it true that you don't have to pic your major until you get to the 4 year university if you go to a cc?

Yeah, it's true. Well... for the most part. As long as you get all the generals out of the way, you can do whatever you want when you get to a 4 yearschool if you're accepted in that program. As far as the major change... honestly... too many people are just doing Business Admin. I wanted something thatcovered a broader range so I'd have more career choices and I wouldn't be limited to just the United States when it came time to find a job. I figuredInternational Business or Public Relations would do the trick. International Business is what I chose though because I have no constraints as far as where Ican work. I actually want to work in Dubai when I graduate. Their economy is booming and it looks like an amazing place to live.

Originally Posted by Been Here

Thats my plan.

kinda don't know what to expect but I will be going to Santa Monica College
SMC!!!! haha i go there right now. its super easy if you just work a little. its like highschool 2.0. but yea its harder to meet people and alot ofpeople just hang out in their high school groups. expect to see a mad invasion of asians over there. there everywhere lol.

That's my plan right now and my reasons:
I REALLY want to go to UW. The chances are slim that I can get into UW with a 2.45 GPA
If I go to CC the transfer GPA requirement is only 2.5 at UW.
I can also save money.

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

i went to community college before transfering to UCF. in my experience, if you complete your 2 years at a CC it's easier to get into a university. As far as price, im not sure because i was there on a softball scholarship... the classes are easier. I am a psychology major.

SCC or VCC?

im currently @ Scc

Back
Top Bottom