Craziest/most hyped Jordan OG releases?

2011 cords beats them all.

runner ups imo:
DMP (06) Super long lines, shadyness & backdoor dealings everywhere. This was the only release in all my years where I didnt eat.
Grapes (06) Ended in big fight. Too many tall tee gangsta wannabe’s salty.
Bred 13s (04) Bum rushing, line cutting, pushing shoving & doors breaking down.
Blk/cement 3 (01) People brought bats. This was the point when I realized this was going to be a sketchy business.

This is what I experienced. I have to say, I like things better now. Of-coarse its at a time when I’m 9/10 out the game.

Last edited:
Speaking of 2001 releases...I just picked these up. These put me right back in the 11th grade! Wore mine to death. Needed a fresh pair of bred 11s and refused to get another 2012. Birthday gift to myself.
MVIMG_20180516_170037.jpg

the 2005 altitude 13.s was the first crazy one i remember at nike town chicago Ludacris and his team tried to come in and cut everyone in line and got turned down.

Nothing can touch the 2011 Concord release. Getting OG colorway retros were a pain for the next 3 years after that.

I remember 2012 White Cements 4’s soon after that we’re kinda crazy too. Everyone walking out the store saying “tech grey?” :lol:

I remember the 01 Cool Grey release I was 17 and had friends over at my parents house and I left them all there to go wait in line Haha...Lady in front of me got the last pair which was my size but was hesitant to buy because she wasn’t sure her son could wear them but she didn’t have a phone...I quickly handed her mine...the shoe was to big for him and I got the last pair !!! But that release was crazy...I loved the days of lining up and getting the shoes back then

The release of the Playoff 12 in ‘04 was crazy in Charlotte...all kinds of fights and police being called out...so a couple of weeks later I showed up at the mall for the White/Grey 19s and there were all kind of precautions and tons of police presence because of the craziness of the 12s release ....and I was as the only one in line Haha

I had a plug after that but always was one of the First in line just out of respect for him doing that for me

Like others said the Dmp in 06 and the Grape 5s in Charlotte people ran over a few mall cops...Both were crazy

2011 cords beats them all.

runner ups imo:
DMP (06) Super long lines, shadyness & backdoor dealings everywhere. This was the only release in all my years where I didnt eat.
Grapes (06) Ended in big fight. Too many tall tee gangsta wannabe’s salty.
Bred 13s (04) Bum rushing, line cutting, pushing shoving & doors breaking down.
Blk/cement 3 (01) People brought bats. This was the point when I realized this was going to be a sketchy business.

This is what I experienced. I have to say, I like things better now. Of-coarse its at a time when I’m 9/10 out the game.

Damn seems like back then you should come packing heat to those releases lol

I’d love to see data on the quantities produced back then vs now. 2017 Bred 13s literally took months to completely sellout.

Funny how all of those Jordans are easy cops now. I'm betting this year cords will be no different.

Yeah, you can jump on eBay and almost get whatever Jordan you want at 20-30 over retail outside a couple colors

Nothing will ever compare to the late 2000's XI releases. People camped. If anything maybe Royal or Bred 1 releases from a few years back.

Nothing will ever compare to the late 2000's XI releases. People camped. If anything maybe Royal or Bred 1 releases from a few years back.

If you're talking about the Royal 1s from 2013, no way. Those were sleepers and pretty easy to get if you were on top of it even though they sold out. There wasn't any chaos or much hype for these, felt like a selective group of sneaker heads actually appreciated them. I remember everyone being hyped about the Nike Allstar shoes that weekend and were distracted with that, but I had my eyes on these and for the first time in my life I was like the 1st person in line at a store that morning for royal 1s and then I actually doubled up at another store although it was a very short line there. No one was checking for these. Then people were flipping the royal 1s for like 200-220 tops and some people still wasn't biting lol ( everyone regretted later when prices went up) for a quick moment. Some how.....they sky rocketed in price later on and then the whole JORDAN 1 HYPE started now everyone and their mom likes 1s. Prior to that, no one really was messing with Jordan 1s, I was copping Jordan 1s on sale under retail years before all this. Then because how everyone saw how well the royal 1s did in resell and value after they released, the domino affect rolled in...and the bred 1s end of the year in 2013 was definitely more hyped up and sought after etc cause everyone learned their lesson about sleeping on the royals1 and weren't going to pass up on the breds. Bottom line royal 1s 2013 release comes no where close to being the craizest or hyped up release in the beginning.

If you're talking about the Royal 1s from 2013, no way. Those were sleepers and pretty easy to get if you were on top of it even though they sold out. There wasn't any chaos or much hype for these, felt like a selective group of sneaker heads actually appreciated them. I remember everyone being hyped about the Nike Allstar shoes that weekend and were distracted with that, but I had my eyes on these and for the first time in my life I was like the 1st person in line at a store that morning for royal 1s and then I actually doubled up at another store although it was a very short line there. No one was checking for these. Then people were flipping the royal 1s for like 200-220 tops and some people still wasn't biting lol ( everyone regretted later when prices went up) for a quick moment. Some how.....they sky rocketed in price later on and then the whole JORDAN 1 HYPE started now everyone and their mom likes 1s. Prior to that, no one really was messing with Jordan 1s, I was copping Jordan 1s on sale under retail years before all this. Then because how everyone saw how well the royal 1s did in resell and value after they released, the domino affect rolled in...and the bred 1s end of the year in 2013 was definitely more hyped up and sought after etc cause everyone learned their lesson about sleeping on the royals1 and weren't going to pass up on the breds. Bottom line royal 1s 2013 release comes no where close to being the craizest or hyped up release in the beginning.
Yeah, I took a long layaway from all Jordan’s and come to find me in some bizzaro world. Everything can be had for cheap except the 1’s lol. 11’s, 6’s al shoes that were getting top dollar now are being had at or below retail

For me 2006 Grape release & Concord release. Southlake mall was crazy for the Concord release. Broke down the door & everyone started running.

Speaking of 2001 releases...I just picked these up. These put me right back in the 11th grade! Wore mine to death. Needed a fresh pair of bred 11s and refused to get another 2012. Birthday gift to myself.
MVIMG_20180516_170037.jpg

Those are fresh! Are you going to wear it?

2013 Royal 1s easy to get?!

:rofl:

let me rephrase that and say for my area it was for sure easy if you were on it on release day. I can't comment or judge for other people's areas or online release during that time.I'm speaking from my experience. I live in a city where we have a bunch of Villa and Kicks and city blue stores. Those stores originated from my city, so I'll admit we had more options to cop that day and I did. I doubled up with barely any line or hassle which is unheard of if there was actually hype on these, like I said this thread is about the craziest hyped Jordan release, the royal 1s wasn't. No one was really checking for 1s prior to the royal 2013s. I clearly remember the crowds shifting to the All Star Game shoes that weekend as the NIKE AS shoes still holded weight and hype and value after the whole Lebron Big Bang stuff, etc. If I can also remember they had those AS ray gun Barkley foams everyone was trying to get . The Royal 1s did seem limited and it could of been " hard to get", we had a bunch of stores in my area with them so that played a factor, but the thread isn't about if it was hard to get, it's about craziest hype etc. Royals def wasn't t, it was the aftermath of the royal 1s that made it so crazy and then other 1s going forward. There was no kicking down doors, stampedes, fights, or licking the bottom of the 1s leading up to the royal 1s. If I can also remember the Royal 1 thread in here was pretty damn small too, no one expected the resell value to go so high.

Have to agree with Concord release. Luckily I secured my pair from END and thats when I learned their customer service is generally trash.

Back
Top Bottom