Credit Cards...

Hey guys, I'm 20 years old and I'm looking to build my credit. what are some good credit card companies I could apply with online?

Mastercard is pretty good. The reward points build up fast and fees aren't bad if you're good with money.

I have a question about credit cards
Is it a MUST to have one?

No, you really don't need a credit card and you can live a happy life using cash or writing checks, BUT . . . responsibly using a credit card is a great way to build / establish credit so when it comes time to get a loan or buy big ticket items where you can't pay cash / write a check like buying a car, home loan, establish a line of credit to run a business, etc, you can get a better interest rate or just flat out qualify . . .

when i was in college, credit card companies ALWAYS had tables set up around campus letting people apply for credit cards (I had tons of free t-shirts and cups and other cheap swag), so I wound up getting 1 of each card . . . that meant an AMEX, a Visa, an MC and a Discover card.

I rarely carry a balance every month so I like using credit cards for the REWARDS.

For example, I primarily use my AMEX and I Best Buy Rewards Zone Mastercard.

The Best Buy Rewards Zone MC doesn't have the best interest rates, BUT I pay my bill in full every month so they don't take advantage of me. I take advantage of THEM. I use my points to get free video games . . .

Hey guys, I'm 20 years old and I'm looking to build my credit. what are some good credit card companies I could apply with online?

if you have no credit, look at a secured card

you put a down payment and get a small line of credit. it reports just like a normal card so within 6-8 months you should have some credit established and they will likely offer you a normal credit card with a higher limit.

Definitely get a credit card. Just use it for items you can pay in full for the following month when the bill comes in.

At your age, I'd save up $1,000 and get a secured credit card. It'll teach you how to handle having a credit card.
Having access to a credit card at a young age is like Peter Parker learning how to be Spider man "With great power, comes great responsibility."

Didn't want to make a new thread but decided to bump an old one...

- Applied for like 2-3 cards last summer to get denied because I have no credit (Junior in college)
- Got on my mom's credit card through CapitalOne
- Currently, there's a balance and we've been getting charged interest these past couple months but I've been paying what I spend (just the situation we're in, we're financially stable, just some unexpected purchases)
- All I wanted to know was, can I apply for my own card now or would their have to be no balance? Is my credit history messed up because of this?

- Applied for like 2-3 cards last summer to get denied because I have no credit (Junior in college)
- Currently, there's a balance and we've been getting charged interest these past couple months but I've been paying what I spend (just the situation we're in, we're financially stable, just some unexpected purchases)
- All I wanted to know was, can I apply for my own card now or would their have to be no balance? Is my credit history messed up because of this?

I don't get it. So you got on your mom's credit card and added on there? How long have you been on her account? If it's been a year what I would suggest is going to the bank and opening up a credit card with your mom as a co-signer or added on there so the bank goes off your mom's credit history to establish a credit line. Build up some credit after a while and then take her off. That's how I did it when I was in high school at least. I'm sure there are different routes to take.

I don't get it. So you got on your mom's credit card and added on there? How long have you been on her account? If it's been a year what I would suggest is going to the bank and opening up a credit card with your mom as a co-signer or added on there so the bank goes off your mom's credit history to establish a credit line. Build up some credit after a while and then take her off. That's how I did it when I was in high school at least. I'm sure there are different routes to take.

Almost a year. Will probably do what you said and wait until summer to re-apply. Thanks for the info.

I think you need some credit before getting a chase freedom card. go with clothing store cards first or capital one

Agree with Chase Freedom...

They gave me a nice $300 bonus for signing up - good online layout and app - 1% cash back on everything and 5% cash back promotions on stuff like gas and groceries.

No complaints here.

Back
Top Bottom