Dallas Cowboys supposedly having serious discussions of releasing Terrell Owens

Bunch of articles.

Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post reports that the Cowboys are having "serious internal discussions" about releasing Terrell Owens.

"Serious discussions," Lombardi stresses. This coincides with last week's report by Ed Werder, who cited a supposed decline by 35-year-old T.O.But there simply has been none. Owens got stronger during the season's second half, averaging 18.9 YPC with five scores in the last eight games.
Source: National Football Post

Inside the NFL thinks T.O. is going to get cut

5:58 PM Wed, Jan 14, 2009 | Permalink
Barry Horn E-mail
email-icon.jpg
News tips
Showtime's Inside the NFL says Jason Garrett wants Terrell Owens gone. Now.
I just got pieces from the transcript from tonight's show courtesy of the fine folks at CBS, Showtime's corporate sibling.
Here's what Inside's NFL insider Mike Lombardi has to say:
"TO is back in the news. He has a $3.1 million roster bonus due in March and there are a lot of people in the Dallas front office trying to push JerryJones to get him to save their team. They feel like if they can rid themselves of TO, they make their team much better. So there is a lot of pressure on JerryJones to make that decision.
"I would suspect in the next month before March comes around, I don't think TO is going to be a Cowboy."
So why is it important for T.O. to go?

Lombardi: "They want some team chemistry. Jason Garrett has basically said, 'Its going to be TO or it's going to be me. I am out looking for ahead coaching job. I may get one of those head coaching jobs, but I just really can't co-exist with TO. You are going to have to make a decision."
More on Garrett:
Lombardi: "I think he has an army of people helping him draw that line with the owner. I think a lot of people in the front office are pushing him becausethey feel like if they subtract TO from the team, that's a positive addition."

Improving locker room chemistry will be the highest priority for the Dallas Cowboys this offseason and that will force serious discussions between Wade Phillips' coaching staff and owner Jerry Jonesabout whether to release controversial wide receiver Terrell Owens, according to team and league sources.

1056.jpg

Owens

"I think we all know that chemistry is the problem with this team more than the schemes or anything else,'' a Cowboys source said. "Are wegoing to continue to allow talent to outweigh everything else in the decisions we make with players and putting the roster together? We're like theRedskins used to be when they signed every player they wanted. There's more to it than talent. It has to be more about the team.''
"The big one [Owens] didn't get discussed yet, but I'm sure it will and real hard.''
The Cowboys released twice-suspended cornerback Pacman Jones last week and Tank Johnson is expected to depart through free agency. Both decisions are at least partly related to the renewedemphasis on creating a different atmosphere in the locker room. The Cowboys began their ill-fated 2008 season with three players on the roster who had beensuspended by the league or their previous teams -- Jones, Johnson and Owens.
At least two sources believe that vice president Stephen Jones will attempt to convince his father that Owens should be finished with the Cowboys. But JerryJones just last year invested a $12 million signing bonus in Owens, which means there would be salary-cap fallout. In fact, Jerry Jones has suggested thatthere might be enough damage that the team would find it difficult to sign NFL sack leader DeMarcus Ware to a new contract.
"I think some of people want to just cut our losses and get rid of all those guys _ TO, Tank, Pacman,'' another Cowboys source said. "But Ireally think Jerry likes the thrill of trying to make it all work."
The discussions involving Owens have not yet been formally initiated and probably will not occur until the Cowboys are more certain of the composition of theircoaching staff.
Offensive coordinator Jason Garrett'scandidacy for at least two NFL head coaching positions could influence the Owens debate. Garrett met with the St. Louis Rams on Wednesday after interviewing last weekwith the Detroit Lions.
At the moment, Jones has insisted that Phillips will return, but he might have to reconsider if Garrett secures another opportunity. There are people withinthe Cowboys organization who do not believe that Garrett would turn down another job unless Jones was willing to promote him to head coach in Dallas and purgeOwens from the roster.
Not only does Owens have relationship issues with quarterback Tony Romo and tight end Jason Witten, but the controversial receiver consistently criticized Garrett's play calling and his offensiveschemes to the point that sources say the offensive coordinator does not believe they can co-exist.
The potential of the Cowboys losing Garrett to another team could accelerate the timetable for a decision about Owens. They had expected not to face a deadlineuntil his $3 million roster bonus is due June 3. But that changes if Garrett finds himself in a position to leave the Cowboys and makes Owens' departure acondition of his remaining.
"I think Jerry would have to think about it, but I believe he'd let Jason leave,'' said one team source, believing Jones would prefer to berelieved of his remaining $6 million obligation to Garrett.
Regardless, Owens could still be jettisoned. His detractors can argue their belief that that Owens, 35, is a poor route runner with inconsistent hands andgenerally a descending player who seldom accepts responsibility for his own shortcomings. There is fear internally that he will become more volatile if hisperformance continues to deteriorate -- and that he may feel more empowered if he perceives that his presence forced Garrett to depart.
Of particular concern is the apparent negative influence Owens has had on teammates such as Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton and even running back Marion Barber.
"You have to be worried about his influence over there, and I think we'd get some of those players back over to our side if he was gone,''another source said. "I think we have to decide how detrimental he is to Witten and Romo.''
While Garrett's offensive productivity plunged and quarterback Romo appeared to regress in his second full season as the starting quarterback, Jerry Jonesapparently still covets his young offensive coordinator. The perception within the Cowboys coaching and executive offices is that the team's demise wasmore the result of poor locker room chemistry and a serious leadership void than it was a failure of Garrett's system.

It was Jones who personally returned Garrett to the Cowboys organization with the expectation the he would eventually become the next head coach of thefranchise. When Garrett was offered head-coaching positions with the Ravens and Falcons exactly a year ago, Jones persuaded him to remain with the Cowboys bymaking him the highest-paid assistant coach in football. Jones was fiercely determined to have Garrett develop Romo, maintain offensive continuity and evenmentioned his view of the team's future with Garrrett as head coach in the new $1 billion stadium, which the team opens next season.
Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.

lmao @ the thought of defenses really fearing Roy. E Williams
laugh.gif

Lets get rid of our #1 weapon. I swear if we pull this dumb ++% move...

And who can replace him on that team?

The problem starts above him. Since this was an ESPN article take it with a grain of salt. Whenever Ed Werder's name is mentioned the article'svalidity should be called into question as Mr. Werder and the Cowboys' have a stormy relationship.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Because coaching isnt an issue...........
that's what im saying. TO isn't really the big issue here

and how tony romo goes from stud to dude down the stretch every year boggles my mind...it's like he can't stay focused (cue the jessica simpsonpics)...but still. he's money to start the year, then something in his head just like fries, and he can't keep the football in the hands of hisoffense.

Note that only the last article has anything to do with Ed Werder. The first one has to do with Mike Lombardi and the second is some Inside the NFL !%@+ whichI believe is BS as well.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but count me in...

We'd still have Roy, Witten, Crayton, and three very good RBs... Look at the Eagles, Steelers, and Ravens... Deep playoff runs with lesser offensiveweapons...

Get the guy outta here and get that "We've gotta keep T.O. happy" mentality out of the equation...

Frankly, I think Jason Garrett and Tony Romo would be better for it...

Plus getting back to a commitment to the running game...
pimp.gif
We're like the ******** used to be when they signed every player they wanted.
Annnnnd that's when you know you're not doing things the right way...

When people say you're doing business like those losers, you might wanna rethink everything...

If I'm TO and IF this is true, I'm like "whatever man".

He gets cut, he'll get snapped right up by some contender. (Indy? NE??)

No biggie.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I know it's not a popular opinion, but count me in...

We'd still have Roy, Witten, Crayton, and three very good RBs... Look at the Eagles, Steelers, and Ravens... Deep playoff runs with lesser offensive weapons...

Get the guy outta here and get that "We've gotta keep T.O. happy" mentality out of the equation...

Frankly, I think Jason Garrett and Tony Romo would be better for it...

Plus getting back to a commitment to the running game...
pimp.gif
We're like the ******** used to be when they signed every player they wanted.
Annnnnd that's when you know you're not doing things the right way...

When people say you're doing business like those losers, you might wanna rethink everything...
Tony Romo? He's just another Cowboys' QB who's failed since Aikman left.

The Cowboys' offense opens up because of the problem he poses. If I'm an opposing defense I'm not too worried about Crayton and Witten.

Wasn't the writing on the wall when they gave up a lot for Roy and then inking him to a huge deal?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Wasn't the writing on the wall when they gave up a lot for Roy and then inking him to a huge deal?

I would say yes, but then Roy really fell flat on his face so perhaps it gave them slight pause. I understand he didnt have much time in the offense,practice, etc. but he was a virtual non-factor and most of the time legit talent, desire, whatever, will get you over that hump.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Eagles, Steelers, and Ravens

Those teams have much, much better defenses, hence their deep playoff runs.
OK, so take the money you're paying T.O. and use it on that side of the ball... I figured that was self-explanatory...

My point was you don't have to have premier guys at every offensive position to get things done in the playoffs...
Tony Romo? He's just another Cowboys' QB who's failed since Aikman left.
eyes.gif
And he's still a Top 10 QB in football...

I think it's fairly obvious that he spends far too much time trying to force the ball in T.O.'s direction... I'd venture to guess the majority ofhis INTs this season were balls thrown to Terrell Owens in tight coverages or throwing it out there hoping he'd make a play on a jump ball... I can thinkof at least 4 off the top of my head without putting any thought into it...
If I'm an opposing defense I'm not too worried about Crayton and Witten.

Not worried about Witten?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
OK...

You'd have thought...

Lmao @ we got Roy.

How many seasons has that bum been healthy? And when he is healthy how many 1000 yard seasons has he had? One? Homeboy aint scarin NO ONE. Defenses will committo stopping our running game next season which will obviously be explosive. With the addition of T.O., at least it keeps defenses in check because they knowthey can potentialy be roasted. This makes things easier for Barber, Felix and Choice. But without Owens, they will just put 8 in the box and make you beatthem in the air.

The year we're probably going to have one of the best running games in the league, we rid ourselves a key component of helping that running game becomesuccessful. Smart move Dallas. Despite being a die hard Boys fan, I will LAUGH if Owens ends up going to an NFCE team such as the Skins and puts up highnumbers.

By the way, let me remind some of you how explosive our offense became when Owens has been injured and not in the lineup:

In two games our offense mustered up a whopping ZERO touchdowns and 2 field goals.

If my main threat was Witten, a TE, with no one around him to single handidly take the attentio of 2+ defenders at any moment then you know you've gotproblems. No one will lose sleep over Witten. Or Crayton. Or Roy Williams for that matter.

He can come to Philly.
laugh.gif

I pray that TO stays with the Cowboys. Like Gunna said before, how many rumblings will it take for you idiots to realize that he is a problem in the lockerroom? Were his endings in San Fran and Philly not enough for you? Rosenhaus will want TO to get cut. He knows he can get another deal. Won't be any JerryJones "I'm going to give Roy Williams $45 million" deal, but at least it's something Rosenhaus can make money off.

I hope he does get cut...he can trickle down to the Giants who need a sub for PLax and he can have the satisfaction of sticking it to the Cowboys

Back
Top Bottom