David Stern rips the NCAA

David Stern absolutely eviscerates NCAA over ‘one and done’ rule

The best application of the phrase "lesser of two evils,"in my world at least, will always apply to the NBA being slightly less dubiousthan the NCAA. If there ever were an organization more skeevy, moreduplicitous, more conniving and self-serving and careless and self-absorbed andcynical than the NBA, it's the NCAA. By a hair. This hair is likely sponsoredby something.

NBA commissioner David Stern pointed this out on Tuesday. He wassmarmy, he was passive/aggressive, and he was as self-serving as ever. But hewas absolutely and utterly on point when he pointed out that he and his leagueof owners bent on making a profit above all else are under absolutely noobligation to aid in NCAA basketball's aesthetics by denying players that NBAGMs rank as job-worthy a chance to play NBA ball before they finish theirsecond year of "college." Better to let Kyrie Irving look amazing andwin games for Cleveland, than for free under some antiquated notion of"guidance" at Duke. From Brett Pollakoff at Pro Basketball Talk:

"A college could always not have players who are one anddone," Stern said. "They could do that. They could actually requirethe players to go to classes. Or they could get the players to agree that theystay in school, and ask for their scholarship money back if they didn't fulfilltheir promises. There's all kinds of things that, if a bunch of people gottogether and really wanted to do it, instead of talk about it …"

Brett pointed out that as Stern said this, in a press conferenceheld before a Phoenix Suns/San Antonio Spurs game on Tuesday, NBA deputycommissioner Adam Silver visibly grimaced as the NBA's el jefe went off scripta bit. Silver will likely inherit Stern's gig in a few years; but instead ofplaying nice, Silver should be taking notes. Because if the NBA is a joke, thenthe NCAA is a perpetual laughing stock.

The organization rakes in billions each year off of the work ofplayers that are only compensated by the soulless concept of a"scholarship" that the NCAA barely bothers to attend to while theplayers breeze through classes. As basketball players grow smarter withincreased competition and more televised basketball influence at an early age,these early developers need the NCAA less and less as the game develops, so theorganization has to find new and innovative ways to squeeze more money out ofthese players before they head off to the NBA. Want to know why the NCAA stillhas a possession arrow? It's just another chance for a TV timeout, so thatHarrison Barnes can indirectly team with Peter Frampton to influence you to buysome Buicks.

And the NCAA stands aside while pundits and fans of collegebasketball complain -- absolutely deserved complaints, mind you -- that theshould-be fantastic sport of college basketball is hurt by its top talents onlystopping in to play college hoops for a year before going to the NBA; even ifthose one-and-done players aren't exactly top-three material in each June's NBAdraft. The NBA barred its teams from drafting high school players in 2005partially in response to these complaints, but also mainly because their GMscouldn't be bothered to get it right while drafting Antoine Wright 20 spotsahead of high schooler Monta Ellis because, "I dunno, his knees are shotor something."

It's true that the NCAA product is diminished because playersaren't sticking around, even if they're hoping to land a spot in the low 20s ofthe NBA draft. And the NBA is the reason why. But "is the reason why"is not the same as "to be blamed, and eventually shamed."

The NBA is under no obligation to ensure that Daniel Orton developsfor free for a few years at Kentucky. NBA squads still love the fact that NCAAteams will do their work with the 18-to-22 year-olds for them, but they'd alsorather take a chance on a potential star for the price of a cheap rookiecontract, and let that kid work on his game behind the scenes even if it meanspaying them for very little in-game experience. And even if that guy merelyturns into the answer you give your dad when he asks you, "who draftedthat guy from …," the payoff for these teams is worth it. Some becomeDaniel Orton after one year at school, but some become Wilson Chandler aftertwo.

Pollakoff goes on to quote Stern at his absolute coldest, on recordat least:

"I agree with the NCAA that it would be great for us — I'm notconcerned about NCAA, and our rules are not social programs," Stern said."We don't think it's appropriate for us to lecture kids as to whether theyshould or shouldn't go to school. For our business purposes, the longer we canget to look at young men playing against first-rate competition, that's a goodthing. Because draft picks are very valuable things."

Let's make no mistake, the NCAA's rules aren't social programseither. They're a business just as cold and calculating as the unapologeticNBA, with increased evidence that they care less and less about upholding therules they put in place under the auspices of acting as a social, oreducational program. And, frankly, I don't care about that. Let them continueto connive, because it's of no concern to me that some small forward doesn't goto classes, or recreationally uses things that most 20-year olds use while notgoing to those classes.

This isn't to suggest that the NCAA should go on an NBA-styledbender, and turn their rule book into a free for all (no pun intended) ofsorts. Or to suggest that NCAA basketball is soon to become an anachronism. Farfrom it. The quality of play may have fallen off a bit, but close contests willstill draw our attention, the roots run deep, and it's always going to be funto hem and haw over potential bracket seeding even before the conferencetourneys start up. It's still great to wonder what that kid will be like whenhe becomes a man, even if he's gone by May.

Concurrently, this isn't to suggest that the NBA is to be lauded inany regard. This is a league that would put a headband with a Nike logo onJerry West's famous silhouette, if they thought it would scan well. You knowwe're likely just a few years removed from "the Haier NBA Finals,"while the league's owners cost thousands employment for months during a lockoutthat eventually barely shifted any meaningful cash around between the playersand ownership.

They're just in this muck, together. The only difference is thatthe NBA, at least, is admitting as much.

he's right. But he has some balls to say it because his league isalmost as corrupt just in different ways.

I'm against the grain with Stern because I think he has been a good Commissioner for the league, but he needs to shut up. If he's that concerned about it, he should of helped fixed that in the CBA.

NCAA is a joke. A bunch of rich/well off white men making billions of dollars (mostly all profit). Funny that Stern won't up the eligibility though...He could easily require 3 years as mentioned...

Originally Posted by dakid23

$@!$ David Stern.

tl;dr but that's how i feel
laugh.gif

Did he forget that he is the reason for all these one and done players? When he created the rule that stopped players from coming straight out of HS all it did was create this epidemic of one and done players so what the hell is he crying for?

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

Did he forget that he is the reason for all these one and done players? When he created the rule that stopped players from coming straight out of HS all it did was create this epidemic of one and done players so what the hell is he crying for?

Exactly
laugh.gif
. How does he try to blame the NCAA when he's the one that is forcing these kids that have no interest in college to have to waste that year in school?

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Exactly
laugh.gif
. How does he try to blame the NCAA when he's the one that is forcing these kids that have no interest in college to have to waste that year in school?
Uhm no, he's simply saying that there are business advantages and disadvantages to having kids stay in school one year, but if the NCAA expects the NBA to change it's for some sort morally righteous cause of making kids get an education then they shouldn't hold their breath and if they are so certain about there crusade of upholding the sanctity of the "student-athelete" then they should simply not recruit these kids.

I for one agree with Stern, #+*# the NCAA, they are joke and they are holding onto their hustle by the slimmest of margins now.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Exactly
laugh.gif
Uhm no, he's simply saying that there are business advantages and disadvantages to having kids stay in school one year, but if the NCAA expects the NBA to change it's for some sort morally righteous cause of making kids get an education then they shouldn't hold their breath and if they are so certain about there crusade of upholding the sanctity of the "student-athelete" then they should simply not recruit these kids.

I for one agree with Stern, @$+@ the NCAA, they are joke and they are holding onto their hustle by the slimmest of margins now.

What does calling them out in the media do? David Stern could certainly set up some sort of roundtable with major players in NCAA if he was genuinely that concerned. I can't feed into this and absolve him of all blame, while he just lambasts the NCAA (Even though I know the NCAA is a joke). The age limit that Stern invoked is also a joke. If he made it 3 years or took it away completely we wouldn't have these issues. His ideas of making a kid sign an agree to stay at a school for a certain time are just a joke.

Please, the NBA needs to lower the age limit back to 18 and stop playing around. Any real talents I'd encourage to play overseas until they're eligible. No reason to go through a year where a college is potentially making millions off of you.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Exactly
laugh.gif

I for one agree with Stern, @$+@ the NCAA, they are joke and they are holding onto their hustle by the slimmest of margins now.

What does calling them out in the media do? David Stern could certainly set up some sort of round table with major players in NCAA if he was genuinely that concerned. I can't feed into this and absolve him of all blame, while he just lambasts the NCAA (Even though I know the NCAA is a joke). The age limit that Stern invoked is also a joke. If he made it 3 years or took it away completely we wouldn't have these issues. His ideas of making a kid sign an agree to stay at a school for a certain time are just a joke.
He was asked a question I believe and he gave an answer.

I'm sorry what issues? Who said Stern is concerned? Stern is considered only about the profitability of the NBA, if nothing else, If I'm the NBA, 3 years and it only lines the pockets of the NCAA, 2 maybe but if I were the NBA I see no reason to extend it more than one, given what it might cost you in CBA negotiations.

Look at the players who stayed an extra year? What exactly did we learn about? What valuable information was gleamed?

Harrison, Henson, Zeller, Marshall, Perry Jones, Sullinger, I don't think this extra year has really taught us anything significant about these prospects, and I don't belied they developed in any significant way besides maybe Zeller. So why actually would the NBA make it 3 years.

This guy...

Why would I stay 4 years, when they don't pay me? And I'm good enough to get drafted first round lottery pick, which is a few million dollars easy...

They made the 1 and done... Not the NCAA. What are they going to do tell a young kid to risk millions by staying for 4 years and get injured? If I'm good enough to get picked, I can put money aside after college to go back when I'm done with the NBA...

Trying to take blame away from himself

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Please, the NBA needs to lower the age limit back to 18 and stop playing around. Any real talents I'd encourage to play overseas until they're eligible. No reason to go through a year where a college is potentially making millions off of you.

why? so we can see more busts and players drafted on potential that never pan out?

the NBA needs to look at the NFL, their draft is correct.

also very few schools make money of sports
grin.gif

But the one and done rule isn't hurting the profitability of the NBA. So why is he throwing barbs at a system that he is largely responsible for?

"I agree with the NCAA that it would be great for us — I'm not concerned about NCAA, and our rules are not social programs," Stern said. "We don't think it's appropriate for us to lecture kids as to whether they should or shouldn't go to school. For our business purposes, the longer we can get to look at young men playing against first-rate competition, that's a good thing. Because draft picks are very valuable things."

Well Stern disagrees with you. He says the longer they can get to look at the players the better.

And I agree.. These dumb %%! GMs will still draft players too high and there will still be busts if they move the limit to 3 years. It's inevitable. The NFL still has busts using that system.

rashi wrote:
I'm against the grain with Stern because I think he has been a good Commissioner for the league, but he needs to shut up. If he's that concerned about it, he should of helped fixed that in the CBA.

I'm the complete opposite, I hate the guy but he's right on this issue. I think some of you are reading it wrong, he's not complaining about the rule...he's responding to the NCAA or their supporters who are against the one and done rule. He's under no obligation to change the rule, which is a pretty good happy medium for the league right now. He's saying if the NCAA wants to change it then stop pointing the finger at the NBA. There are things on their end that they can do to make sure "student/athletes" stay longer or earn their scholarships.

I like the conversation.

The NBA thrives the more they know about the products they invest in. NBA GMs, Niketalk GMs, and genius minds all could not hit on most of these draft picks aside from the first pick or so. The NBA draft is a TOTAL crapshoot. Having kids leap from high school again (and many of us think kids should have that right) really does nothing to help this overall IMO. I'm not a player. I'm a paying customer. I want to see the best product filled with the least knuckleheads and the most players getting compensated the way they should be. When that happens the L is a pretty good product. I think for the most part the more kids stay in school the more they mature, the more we know about them. And the more they are ready to handle a man's game. A game that we pay top dollar for to line everyone's pockets. We all know NCAA is a joke and we all know NBA has their issues too.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

I like the conversation.

The NBA thrives the more they know about the products they invest in. NBA GMs, Niketalk GMs, and genius minds all could not hit on most of these draft picks aside from the first pick or so. The NBA draft is a TOTAL crapshoot. Having kids leap from high school again (and many of us think kids should have that right) really does nothing to help this overall IMO. I'm not a player. I'm a paying customer. I want to see the best product filled with the least knuckleheads and the most players getting compensated the way they should be. When that happens the L is a pretty good product. I think for the most part the more kids stay in school the more they mature, the more we know about them. And the more they are ready to handle a man's game. A game that we pay top dollar for to line everyone's pockets. We all know NCAA is a joke and we all know NBA has their issues too.
I don't know about you, but my draft picks in 2k are all-stars pleighboi. 
grin.gif

Spoiler [+]
just kidding, my team's awful
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
@ the people who didn't read the article but still have something to say.

For once I'm on Stern's side but a little more extreme. Eliminate that one and done rule. FOREVER.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

laugh.gif
@ the people who didn't read the article but still have something to say.

For once I'm on Stern's side but a little more extreme. Eliminate that one and done rule. FOREVER.

agreeeeeeeed!

I recently read somewhere that one idea someone presented was allowing high schoolers to enter the draft if they wish, but if they choose to attend college they must make a 2 year commitment.

This is true. The NCAA is the problem. Personally I thought that was obvious though
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mjd77

I recently read somewhere that one idea someone presented was allowing high schoolers to enter the draft if they wish, but if they choose to attend college they must make a 2 year commitment.

I don't think Stern would go for that.

Back
Top Bottom