David Stern rips the NCAA

Originally Posted by Essential1

Originally Posted by gambit215

Originally Posted by Essential1

This guy...

Why would I stay 4 years, when they don't pay me? And I'm good enough to get drafted first round lottery pick, which is a few million dollars easy...

They made the 1 and done... Not the NCAA. What are they going to do tell a young kid to risk millions by staying for 4 years and get injured? If I'm good enough to get picked, I can put money aside after college to go back when I'm done with the NBA...

Trying to take blame away from himself
NBA Is riddled with BLACK men who are headed to nowhere pretty quick before their 35th birthday, a degree shouldnt be looked upon with disdain...the same way you need an MBA to work for Goldman Sachs, I cannot see why there is not a requirement for a league which holds maximum 350 players. There has to be some type of qualifications for an elite group of athletes.
There is.. Have talent... The worst NBA player could shred anyone in this thread easily. That is the qualification for an elite group of athletes.. To have talent in the sport you play.

What degree could possibly prepare a college student for the NBA?  Quantum Physics? Math Major?    An MBA for Goldman Sachs makes actual sense..  Any degree to play in the NBA doesn't

And so what most NBA players play 5-6 years..  What if that guy who makes $3mil total in his NBA career,  decided I don't want to go one and done and plays his Soph. year and blows out his knee..Can't enter the draft now. Ok plays his Jr. and his knee blows out again.. No what? Chances are he won't be in the NBA.. And if he made $3mil in the NBA, and it doesn't lead to a long career, he can go back to school if he damn well pleases..

There is no disdain to the degree..  The question is.. "WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER"  Get a degree, don't get a degree..  DRose is dumb as a box of rocks.  Was one and done...  The guy will end up making close to $500 mil when his career is all said and done. ($250mil from Adidas, barring injury that cut short his career $100-150mil,  maybe even $200 mil)  Then add in any other endorsements.. He hovers around $500mil..  What difference does the degree make? 

For most people basketball is all they know. And if not for basketball they couldn't attend $40K a year schools like UNC, Duke, or Cuse. Basketball is what got them there. If they want to capitalize on what they know, so be it. That is their adapting to the world.

And the degree requirement will ruin the life of some kid who was talented enough to play a 10 year career in the NBA, but didn't because his career was done by injuries in college..

Those extra years are a HUGE financial risk..

Millions in the NBA, and having the ability to go back to school if I need to >

Greg Oden.. Made $23million in the NBA.. One and done.. You mean to tell me if he played 4 years, he wouldn't have fallen apart?  It is hypothetical, but look at how his NBA career went, and imagine if he tried 4 years in college.. Dude would have never been drafted (and if he was he'd be the Mr. Irrelevant pick), would not be a multi-millionaire, and his degree would still mean nothing..  His career is pretty much done.. But guess what he can go back to school if he wants or retire.. 

David Stern wants to !%#!* and complain about everything wrong with basketball, but never holds himself accountable. He's been the commissioner for 30 years, at some point he has to accept some blame for something.

QFT.

The NCAA and its cronies just want to make as much money as they possibly can from these kids. Going to college/university does not define how successful one is - if anything it prepares you to be a sheep in the workforce.  

Back
Top Bottom