Det Mayor Kilpatrick's text messages might lead to solving stripper murder case

[h5]Relatives of slain stripper want justice[/h5]
February 14, 2008

By BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Nearly five years after the slaying of stripper Tamara Greene, family and friends aren't sure how to interpret the new publicity surrounding her killing.

But their desire for justice hasn't changed.
"It's still a very raw issue for us," said Greene's grandmother Bertha Powell of Columbus, Ohio. "It still hurts a lot and we try not to talk about it. If there's something new, we want to know what it is."
In the wake of the controversy surrounding Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, an attorney for Greene's 14-year-old son made headlines by seeking access to possibly millions of text messages among city employees in an effort to prove a cover-up in her death.

"This is a sweet kid who deserves a whole heck of a lot better than he's gotten," Birmingham lawyer Norman Yatooma said, referring to the son of Tamara Greene. "He has been absolutely, positively railroaded because his mom was a stripper."

Greene, 27, who danced at strip clubs under the name Strawberry and worked as a prostitute, was fatally shot at 3:40 a.m. during an April 30, 2003, drive-by in northwest Detroit.

She was rumored to have danced at a party at the mayor's Manoogian Mansion in the fall of 2002. It has never been proved that such a party happened, and state Attorney General Mike Cox concluded the story was an urban legend.

But a memo to then-Police Chief Jerry Oliver from then-Deputy Chief Gary Brown described an allegation "that Mrs. Carlita Kilpatrick," the mayor's wife, "was involved in a physical altercation with a female dancer, causing bodily injury requiring medical attention."

Brown was fired in May 2003. Last September, he and former mayoral bodyguard Harold Nelthrope were awarded a total of $6.5 million after a jury accepted their claims that they were forced out of their jobs by Mayor Kilpatrick and Christine Beatty, his then-chief of staff. The former cops said they were ousted after they began investigating claims about the mayor's security staff -- allegations that could have dealt with the long-rumored party and revealed an extramarital affair between the mayor and Beatty.

Last month, the Free Press reported the text messages between Kilpatrick and Beatty that confirmed the affair and referred to Brown's firing. The controversy alerted Yatooma to the possibility of text messages that could help his case.

Family and friends describe Greene as bright, ambitious and beautiful.

"She was a genuinely good person," said Dennis Mitchenor, a friend and personal attorney. "She was not a throwaway."

Yatooma, who represents Greene's son Jonathan in a federal lawsuit against the city, is now seeking text messages sent by any city employee during the four hours that included the shooting of Greene at Roselawn and West Outer Drive.

Yatooma's lawsuit says covering up facts about the crime violated Jonathan's constitutional rights. Jonathan's father, Ernest Flagg of Detroit, also is a plaintiff.

Greene's death became more controversial when former Detroit Police Lt. Alvin Bowman sued in 2004, charging that Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings, Kilpatrick and Beatty conspired to silence him by transferring him out of the homicide division for investigating Greene's death.

Kilpatrick and Beatty later were dismissed from the lawsuit before it went to trial.

A jury awarded Bowman, a 31-year police veteran, $200,000 in October 2005.

Bowman, 57, who left the department after filing his suit, told the Free Press on Wednesday that he is standing by his theory that Greene's death was a planned hit.

He said Greene was killed by shots from a .40-caliber Glock handgun -- a model that is standard issue for Detroit police.

But Bowman said he's skeptical that her death will ever be solved.

"I'm sure this lawyer is going to uncover a great deal of information, personal information about city officials," he said. "Where it's going to lead, there's no telling."

Police spokesman James Tate said the case remains open.

Yatooma said that although he'd love to solve the case, his mission is to show that the lack of investigation violated his client's constitutional rights.

"If police say they're doing something, I'd love to know what they're doing, because they're not talking to the people I'm talking to," Yatooma told the Free Press this week.

Powell said she hasn't heard from the police in years.

"I can't imagine what would be new in the case," she said. "No one has told us anything."

Greene's great-aunt Christine White, 65, of Mobile, Ala., said she used to visit Greene in Detroit. The two had a close relationship.

"I hope and pray to God that they are really looking into it," White said. "I hope it's not just publicity. Down in my heart of hearts, I just want them to find her killer. She deserves that much."

Shortly before she was killed, Greene was in the process of opening Tammy's Secrets, a lingerie store on the city's west side catering to dancers.

Greene's former attorney and friend Mitchenor, who lives in Grosse Pointe Farms, said she needed about $10,000 to acquire inventory for the business. He was assisting her in opening the store.

"This business was going to be her exit," he said. "She wanted to get away from the dancing."

On the night she died, Greene pulled her 1997 green Buick Skylark up to a curb to drop off her boyfriend, who was 32 at the time. A white Chevrolet Blazer pulled around the corner. A man opened fire.

Her boyfriend staggered to a house, calling 911 from his cell phone. He was taken to Sinai-Grace Hospital for a neck wound.

Mitchenor said he always figured the boyfriend was the target. Now, he's not so sure.

"The more rumors I hear, the more frightening it becomes," he said. "This thing won't die. I can't think of anything that young lady would have done that would deserve her getting slaughtered like that."

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Since this is NT....here's a pic

bilde

Smh, I always hoped that he didn't have anything to do with this but you never know.....and
If he did had something to do with it
indifferent.gif

If he gets caught because of text messages
indifferent.gif

I know he has to REALLY hate cell phones right about now

Damn....that's some interesting stuff Gritty....as corrupt as politicians can be, would anyone honestly be surprised? What do people in the D think ofKilpatrick? I don't know much of him other than from what I read about him being sketchy about buying a SUV with "questionable" funds, and histryst with the DA (I think it was the DA)....it will be fascinating to see how this turns out...

text messages have been screwing people alot latey.

ain't that the truth....

What do people in the D think of Kilpatrick?
I moved from the D a few years ago, but when I was there I think most people genuinely liked Kwame.
He was a young, Black male who was the leader of the city and basically wanted what we all wanted...to restore the city of Detroit.
Of course there were people who didn't like him because of who he was, but I sensed that they still respected his vision...

Granted this was all before shhh hit the fan
laugh.gif

YO! This deeply saddens me. Dude is my frat brother. Homie was like the man at all our conventions a couple years ago. Now all of this...
frown.gif
DF!!!

Funny cuz I just had a random conversation about Kwame today with one of my school advisors cuz he know Im from the D...
What do people in the D think of Kilpatrick?
Everybody had love for him when he first got elected, was quick to give him a pass on a few things, including that SUV incident, withmost saying it was blown out of proportion....nowdays if his name is brung up, its somebody tryna get some laughs, he's just the punchline to jokes,basically Clinton status...nobody hates him, cuz at the end of the day, there is no one person that could fix the city (and it was unfair that kinda hope wasput on him), but nobody takes him serious anymore

Sad part about it is she graduated from my high school. Detroit King one of the best three schools in the D.
My history teacher hates Kwame because of it. My speech teacher taught Kwame when she was at Cass and said him and Beatty been at it for a mintue.

So lemme get this straight....

You have a CORRUPT MAYOR that likes to send provocative TEXT MESSAGES to women he works with.

One of these texts could be about a STRIPPER from FIVE YEARS AGO.

And the word is the MAYOR planned a HIT.......on a STRIPPER?

And this comes out ON VALENTINE'S DAY???

WWWOOOOOWWWW........Soooo how's that Biggie/Pac murder case coming along again?

LMAO @ Politics, these ppl do and get away with stuff like there is no law.....

TEXT MESSAGE SCANDAL
[h5]Mayor says he hasn't decided if he'll appeal to state high court[/h5]
February 14, 2008

By DAVID ASHENFELTER

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatick said today he hasn't decided if he will go to the Michigan Supreme Court in an effort to stop the release of secret settlement documents in a deal struck to hide text messages that showed that he and former chief of staff Christine Beatty lied during a police whistleblower trial last year.

"There's nothing new at this point to add," Kilpatrick said today after attending U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Damon Keith's annual Soul Food Luncheon.
He said he was returning to his office to confer with his staff on how to proceed.

"At the point we have something new, we'll say so," he told a group of reporters gathered at the Federal Courthouse in downtown Detroit.

On Wednesday, a Michigan Court of Appeals panel upheld a lower court ruling that a secret agreement and a lawyer's deposition transcript relating to the October settlement of police whistleblower cases for $8.4 million can be released under a Freedom of Information suit brought by the Free Press.

Kilpatrick has until the end of business Friday to ask the high court to take up the case.

Meanwhile, the documents remain sealed. The documents will become opened Tueday if the Supreme Court does not take the case, or if it declines to keep the documents sealed until it can rule on the matter.
At the luncheon, Kilpatrick gave Christopher Ilitch, President and CEO of Ilitch Holdings, a key to the city for his family's continued involvement in sports, entertainment and development
Aww man this is just getting worse and worse...if those documents become open to the public the Free Press is going to have a field day
eek.gif

I'm assuming he will appeal but it's not his money so I doubt that Kwame even cares...let the taxpayers of Detroit foot the bill.
All this in an attempt to save face? Doesn't he realize that his name is ruined at this point?
ohwell.gif

Yo you people have to be dumb as hell to not see this numnut did this hit.

Did you all not read of the people he got fired or transferred or something?

After all of the settlements and money awarded you'd think they'd get rid of his dumb self.

Back
Top Bottom