Do you think Enlisting in the Military is noble?

I think the military is great for certain people and it obviously serves an essential purpose. When it becomes not cool is when they become a tool for Bush's oil missions.
I always said, though, if I was a kid out of high school with no shot at a decent job, college, or overall future, I'd join up in a second. Basically an instant career if you're capable of simple tasks.

I think the military is great for certain people and it obviously serves an essential purpose. When it becomes not cool is when they become a tool for Bush's oil missions.
I always said, though, if I was a kid out of high school with no shot at a decent job, college, or overall future, I'd join up in a second. Basically an instant career if you're capable of simple tasks.

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

I don't think it is but I say thanks to the dudes that do even though most of the ones I know do it for $$$ gain.  Nothing wrong with that
It pays off and feels good when you earn your @#$@ instead of having it handed to you.
I don't agree with this cause handed to you or earned feels the same in the end.  Now the person that didn't grind for it might lose it quicker (cause they don't value it as much) but if they don't where is the difference?

How would you know? Because you THINK?
laugh.gif

It doesn't just stop at the benefits. You have to utilize those benefits correctly in order to reap them. Chances are if you were a slacker for your whole enlistment, that you won't even come close to using your benefits to complete school, get a career, buy a house, and support your family without living check to check. All because you don't take things seriously. I know dudes that are in their 40's and have done this. I also know dudes in their 40's that took advantage and are doing pretty well for themselves. The difference is in the type of person oyu are from the start.

I don't think it is but I say thanks to the dudes that do even though most of the ones I know do it for $$$ gain.  Nothing wrong with that
It pays off and feels good when you earn your @#$@ instead of having it handed to you.
I don't agree with this cause handed to you or earned feels the same in the end.  Now the person that didn't grind for it might lose it quicker (cause they don't value it as much) but if they don't where is the difference?

laugh.gif

It doesn't just stop at the benefits. You have to utilize those benefits correctly in order to reap them. Chances are if you were a slacker for your whole enlistment, that you won't even come close to using your benefits to complete school, get a career, buy a house, and support your family without living check to check. All because you don't take things seriously. I know dudes that are in their 40's and have done this. I also know dudes in their 40's that took advantage and are doing pretty well for themselves. The difference is in the type of person oyu are from the start.

I'm curious to how you guys feel about joining the military after receiving a bachelor's degree? I have thought of joining after finishing school with a bachelor's in nursing...

I'm curious to how you guys feel about joining the military after receiving a bachelor's degree? I have thought of joining after finishing school with a bachelor's in nursing...

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

laugh.gif

Or you were too lazy or unimaginative to figure out a way to obtain all that without endangering your life. Theres a million ways to make money in america, stop making it seem like working hard and earning your money is respectable. Theres nothing cool abot working hard
laugh.gif
. Im patrotic as hell and I love America, but going to military is a cop out for most folks, just the way it is. Id rather the youth do positive things to put america back on the map with innovation than by signing up to be a mindless pawn.

laugh.gif

Or you were too lazy or unimaginative to figure out a way to obtain all that without endangering your life. Theres a million ways to make money in america, stop making it seem like working hard and earning your money is respectable. Theres nothing cool abot working hard
laugh.gif
. Im patrotic as hell and I love America, but going to military is a cop out for most folks, just the way it is. Id rather the youth do positive things to put america back on the map with innovation than by signing up to be a mindless pawn.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Originally Posted by roc4life24

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Is NT even mature enough for a question like this...
  They care only about themselves, and what America can do for them and not what they can do for the betterment of this country. 

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
how does signing up  for a military mean you are for the betterment of this country? i would like to see America do good things,but tell me how does unjust wars accomplish that goal?

basically what your saying is that to "repay" the lifestyle benefits here in America i must kill innocent people elsewhere with no just cause...oh okay
Enlisting means you volunteer to protect and serve this Nation.  Whether people join for the right reasons or not, our country requires a military force so that we spoiled civilians can continue with our everyday lives without giving a second thought that there are millions of people from other nations that want nothing but the destruction of the US.   They do the things we don't want to do because we're too busy with Madden 2011 or waiting in line for a Jordan release.  They go on long deployments and sacrifice their jobs, hobbies, love lives, etc... so that we can watch the NFL and not have to worry about a bomb going off in our local Starbucks.  So if you don't call that type of volunteer service a betterment of our Nation, then I don't know what to tell you.

Also you're making it sound like every single American that enlisted is a killing machine.  I know Doctors that are in the military and guess what they do?   My boy is a field medic and he has a told me stories of saving Iraqis injured in a bomb blast.  Or my other boy who is a Navy Chaplain and have counseled countless Marines, and their families.  Anything noble about the service they perform?

eyes.gif
 @ "unjust" cause.  Whether it's right or wrong, our govt who were elected by the people of America chose this direction and have chosen this direction for the past 9+ years.  Plus if it's so unjust why are you still here in America?  Put on your limited edition Che Guevara t-shirt, leave the country and renounce your US Citizenship.  There is a place for you in Canada.  I don't understand why people say stupid #%#! like these wars are unjust but still continue to live here.  Don't you have a spine?  Take a stand like some of my activist friends and leave the country.  Why continue to live/work here and pay Federal income taxes that funds these bullets for these "unjust" wars. 

Get a clue the threat to our country is real.  Obama is prove of this. Dude a few years ago was on the streets of Chicago with the Anti-War crowd talking about bringing troops home in 12 months. 
laugh.gif
Now as President, he has requested billions and have sent more boots/armor/weapons and is building more bases in Afghanistan.  Why? Common sense would indicate that maybe he now has Joint Chief of Staff intel reports and knows the danger is real?  Hmmmm.
I see the brainwashing is almost complete. I pray  troops dont die but always been against every war we've been in or ever read about.

so basically i should enlist into the military to serve and "protect" the corporate interests because of bullying we do overseas to gain oil and land resources? of course we would have "threats" because grown
men will have a problem giving up their resources to the international bankers. they have their govt and their own set of issues, so forcing our form of govt on them (to gain the resources) will cause major conflicts.

of course the military needs civilian level positions filled but thats at the every operation level of any nation. What i was aiming at was the entire operation of pointless military spending and wars.

And no we voted in the president(s) to fight on our behalf we needed and based on truth. I assume we are fighting in Saudi Arabia because thats where the terrorists came from right?  the iraq/afghan is clearly a land grab by US considering we are building permanent bases in Iraq and leaving 50k advisors (troops) there.

I assume you know why the afghan is mad? because we pulled out of  promise after they beat the Russians.

by threat do you mean the pre war level mind games being played on Iran?

And no i am not going anywhere. I have a right to disagree with a govt recklessly fighting. those geographical lines on a map mean little to me.

Originally Posted by roc4life24

Is NT even mature enough for a question like this...
  They care only about themselves, and what America can do for them and not what they can do for the betterment of this country. 

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
how does signing up  for a military mean you are for the betterment of this country? i would like to see America do good things,but tell me how does unjust wars accomplish that goal?

basically what your saying is that to "repay" the lifestyle benefits here in America i must kill innocent people elsewhere with no just cause...oh okay
Enlisting means you volunteer to protect and serve this Nation.  Whether people join for the right reasons or not, our country requires a military force so that we spoiled civilians can continue with our everyday lives without giving a second thought that there are millions of people from other nations that want nothing but the destruction of the US.   They do the things we don't want to do because we're too busy with Madden 2011 or waiting in line for a Jordan release.  They go on long deployments and sacrifice their jobs, hobbies, love lives, etc... so that we can watch the NFL and not have to worry about a bomb going off in our local Starbucks.  So if you don't call that type of volunteer service a betterment of our Nation, then I don't know what to tell you.

Also you're making it sound like every single American that enlisted is a killing machine.  I know Doctors that are in the military and guess what they do?   My boy is a field medic and he has a told me stories of saving Iraqis injured in a bomb blast.  Or my other boy who is a Navy Chaplain and have counseled countless Marines, and their families.  Anything noble about the service they perform?

eyes.gif
 @ "unjust" cause.  Whether it's right or wrong, our govt who were elected by the people of America chose this direction and have chosen this direction for the past 9+ years.  Plus if it's so unjust why are you still here in America?  Put on your limited edition Che Guevara t-shirt, leave the country and renounce your US Citizenship.  There is a place for you in Canada.  I don't understand why people say stupid #%#! like these wars are unjust but still continue to live here.  Don't you have a spine?  Take a stand like some of my activist friends and leave the country.  Why continue to live/work here and pay Federal income taxes that funds these bullets for these "unjust" wars. 

Get a clue the threat to our country is real.  Obama is prove of this. Dude a few years ago was on the streets of Chicago with the Anti-War crowd talking about bringing troops home in 12 months. 
laugh.gif
Now as President, he has requested billions and have sent more boots/armor/weapons and is building more bases in Afghanistan.  Why? Common sense would indicate that maybe he now has Joint Chief of Staff intel reports and knows the danger is real?  Hmmmm.
I see the brainwashing is almost complete. I pray  troops dont die but always been against every war we've been in or ever read about.

so basically i should enlist into the military to serve and "protect" the corporate interests because of bullying we do overseas to gain oil and land resources? of course we would have "threats" because grown
men will have a problem giving up their resources to the international bankers. they have their govt and their own set of issues, so forcing our form of govt on them (to gain the resources) will cause major conflicts.

of course the military needs civilian level positions filled but thats at the every operation level of any nation. What i was aiming at was the entire operation of pointless military spending and wars.

And no we voted in the president(s) to fight on our behalf we needed and based on truth. I assume we are fighting in Saudi Arabia because thats where the terrorists came from right?  the iraq/afghan is clearly a land grab by US considering we are building permanent bases in Iraq and leaving 50k advisors (troops) there.

I assume you know why the afghan is mad? because we pulled out of  promise after they beat the Russians.

by threat do you mean the pre war level mind games being played on Iran?

And no i am not going anywhere. I have a right to disagree with a govt recklessly fighting. those geographical lines on a map mean little to me.

Originally Posted by GetThisMoney

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yeah, because that's what America was built on. Laziness and finding the easy way out. According to you, going into the military is a cop out. Not being able to provide other valid ways in your previous statement just null your point. So you're telling me police officers and medical personnel are mindless pawns? They follow similar protocols that are based on military policy to accomplish their jobs.  If somebody robs your home, who are you going to call? Oh that's right, a mindless pawn of society cop.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
Kids like you are EXACTLY what's wrong with America. I don't think people go into the military to "be cool". If they do, they're idiots along with the people that think that. You endanger your life every single day you step out of your hut to go to the store, work, or anywhere else. You can easily be killed walking down the street or driving in your car through some freak accident. Your chances of dying increase in some instances like going to combat but that shouldn't make you tremble and run away if you're a man. You're "patriotic" because other people have lived and died to provide you with your freedom, so you reap the benefits of others' sacrifices. You're probably the type that I was mentioning before, you'd run to the hills and hide if all hell broke loose around here. Walk up to a group of active personnel or veterans and tell them the words you're writing on NT and I bet you'd just keep walking after quickly thinking twice. If all of America thought like you, we'd be Afghanistan. 

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yeah, because that's what America was built on. Laziness and finding the easy way out. According to you, going into the military is a cop out. Not being able to provide other valid ways in your previous statement just null your point. So you're telling me police officers and medical personnel are mindless pawns? They follow similar protocols that are based on military policy to accomplish their jobs.  If somebody robs your home, who are you going to call? Oh that's right, a mindless pawn of society cop.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
Kids like you are EXACTLY what's wrong with America. I don't think people go into the military to "be cool". If they do, they're idiots along with the people that think that. You endanger your life every single day you step out of your hut to go to the store, work, or anywhere else. You can easily be killed walking down the street or driving in your car through some freak accident. Your chances of dying increase in some instances like going to combat but that shouldn't make you tremble and run away if you're a man. You're "patriotic" because other people have lived and died to provide you with your freedom, so you reap the benefits of others' sacrifices. You're probably the type that I was mentioning before, you'd run to the hills and hide if all hell broke loose around here. Walk up to a group of active personnel or veterans and tell them the words you're writing on NT and I bet you'd just keep walking after quickly thinking twice. If all of America thought like you, we'd be Afghanistan. 

I think for a majority of individuals, joining the military is a way out of a bad situation. I'd like to start off this post by saying that I am currently considering the military, but the only thing that is holding me back is the chance of death. I believe I have alot to offer the world and would like to live out the dreams that I have had since I was young. However with mounting student loans, a HORRIBLE job market with a double dip recession on the way and a sense of hopelessness and failure, I believe the military maybe the only option I have left.

The military has become a way out, you are considered a stand up guy for defending our nation in times of war, a true patriot and nobleman. But let's be honest here, that is far from the truth in MOST cases. Many of the young men fighting for us on the frontlines were unable to perform well in a classroom, lack skills that will translate to the professional world or simply have lived a life of trouble. I appauld these men for making the choice to fight for our nation, because someone has to do it. That to me is honorable. Like I said I'm considering the military mainly for the benefits, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger (no pun) because of death or serious injury. Anyone who can fight on our frontlines facing those odds deserves some sort of recognition, whether or not you believe in the wars our nation is currently fighting. So to everyone in here disgracing our servicemen as being pawns, in theory you might be right, but they are still dedicating their lives to protect their fellow soldiers, citizens and American interests even if their is a much larger picture going on behind the scenes.

Here is the problem I have with the military and the question of nobility however. The power trip. Many servicemen feel invincible, as if because they served they should be given a pass to do whatever or to talk down to others who haven't served. Many Marines, etc live lifes full of trouble when they get back, alcoholism and drug abuse is a large issue as is domestic violence. Is this because of the things they saw? Maybe. But you signed up to enter war and you shouldn't use that as an excuse to treat others without the common courtesy that they deserve. Many have an inflated ego which shouldn't be the case either. I know for a fact when you enter the military they are big on discipline and nobility but as soon as some soldiers come home they throw those rules out the window.

If you are truly a noble serviceman, you will do your time, get out and act as if a soldier should. With dignity, charecter, maturity and honor. Not with an inflated ego and power trip. I know some may get mad at these comments but I'm not saying this is true of all enlisted in the military just the bad apples.

Also, someone brought up the fact that joining hte military made them a man and got them out of their parents house, their own money, etc. etc and basically talked down to someone who was stating his opinions that the military isnt noble. this is what I am talking about. If one has differing opinions and your served why throw negative comments their way? It makes you more of a man that you signed on a line to enlist so you can get finanical backing? What about the millions of men that risk everything to get a degree or start a business to get of their feet rather than picking up a rifle? Does that make you less of a man?

Like come on, being in the military is noble if you are truely doing it for a good reason and can live life with honor. If you are signing on a line to collect some benefits and come home with an inflated ego, than, yes, I still respect your service, but I can't respect you as a person.

I think for a majority of individuals, joining the military is a way out of a bad situation. I'd like to start off this post by saying that I am currently considering the military, but the only thing that is holding me back is the chance of death. I believe I have alot to offer the world and would like to live out the dreams that I have had since I was young. However with mounting student loans, a HORRIBLE job market with a double dip recession on the way and a sense of hopelessness and failure, I believe the military maybe the only option I have left.

The military has become a way out, you are considered a stand up guy for defending our nation in times of war, a true patriot and nobleman. But let's be honest here, that is far from the truth in MOST cases. Many of the young men fighting for us on the frontlines were unable to perform well in a classroom, lack skills that will translate to the professional world or simply have lived a life of trouble. I appauld these men for making the choice to fight for our nation, because someone has to do it. That to me is honorable. Like I said I'm considering the military mainly for the benefits, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger (no pun) because of death or serious injury. Anyone who can fight on our frontlines facing those odds deserves some sort of recognition, whether or not you believe in the wars our nation is currently fighting. So to everyone in here disgracing our servicemen as being pawns, in theory you might be right, but they are still dedicating their lives to protect their fellow soldiers, citizens and American interests even if their is a much larger picture going on behind the scenes.

Here is the problem I have with the military and the question of nobility however. The power trip. Many servicemen feel invincible, as if because they served they should be given a pass to do whatever or to talk down to others who haven't served. Many Marines, etc live lifes full of trouble when they get back, alcoholism and drug abuse is a large issue as is domestic violence. Is this because of the things they saw? Maybe. But you signed up to enter war and you shouldn't use that as an excuse to treat others without the common courtesy that they deserve. Many have an inflated ego which shouldn't be the case either. I know for a fact when you enter the military they are big on discipline and nobility but as soon as some soldiers come home they throw those rules out the window.

If you are truly a noble serviceman, you will do your time, get out and act as if a soldier should. With dignity, charecter, maturity and honor. Not with an inflated ego and power trip. I know some may get mad at these comments but I'm not saying this is true of all enlisted in the military just the bad apples.

Also, someone brought up the fact that joining hte military made them a man and got them out of their parents house, their own money, etc. etc and basically talked down to someone who was stating his opinions that the military isnt noble. this is what I am talking about. If one has differing opinions and your served why throw negative comments their way? It makes you more of a man that you signed on a line to enlist so you can get finanical backing? What about the millions of men that risk everything to get a degree or start a business to get of their feet rather than picking up a rifle? Does that make you less of a man?

Like come on, being in the military is noble if you are truely doing it for a good reason and can live life with honor. If you are signing on a line to collect some benefits and come home with an inflated ego, than, yes, I still respect your service, but I can't respect you as a person.

PoloLax, I'm sure there are a few dudes that do it for the glory or what not but, you have to realize that most guys that go in to the service aren't going in for recognition or even just the benefits. When I was 17 I had choices. Continue going to school on pell grants and a couple of scholarships or just work. That wasn't enough for me since I was tired of sitting in class, living at home, and tired with the redundancy of working high schooler jobs since the age of 14. I saved a lot of money, still have some of that money. I decided that I'd rather kill not two but a few birds with one stone by joining the Marines. I could serve my country, travel, learn life, and meet new people, and trrades all at the same time. I had plenty of options but chose the one that appealed to ME the most. Not what others thought was the best. It was the ambition and determination that I had and still have. That's exactly what I did and earned benefits along the way. Which is a BONUS. A 1 up if you will.

Speaking for myself as a veteran, I don't look down on anyone for whatever choices they want to make but when someone is talking down to me or the military like it's some type of inferior occupation that can be avoided, I'm going to speak out. It's not about a God complex, power trip, etc. It's about lack of respect towards my brothers and I. It's about me speaking out against those ignorant people that don't really know what they're saying. How is someone going to sit back and let a couple of kids speak on something that they don't know about? What another man eats doesn't make me #$@^ but, if they're throwing that crap around from the mouth then I'm going to have to put a foot in there to stop it from coming out if it's directed in my vicinity. No matter the platform. Anything else is irrelevant to me when it comes to that person. Some of us don't walk around announcing that we're veterans or expect to have a "pass" with our "invincibility" either. It's usually the boot Marines and rookie soldiers that have that mentality. Kids still in their teens or very early 20's. The rest of us know better. When someone that's never served voices their "opinion" on nobility and the military, the next person that was ACTUALLY in the service has the right to refute and correct someone, especially if that other person is talking down and doesn't know what they're talking about in the first place.

PoloLax, I'm sure there are a few dudes that do it for the glory or what not but, you have to realize that most guys that go in to the service aren't going in for recognition or even just the benefits. When I was 17 I had choices. Continue going to school on pell grants and a couple of scholarships or just work. That wasn't enough for me since I was tired of sitting in class, living at home, and tired with the redundancy of working high schooler jobs since the age of 14. I saved a lot of money, still have some of that money. I decided that I'd rather kill not two but a few birds with one stone by joining the Marines. I could serve my country, travel, learn life, and meet new people, and trrades all at the same time. I had plenty of options but chose the one that appealed to ME the most. Not what others thought was the best. It was the ambition and determination that I had and still have. That's exactly what I did and earned benefits along the way. Which is a BONUS. A 1 up if you will.

Speaking for myself as a veteran, I don't look down on anyone for whatever choices they want to make but when someone is talking down to me or the military like it's some type of inferior occupation that can be avoided, I'm going to speak out. It's not about a God complex, power trip, etc. It's about lack of respect towards my brothers and I. It's about me speaking out against those ignorant people that don't really know what they're saying. How is someone going to sit back and let a couple of kids speak on something that they don't know about? What another man eats doesn't make me #$@^ but, if they're throwing that crap around from the mouth then I'm going to have to put a foot in there to stop it from coming out if it's directed in my vicinity. No matter the platform. Anything else is irrelevant to me when it comes to that person. Some of us don't walk around announcing that we're veterans or expect to have a "pass" with our "invincibility" either. It's usually the boot Marines and rookie soldiers that have that mentality. Kids still in their teens or very early 20's. The rest of us know better. When someone that's never served voices their "opinion" on nobility and the military, the next person that was ACTUALLY in the service has the right to refute and correct someone, especially if that other person is talking down and doesn't know what they're talking about in the first place.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif

No, policemen know the enemy. They know who they are protecting, they respond to calls. I call a cop i want his protection. Medics help people who are hurt, people who want to be helped. Iraqis never called the US for help. Dont even compare the military to them. At any moment you can quit being a cop if you dont agree with it. You have control. In the military you are a mindless pawn contracted by the govt. There has been no attack on our soil to justify any fight. There were way more than enough people in the military to protect us, instead they are spending valuable lives for other countries instead of ours. It is a cop out fo most people, many in this thread have proved that. You build nothing for america by signing up in infantry, even by me being lazy and not working ive setup a business for lcd screen suppliers made right here in new jersey to distribute their screens across the country by fixing computers used by americans. Now tell me how you have protected my rights? Ill pick up a gun myself if intruders came to our shores, as a matter of fact a draft can legally require me to. Say what you want, i dont owe you any more respect than the tax dollars my family paid to you.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif

No, policemen know the enemy. They know who they are protecting, they respond to calls. I call a cop i want his protection. Medics help people who are hurt, people who want to be helped. Iraqis never called the US for help. Dont even compare the military to them. At any moment you can quit being a cop if you dont agree with it. You have control. In the military you are a mindless pawn contracted by the govt. There has been no attack on our soil to justify any fight. There were way more than enough people in the military to protect us, instead they are spending valuable lives for other countries instead of ours. It is a cop out fo most people, many in this thread have proved that. You build nothing for america by signing up in infantry, even by me being lazy and not working ive setup a business for lcd screen suppliers made right here in new jersey to distribute their screens across the country by fixing computers used by americans. Now tell me how you have protected my rights? Ill pick up a gun myself if intruders came to our shores, as a matter of fact a draft can legally require me to. Say what you want, i dont owe you any more respect than the tax dollars my family paid to you.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif

Gottabdshoes you sure you was in the service instead of the girl scouts cause you sure are acting a tad bit too emotional to what I said. I didn't take shots at you or anybody so what's the prob man? I'm answering the ? that was asked nothing more

Gottabdshoes you sure you was in the service instead of the girl scouts cause you sure are acting a tad bit too emotional to what I said. I didn't take shots at you or anybody so what's the prob man? I'm answering the ? that was asked nothing more

its noble if your ignorant, if you think your going into the military and the only thing u will be doing is protecting your country  then its noble,,

its noble if your ignorant, if you think your going into the military and the only thing u will be doing is protecting your country  then its noble,,

You're contradicting yourself there Peteweezy. If I was in the girl scouts then you were rejected by them for not having enough fortitude playa.

Back
Top Bottom