Does it really matter how long it takes to graduate university? (anti-college thread)

I'm entering 3rd year and I think university is really useless.. got tons of friends with all kinds of degrees working at starbucks with thousands in debt. school itself is a damb scamb, but that's a whole other story and wont get into it (watch "The College Conspiracy" on youtube... for all you college-heads, it'll blow your mind)

dont get me wrong, i understand that a degree is important, but yall gotta admit, a degree just doesnt take you as far as it did 50+ years ago.

Anyways, ive decided to drop my "education" down a couple spots on my priority list, which means i'll be taking it slow. My question: does it REALLY matter WHEN you get that piece of paper? IMHO, college and universities rob kids blind, promising a good job....KEY WORD: PROMISE, not 100%.. I think it just isnt worth it. Why not use all of that time, money, and energy on building an asset that will help you in the future?

like damb, i'm paying 5 bills on a class that I KNOW i'll NEVER apply to my life.. all i'm doing is paying for the credits.....and that's ONLY IF I PASS. **%*#$# scam.....
30t6p3b.gif

well, there's my rant.

whats your take on this? i feel like everyone's going to college because it's the social "norm" and cuz everyone's doing it. Well, @%## that, i ain't like the 90% of kids who do what they are told and never be successful.

It doesn't, for some its more of a personal thing like "OMG if I don't graduate in 4 years I'm a failure, I've let my parents down, I'll never succeed in life."
And that piece of paper, according to older heads I've talked too, has lost a lot of weight over the years.
To me that paper means nothing if you can't execute.

dropped out after my 1st semester in my 4th year of college. that degree is worthless if you dont have drive, passion and direction. Fortunately, I have found all 3 without going through with finishing college. That option will always be there, but the opportunity that I refused to pass on will NOT always be there.

yall got it right on...

people these days are SO brainwashed, it's unbelievable. @%#* am i paying 5 bills on a course that will get me nowhere? why cant i just take the courses i ACTUALLY need and get out of here in 2 years?

Instead they have us going into debt, working 2-3 jobs just to pay off our tuition and other crap, without even a GUARANTEE that we will land a secure job/career thats related to our major or degree.... such a horrible investment if you ask me..

in HS, theres never a course on "how to handle money", or "how taxes work", or "how to run your own business".... instead, they have kids learning about rocks, weather, and frog dissections..... Like what the @%#*? I honestly think for the majority of us males on NT, life is pretty simple: be a good husband, be a good father, and have leverage over our time and money.

i ask myself, WHERE in Highschool OR college does it teach us this???!? instead im here learning about rocks. i mean if thats your passion, by all means go for it, but even IF you get a degree in geology, is that going to guarantee you a career in the future? Hell nah.. yet people are so damn brainwashed, its ridiculous

i know people who spent 4-5 years obtaining a BUSINESS degree, and i ask them what they gon do after, and they say "Get a job".............. LIke what the @%#*? Are you EVEN LISTENING to yourself bro? you have a BUSINESS degree, and you're looking to WORK for someone else's business?! gotdamn what did they do to you, son?!?

Wish I had this mindset before I went, I'm about to start year 4 and all that waits for me is debt.

In hindsight, unless your a math or history major, school taught us nothing that we can really use after college. Sure all that knowledge is good, but what good will it do if we can't get a job.

Originally Posted by Ground King

I'm entering 3rd year and I think university is really useless.. got tons of friends with all kinds of degrees working at starbucks with thousands in debt. school itself is a damb scamb, but that's a whole other story and wont get into it (watch "The College Conspiracy" on youtube... for all you college-heads, it'll blow your mind)

dont get me wrong, i understand that a degree is important, but yall gotta admit, a degree just doesnt take you as far as it did 50+ years ago.

Anyways, ive decided to drop my "education" down a couple spots on my priority list, which means i'll be taking it slow. My question: does it REALLY matter WHEN you get that piece of paper? IMHO, college and universities rob kids blind, promising a good job....KEY WORD: PROMISE, not 100%.. I think it just isnt worth it. Why not use all of that time, money, and energy on building an asset that will help you in the future?

like damb, i'm paying 5 bills on a class that I KNOW i'll NEVER apply to my life.. all i'm doing is paying for the credits.....and that's ONLY IF I PASS. **%*#$# scam.....
30t6p3b.gif

well, there's my rant.

whats your take on this? i feel like everyone's going to college because it's the social "norm" and cuz everyone's doing it. Well, @%## that, i ain't like the 90% of kids who do what they are told and never be successful.
I feel the people robbed most blinded are the ones who abandon their dreams or aspirations for a degree in something they were told is secure or prestigious, or guarantees them lots of money. Me, I was one of those, but then luckily I dicked around and took lots of GEs and found myself working on something totally different than what I first set out (which was engineering). At times I think, what if I just worked or did an apprenticeship towards a business I really thought about owning? What if I took that money from my parents to start that business instead of putting it into this thing I'm doing right now?

No matter what, going to college and getting that paper is the safest option in today's job market...there's no guarantees but at least you'll have a shot.

It's always the people who don't make the most out of college who complain.

I have NEVER heard someone who put forth the effort and took advantage of all that college had to offer say that college is a scam.

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

I have NEVER heard someone who put forth the effort and took advantage of all that college had to offer say that college is a scam.
There are definitely exceptions. there are exceptions to EVERYTHING. but what i dont get is, why people are investing so much on something that doesn't even guarantee what they are looking for? You can argue this all you want, but statistics show that 80% of college graduates will NEVER obtain a career that is even remotely related to their degree.

And you're lying if you're telling me you can easily think of 5 college students over the age of 18 who is NOT in debt.

edit: and trust me, I've been averaging a good 3.4 gpa throughout my 2.5 years at college, studying in a field that I actually love. safe to say, I am making the most out of college. But there are SO MANY other ways for me to be financially stable OTHER than doing what 90% of my peers are doing, and that is blindly wasting money on courses JUST for credits, AND NOT even being guaranteed a job/career.

I don't want that. I am truly passionate about what I am studying, but I know that there are no guarantees.... it's just not worth it IMO

Hate these threads. Graduating next week....nothing but 15k in debt. Smh. If I were to do It again I would have done the same thing, college has been a great experience.

if you can't make it out due to mediocre grades or a @+!! work ethic than you are only wasting your time time. if you switched majors or were pursuing professional endeavors in addition that took a while, i feel its not that big a deal. one of the people at my last internship took 6 years to finish up but he switched his major during his junior year and had to redo prereqs.

I also knew people who finished in 3 years. I wish I did that. I was way more comfortable in the office then in the classroom but it was the only way to break into the fields I was intredasted in.

College definitely aint the only way to go, but think about it this way, it's just an addition to the qualities you already have. Learning is power, and if you're treating college the way you should, you definitely learn. The money aspect though is very unappreciated.

people these days are SO brainwashed, it's unbelievable. @%#* am i paying 5 bills on a course that will get me nowhere? why cant i just take the courses i ACTUALLY need and get out of here in 2 years?

The main reason I didn't go to college.

but what i dont get is, why people are investing so much on something that doesn't even guarantee what they are looking for?
Why does anyone invest in anything? There are never guarantees when you invest in something. People are investing in themselves and hope it works out. You will be alot further behind everyone else with just a h.s. degree to your name these days.

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

There are definitely exceptions. there are exceptions to EVERYTHING. but what i dont get is, why people are investing so much on something that doesn't even guarantee what they are looking for? You can argue this all you want, but statistics show that 80% of college graduates will NEVER obtain a career that is even remotely related to their degree.

And you're lying if you're telling me you can easily think of 5 college students over the age of 18 who is NOT in debt.

edit: and trust me, I've been averaging a good 3.4 gpa throughout my 2.5 years at college, studying in a field that I actually love. safe to say, I am making the most out of college. But there are SO MANY other ways for me to be financially stable OTHER than doing what 90% of my peers are doing, and that is blindly wasting money on courses JUST for credits, AND NOT even being guaranteed a job/career.

I don't want that. I am truly passionate about what I am studying, but I know that there are no guarantees.... it's just not worth it IMO
Depends on what you want to go into, and how elite you want to be within that field.
Hell, if you want to be some middle-manager at your local public relations firm or something, go ahead and start at the bottom and work your way up. There are a lot of kids who slack off in school and expect to get somewhere just because they have a degree.... $*$! that. You're not going to get anywhere. I WILL say that most people with a degree do better than those with just a HS diploma, but if you're just sliding by then it won't really mean much.

I'm actually not in debt at the moment. Going into my 3rd year, on schedule, and I'll probably graduate about 15k in debt. However, with my GPA, internship experience, and network, I'm looking at paying all of that off soon after I graduate. At least that's my goal. And at the places where I want to go, where you'll be making serious cash, you'll get laughed at if you go into an interview without a college degree and solid internship experience. And say you do decide to drop out and get some solid experience, that's great. But there are others who will be getting that same kind of experience while also getting a degree, so when you finally decide to go back to school you'll definitely be far behind your original peer group. 

But that's just my view, from my field. I'm sure there are many other fields where you can slide by without a degree or you'll be on track even if you get your degree late, but that's not my field. So I basically feel like you have to take this kind of decision on a case-by-case basis.

Back
Top Bottom