Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Anyone have any experience with J.Crew ludlow suits? Interested in: https://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/TheLudlowShop/Wool/PRDOVR~11707/99101649056/11707.jsp

I know they are online only, but would I be able to go into a J. Crew store, have them take my measurements, and order it through them? Do the have a tailor on-site? I believe i will receive a 15% student discount through J. Crew.
I actually bought one maybe a month ago. Someone here reccomended I check out J. Crew's Ludlow Shop in Manhattan.

The suit was great. Fit perfect. All that needed to be done was a bit of hemming on the pants and it was done there and complimentary. Got a lot of compliments when I wore it.

Can't complain.

If you're not in NY, maybe give them a call. They have Ludlow's in most J. Crew locations, just not as wide a selection.

Last edited:
I actually bought one maybe a month ago. Someone here reccomended I check out J. Crew's Ludlow Shop in Manhattan.

The suit was great. Fit perfect. All that needed to be done was a bit of hemming on the pants and it was done there and complimentary. Got a lot of compliments when I wore it.

Can't complain.

If you're not in NY, maybe give them a call. They have Ludlow's in most J. Crew locations, just not as wide a selection.
Appreciate it fam', I go to school about 15 minutes outside of Manhattan so shouldn't have a problem making my way to the Ludlow shop there.

Appreciate it fam', I go to school about 15 minutes outside of Manhattan so shouldn't have a problem making my way to the Ludlow shop there.
They'll take your measurement there. I ordered mine online but I went into J. Crew, they measured me, and placed an order for me. The pants needed to be hemmed and the sleeves need to be shortened but other than that, it went well.

The price is a little too much though...

Are Cole Haan Lunargrands that comfortable? Are they comparable to say a running sneaker?

They have a decent sale going on, woudnt mind a pair at those prices.

The fit of SuitSuipply products depends on the cut (i.e. Washington, Lazio, Napoli, etc.). The fit also depends on your frame but I would say the Napoli is true to size. Their suits are half-canvassed but aside from that, the quality is great. I wouldn't even really consider being half-canvassed is a problem, especially at this price point. SuitSupply never has sales. It's just a part of their business model. I know people will mention the "Outlet" they had online last year but it was mostly was older stuff they had sitting around that they figured they could at least get some cash for. Unfortunately, there were A LOT of returns and they considered it a flop so I'm not sure it'll happen again. I had a peer who bought five suits from it and returned all of them :x :smh: :stoneface:

Napoli is their classic fit and their most forgiving in terms of cut. Washington is a slim cut.

As you are near Manhattan why not stop by Suit Supply? They have some classic colors like navy and gray/charcoal. For the price of the Ludlow jacket you can get a complete 2 piece suit at Suit Supply. They also have tailors on-site and their alteration costs are very competitive. Their is one in SoHo and another by the Apple Store on 5th Avenue.

In terms of construction both are half-canvassed.

re: Suit Supply.

the Napoli fit is superb if you are carrying a little extra weight.

Also, order multiple sizes, free returns and it's very easy and they refund your money quickly. Great company

Just out of curiosity, why do you say that? Are the materials sub par? The cut? I'm a suit noon, enlighten me.

Materials are good but you can get something of the same quality such as from SuitSupply for $469 plus alteration cost versus a Ludlow at full price even with the 15% student discount. You'll still be spending close to $600 plus alteration costs. Construction in terms of canvassing which matters is the same.

Unless you catch a sale, ludlow ain't worth it.

15% student aint cutting it IMO. You need a 30% off sale just to put it on the same price point as SS.

Last edited:
^ ^
RL Black Label when on sale?

For retail, your choices are limited to Hugo Boss or something, which I really wouldn't suggest at retail. Go tot Nordstrom Rack and have fun trying on all the suits you find in your size. I haven't really looked there in a while but I think they might still have Zegna and Burberry for around $500..

Probably the best advice you could get. I wish I had known about this stuff when I was buying suits for $2500+ a few years ago.

If I'm not mistaken @RFX45, aren't the Zegna suits found in Nordstorm just called "Black Label" suits, but they use Zegna cloth? I might be thinking of Saks fifth ave here. I'm not sure.

Anyway, +1 for RL Black Label. They do make some really nice suits and you could find them for under $1k when on sale.

Last edited:
^ ^
RL Black Label when on sale?

For retail, your choices are limited to Hugo Boss or something, which I really wouldn't suggest at retail. Go tot Nordstrom Rack and have fun trying on all the suits you find in your size. I haven't really looked there in a while but I think they might still have Zegna and Burberry for around $500..

Probably the best advice you could get. I wish I had known about this stuff when I was buying suits for $2500+ a few years ago.

If I'm not mistaken @RFX45, aren't the Zegna suits found in Nordstorm just called "Black Label" suits, but they use Zegna cloth? I might be thinking of Saks fifth ave here. I'm not sure.

Anyway, +1 for RL Black Label. They do make some really nice suits and you could find them for under $1k when on sale.
Damb Hank.

$2500 is bespoke son.

You're thinking Saks for that "Zegna cloth" line.

I've never seen Mainline Zegna at the Rack (or Nordstroms for that matter). They might carry some Z-Zegna, but I've still never seen it there. I have seen Canali a lot at the Rack for around $800 though.

any body have any experience with the allen edmonds ventura highways? am wanting some drivers and like the full rubber covering on the bottom...

Btw, today:

That would look 10x better with a white tee, the simpler the better when it comes to kicks like that...

Back
Top Bottom