Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Patiently awaiting denim challenge entries
The back to back rain is killing my ideas here since I'm stuck with wearing rugged boots/shoes for the most part. Suppose to clear up after Monday, but I'll try to pull a denim outfit tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend a raincoat with a hood, nothing to expensive or fancy...all help is appreciated thanks

Well, the engagement party isn't entirely formal. I'm only a teenager, so I probably have a different sense of style than most of the guys here. Personally, I don't find them ugly, and although I was considering wearing some black wingtips, I'll just stick to these.
Thanks for the input, though. It was a lot more constructive than just calling them "ugly" or "tacky". :lol:
If you're still a teen then you can probably get away with it, man. Just throw on a super skinny tie like you're going for a look that can be seen at a mannequin at a mall store. The reason a lot of people don't like it is because boat shoes are very casual shoes, and patent is a formal material historically. The shape of the shoe is also bulky, not fitting for dress trousers.

I always empty out the stock on those shoe trees at Rack :lol:
Sweater looks good. Also another point for no visible shirt collar under the sweater, A.
:lol: with the amount of purchases you make, its very understandable why you move so much volume for them haha
and to your point for no collar showing...went under-shirtless :D

Reactions: wj4
^Shirtless is the way to go, man. Either a sport/dress shirt or nada at all. I used to wear a white crew neck under, but at times the t shirt would be too long so I tucked it into my trousers. With the sweater off, I looked like I should be in Saved by the Bell with a t shirt tucked into my trouseres :lol:

I sometimes browse the Alden Thread on SF and it boggles my mind that there are members who have been buying Aldens for 30+ years, and still wearing pairs that are older than I am.

If you're still a teen then you can probably get away with it, man. Just throw on a super skinny tie like you're going for a look that can be seen at a mannequin at a mall store. The reason a lot of people don't like it is because boat shoes are very casual shoes, and patent is a formal material historically. The shape of the shoe is also bulky, not fitting for dress trousers.

The shoes aren't bulky at all in person, in fact they're very proportionate to my body. That was my train of though: Where I'm going, boat shoes are very fashionable, and since its a sort-of formal event, the patent would fit in. I'm wearing the shoes with black levi 508 chinos (stretch-skinny) w/ a button-up under a slim black cardigan, and I might even put on a skinny black tie per your suggestion, thanks!

I always empty out the stock on those shoe trees at Rack :lol:
Sweater looks good. Also another point for no visible shirt collar under the sweater, A.

may need to do that one day at NR, got a pair yesterday for my SS.

My Target pretty much got everything of the Neiman Marcus x Target collar, everything but the blazer by Thom Brown blazer. Didn't sell out, never got it for women nor men. They literally have everything else though and a lot of it, I see it getting marked down quickly at my local Target.

its funny on all the sales the eastland boots in black or that light brown color are on sale. but the brown ones are never on sale smh.i guess due to popular demand. i've never been a fan of black boots for some reason

The shoes aren't bulky at all in person, in fact they're very proportionate to my body. That was my train of though: Where I'm going, boat shoes are very fashionable, and since its a sort-of formal event, the patent would fit in. I'm wearing the shoes with black levi 508 chinos (stretch-skinny) w/ a button-up under a slim black cardigan, and I might even put on a skinny black tie per your suggestion, thanks!
I've had Sperrys back in undergrad, and unless the last of the shoe changed...it's bulky. I'm not talking about to your body, but as a whole to other formal shoes.

If you plan on wearing chinos then it's not really a formal event. Maybe this is on the same formal as a high school prom?

If you care to read:

For a true formal event, you should go with an elongated shape shoe like the double monk strap on the right side in the picture.

Last edited:
It's childish and gimicky looking - period. No mens watch, regardless of price point, should have font that large.

Love DB's

since we're on the topic, what do you guys think of this?

both are the same watch, btw.

idk i've had this huge infatuation with black & gold lately, especially gold jewelry. i really dig the simplicity and color placement.

its funny on all the sales the eastland boots in black or that light brown color are on sale. but the brown ones are never on sale smh.i guess due to popular demand. i've never been a fan of black boots for some reason

Karmaloop had the browns on sale last week . Up to 40% off depending on how much you spent.

lol you guys are so funny, bc its not a high end brand or something thats trendy right now it gets a :x

No sir... it;s just ugly

I wear a Black Military Series G Shock almost everyday, and while it is a nice, high quality watch Casio is not a high end brand

Last edited:
Denim challenge includes denim shirts?

Yesterday work wear

Last edited:
When you guys get your jeans tapered do you get the leg opening the same width you would a pair of trousers/dress pants?

No sir... it;s just ugly
I wear a Black Military Series G Shock almost everyday, and while it is a nice, high quality watch Casio is not a high end brand
+1.

If you follow this thread you can see that price is not really a correlation factor. A lot of the members here are able to pick out nice outfits with not so much money spent. Regarding watches, I've seen a few members here rock Timex, and those are fine..understated and simple set ups.

When you guys get your jeans tapered do you get the leg opening the same width you would a pair of trousers/dress pants?

I prefer the leg opening to be around 7.5". I don't recall any brand doing their slim fit or slim straight in a greater number. I have done what you mentioned with a few of my dress trousers to accomplish a high water/no break look.

I feel like jeans don't need to be altered aside from a hem. There are so many cuts from so many brands out there that it's unlikely you won't find one satisfactory to your liking off the rack.

My dress pants are 7.5 leg opening and my jeans are usually anywhere from 6.8-7.2 leg opening. I have small feet (7D in dress shoes, 7.5 in nikes) so people with bigger feet will probably have a bit bigger leg opening

I prefer the leg opening to be around 7.5". I don't recall any brand doing their slim fit or slim straight in a greater number. I have done what you mentioned with a few of my dress trousers to accomplish a high water/no break look.
I typically get my dress pants at 7.75". I have a pair of levi's 520's which are 7" and are uncomfortably tight. I think I'm gonna try 7.5" for my jeans, see how they fit

I feel like jeans don't need to be altered aside from a hem. There are so many cuts from so many brands out there that it's unlikely you won't find one satisfactory to your liking off the rack.

My dress pants are 7.5 leg opening and my jeans are usually anywhere from 6.8-7.2 leg opening. I have small feet (7D in dress shoes, 7.5 in nikes) so people with bigger feet will probably have a bit bigger leg opening
My problem is I have pretty big thighs so I usually have to get slim straight jeans which are wider at the thigh but also at the leg.
The only jeans I wear otr are levi's 508 since they're slim but not tight at the thigh and have a tapered leg.

Back
Top Bottom